Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Florence [Merged thread]

Where to stay in Florence [Merged thread]

Old Mar 19, 19, 10:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, Nat'l EE, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
Not surprisingly the hotel wants E100+ for VIP car service at the airport! I will tell Mrs. B to grab a taxi...
Tiny little airport, FLR is. Hard to miss the taxi queue. Plenty of them lined up. To the right side when you come out of the tiny terminal, IIRC. Just keep your wits about you as you load up, its a busy area full of tourists.... if you catch my drift.

Was a nice ride when I did it last - clean Alfa 4dr hatchback of some variety. Female driver was pleasant and helpful, didn't speak much tho. Perfectly good for transport into the city.
Old May 10, 19, 10:13 am

I'm considering staying at either the Palazzo Vecchietti or Hotel Savoy for 2 nights, but we only have 1 full day in Florence. I haven't been in over a decade and it's my husband's first time, so we really want to stay at a good location. Is the Piazza della Repubblica a good choice and does anyone have any thoughts/experiences about those two hotels?
Old May 11, 19, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I'm considering staying at either the Palazzo Vecchietti or Hotel Savoy for 2 nights, but we only have 1 full day in Florence. I haven't been in over a decade and it's my husband's first time, so we really want to stay at a good location. Is the Piazza della Repubblica a good choice and does anyone have any thoughts/experiences about those two hotels?
Both hotels are well regarded. I don't think you'd have a problem with either one, honestly. That said, what do you plan to do for that full day? Florence is pretty compact, but if you were planning to spend the day south of the river, I'd tell you to stay in Oltrarno instead. If you haven't really figured out your plans yet, you've chosen a pretty central location in a city where that isn't a horribly important factor anywhere within the historic center, if that helps at all.
Old May 15, 19, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post
Both hotels are well regarded. I don't think you'd have a problem with either one, honestly. That said, what do you plan to do for that full day? Florence is pretty compact, but if you were planning to spend the day south of the river, I'd tell you to stay in Oltrarno instead. If you haven't really figured out your plans yet, you've chosen a pretty central location in a city where that isn't a horribly important factor anywhere within the historic center, if that helps at all.
It's my husband's first time there, so we're going to hit the major tourist sites: Uffizi, Academia and Duomo. Probably won't have time to go south of the river, especially since it'll be December and get dark early.
Old May 15, 19, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
It's my husband's first time there, so we're going to hit the major tourist sites: Uffizi, Academia and Duomo. Probably won't have time to go south of the river, especially since it'll be December and get dark early.
You should be fine then. You're roughly centered - Uffizi to the south, Accademia (with the Duomo along the way) to the north. FWIW, going south of the river after dark is a perfectly good idea - get a glass of wine at Enoteca Pitti Gola e Cantina, right across from Palazzo Pitti. It's pretty that way at night.
EmpressRouge likes this.