Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Rome or Rome Cavalieri

Old Sep 16, 11, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

I wasn't certain where to put this, so I thought I would try here. I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

My wife and I are going to Rome from July 14-18, 2012 and I was curious of some of the positives and negatives of those two properties.

Some of the facts:

1. We will be using points for either stay that is chosen.
2. Currently I am HHonors Gold but I am not certain that I will have status by the time we actually travel.
3. Currently Starwood Gold but I am not certain that I will have status by the time we actually travel.

Thinking through what we would be looking for the best I could come up with is this:

We are going to do some tourism but I don't HAVE to be on the doorstep of all things touristy. Being in a clean, safe area with some shops and/or restaurants nearby would be cool but is also not entirely necessary......other than that they both look great and I look forward to hearing any opinions of people that have stayed at one or both.

Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 11, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Cubswin View Post
I wasn't certain where to put this, so I thought I would try here. I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

My wife and I are going to Rome from July 14-18, 2012 and I was curious of some of the positives and negatives of those two properties.

We are going to do some tourism but I don't HAVE to be on the doorstep of all things touristy. Being in a clean, safe area with some shops and/or restaurants nearby would be cool but is also not entirely necessary......other than that they both look great and I look forward to hearing any opinions of people that have stayed at one or both.
Thanks!
Can only speak to the St. Regis. Great location, and we were able to get the Jr. Suite (just a larger room really) with some additional points. Coffee delivered (with warm milk) each morning....wonderful. July will be hot, so the more convenient location might be good. Other than taking a cab to the Vatican one morning, we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. Hired a tour guide through the concierge, which turned out great--passed by the lines at several sites.
Old Sep 16, 11, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic View Post
Can only speak to the St. Regis. Great location, and we were able to get the Jr. Suite (just a larger room really) with some additional points. Coffee delivered (with warm milk) each morning....wonderful. July will be hot, so the more convenient location might be good. Other than taking a cab to the Vatican one morning, we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. Hired a tour guide through the concierge, which turned out great--passed by the lines at several sites.
Great information, thanks!

Yeah, when I looked up the weather in July for Rome it said, "too hot for tourism" or something like that My wife is a school teacher though, and we have young kids that will be at camp at this time, so we have very limited dates that we can travel. We live in Tennessee, so I am hoping that the humidity and heat will just feel like home
Old Sep 16, 11, 1:31 pm

Great information, thanks!

Yeah, when I looked up the weather in July for Rome it said, "too hot for tourism" or something like that My wife is a school teacher though, and we have young kids that will be at camp at this time, so we have very limited dates that we can travel. We live in Tennessee, so I am hoping that the humidity and heat will just feel like home
It's never too hot or too cold for tourism :-) We were in Paris & London during last December's snowstorms, and had a terrific time. As long as you're prepared, it'll be great.
Old Sep 16, 11, 2:14 pm
Community Director

I prefer an in town location. And I like being able to return to the hotel during the day, certainly before going out to dinner. The Cavalieri requires either an expensive taxi ride or getting on one of their shuttle vans. It's far enough out I wouldn't want to make two trips into town in one day.
Old Sep 16, 11, 2:45 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I prefer an in town location. And I like being able to return to the hotel during the day, certainly before going out to dinner. The Cavalieri requires either an expensive taxi ride or getting on one of their shuttle vans. It's far enough out I wouldn't want to make two trips into town in one day.
Stayed at the Cavalieri and the shuttle to Piazza barberini is not bad when you take the fact that it has a nice pool into consideration.

Just cause you have the kids it might break up the heat
Old Sep 16, 11, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC View Post
Stayed at the Cavalieri and the shuttle to Piazza barberini is not bad when you take the fact that it has a nice pool into consideration.

Just cause you have the kids it might break up the heat
My post was misleading, sorry. The kids are not going with us. I can see how my mentioning the kids previously was confusing.

BUT, to your point, my wife is a big pool fan. It looks like the St. Regis does not have a pool based on what I am seeing on the SPG site? This will be a variable in the decision and I appreciate you bringing it up

Last edited by Cubswin; Sep 16, 11 at 3:07 pm
Old Sep 16, 11, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I had not considered the ease of returning to the hotel before dinner and that makes total sense. Going out to eat will be a large part of what we are looking forward to in Rome and I can certainly see why easy access to the hotel would be important.
Old Sep 16, 11, 10:37 pm

Both are nice, but would choose the Cavalieri

I've stayed at both and would have to say I really enjoyed the Cavalieri more. St Regis is nice but really you have to walk a lot or take a cab anyway to get to most places, so don't think that is much of an advantage. I think we spent about 10E for a cabs into town from the Cavalieri.

We really enjoyed the live music and view overlooking the city in the evenings from the Cavalieri.

Upgraded to Suite at St Regis which was very fancy but the rooms at the Cavalieri are quite large also.
Old Sep 17, 11, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by jamesfl View Post
I've stayed at both and would have to say I really enjoyed the Cavalieri more. St Regis is nice but really you have to walk a lot or take a cab anyway to get to most places, so don't think that is much of an advantage.
Prior to arriving, that was my concern (distance) but it seemed like everything was a 10-20 minute walk. We liked being able to ping back to the room once or twice a day, and being in the city. Cavalieri sounds great too, just depends on your mood and preferences. I doubt that I would have used the pool at all-would have rather been sitting in a cafe.

Definitely get a guide. They allow you to bypass the lines, and it makes a huge difference for the more popular sites.
Old Sep 17, 11, 11:11 am

My Wife and I just came back from the Cavarlieri 2 weeks ago. We are hilton gold, and used points for the 4 night stay. I'll give you some pros and cons of the place.
Pros: great breakfest, nice pool, perfect view of room if you get a rome facing that way, great service, nice rooms.

Cons: Last bus back to the hotel is 8pm (Taxi from the city will be 13-15 eruo), The lounge is really nothing more than a place with some free coke, water, beer and nut, room is clean but seems out dated for such a hotel. the top floor lounge is no longer open to gold or diamond.

Overall I would say stay closer to the city if you can, the Cavalier is not worth all the money or points needed to stay there. July will be really hot, if you are going to visit the Vatican museum, try to get there real early befoe it gets hot, because most of the rooms have no AC and you are just going to sweat along with a mass of humanity. Get some sun tan lotion and a nice straw hat for your wife, it should be into the mid-high 90s by July.
Oh one more thing, istead of taking a Taxi from the airport, get a private car from romecabs.com it's only 5 euro more, but you get a nice driver waiting for you at the airport with a sign and a nice Merc ride to the hotel. The best 50 euros we spent in rome. (need to tip of course) :-) have fun on your trip, we did!
Old Sep 17, 11, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ducktape View Post
My Wife and I just came back from the Cavarlieri 2 weeks ago. We are hilton gold, and used points for the 4 night stay. I'll give you some pros and cons of the place.
Pros: great breakfest, nice pool, perfect view of room if you get a rome facing that way, great service, nice rooms.

Cons: Last bus back to the hotel is 8pm (Taxi from the city will be 13-15 eruo), The lounge is really nothing more than a place with some free coke, water, beer and nut, room is clean but seems out dated for such a hotel. the top floor lounge is no longer open to gold or diamond.

Overall I would say stay closer to the city if you can, the Cavalier is not worth all the money or points needed to stay there. July will be really hot, if you are going to visit the Vatican museum, try to get there real early befoe it gets hot, because most of the rooms have no AC and you are just going to sweat along with a mass of humanity. Get some sun tan lotion and a nice straw hat for your wife, it should be into the mid-high 90s by July.
Oh one more thing, istead of taking a Taxi from the airport, get a private car from romecabs.com it's only 5 euro more, but you get a nice driver waiting for you at the airport with a sign and a nice Merc ride to the hotel. The best 50 euros we spent in rome. (need to tip of course) :-) have fun on your trip, we did!
As a Hilton Gold do you get free breakfast there?
Old Sep 17, 11, 12:22 pm

As a Hilton Gold do you get free breakfast there?
Yes, free breakfast for gold. It's one of the best hilton breakfast I've seen
Old Sep 17, 11, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Have only stayed at the Cavelieri. As mentioned above, it is not located exactly in Rome. It's near Rome, closer to Vatican City. However, like many have said, there's a shuttle bus that runs pretty frequently and getting to and from Rome is very easy. So, in terms of getting to and from Rome, location is not a problem. The only real drawback to location is that there's little to do around the hotel. So if you want to grab a bite to eat late at night, there are very few options around.

The hotel itself is very nice. The rooms were big, service impeccable, and Rome views were very nice. I stayed on the Imperial floor (or what-ever it's called) which offers access to the Imperial Room. I had booked a reward stay and then paid for the upgrade. I can't remember what I paid for the upgrade, but it was worth it. The lounge was the nicest I've ever been in. It provides several meal offerings (including a very good breakfast buffet if you're not Gold anymore - if you ARE gold, the free breakfast in the restaurant downstairs is even better). Also, all drinks... including alcohol... were free. Definitely upgrade to the Imperial floor if you stay here.
Old Sep 17, 11, 7:14 pm

Rome Hotel

Instead of the St. Regis, look at the Westin. Both take Starwood Points, but the Westin has a much better location and great Jr. Suites. The bar at the St. Regis is really neat but it's long way from the main tourist spots.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: