Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Rome, Florence, Milan, Venice - centrally located hotel importance?

Rome, Florence, Milan, Venice - centrally located hotel importance?

Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by opus2002
Can one stay in Rome and do the Pompeii trip in a day? I think we stayed in Pompeii area the last time, but can't quite remember.
From Rome to Pompeii (by train), you need to get a Roma Napoli train, then a Pompeii train which if you start early in the morning should be quite doable and then the reverse on the way home. It's about two hours (high speed train from Rome to Naples) if the connections work.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Plataimond, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH, OneWorld Boarding Group 5
Originally Posted by ckendall
From Rome to Pompeii (by train), you need to get a Roma Napoli train, then a Pompeii train which if you start early in the morning should be quite doable and then the reverse on the way home. It's about two hours (high speed train from Rome to Naples) if the connections work.
This is true, but beware the Circumvesuviana (Naples-Pompeii-Sorrento) train on weekends, especially Sundays, if the weather is nice. The train can potentially be packed to the gills with excited Napolitani heading for Sorrento. Mrs. keihin_242 and I had a fairly horrible ride to Pompeii on a Sunday in early May a couple of years back.

Also, Pompeii can become very hot even in the spring, so buy water in Naples (or carry from Rome) unless you don't mind paying the overpriced vendors around the Pompei Scavi - Villa dei Misteri station. Refreshments are even more expensive after you exit the Pompei ruins.

Depending on your plans, you may want to consider an ArteCard to cover admission to attractions and public transport. Pompeii is 11 EUR by itself; if you plan to see anything else, an ArteCard may be a good idea - you can buy them at Napoli Centrale train station and at many of the sites that accept the card.

If you do take the Circumvesuviana, try to board one of the express trains - they only take 22 minutes instead of 35 to reach Pompeii and you'll stop a lot less. Timetables are at the link above.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.