Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome Lodging Location Q

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Question Rome Lodging Location Q

We will have 2 or 3 days in Rome in November and I am starting to research lodging. I have noted on other threads that near the Trevi Fountain or Plaza Narvona are great areas to focus on.

However, I have come across a couple of affordable (and well reviewed) options in the San Giovanni neighborhood. Is that a good place to consider? Or too far from the major sights?

FWIW, we will be taking our Moms (70+) with us. Have not figured out the itinerary, tour guides, and transportation options yet.

Thanks for any help
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:30 am

I'd say the San Giovanni neighborhood is too remote. You could walk some places, but if you were closer in, that would be much more convenient. There are a few sights in that area, and there are buses and the metro, so it's not hopeless. But particularly for people 70+, it's very nice to be able to take a brief rest in the afternoon, and that would be much less convenient staying in San Giovanni.

It would likely help if you posted the address, though, to ensure the characterization is correct.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:58 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA ●Ritz-Carlton STARS TA ●FSPP TA ●Dorchester Collection Diamond Club
I'd agree with WillTravel; San Giovani is a little removed from downtown. Although quite accessible by bus or metro, it's not an area most tourists would walk in. It's very "blue-collar" with lots of shops and apartments. Convenient to San Giovanni in Laterano and Santa Scala - it's a hike to the Colosseo (probably the closest site). It would not be my choice if you've never been to Rome before.

I would suggest staying in the centro, for you Moms' sakes, although at least in November it won't be HOT! For hotels, I like to use booking.com and venere.com as they allow you to separate cities by neighborhood. (Those are the links directly to Rome hotels). Booking.com (on the left panel) allows more filtering. For apartments, I've used Roomorama in London, but not in Rome (as I lived there and had an apartment). They've been in Rome perhaps two years? They do offer some great savings.

Last edited by RinR; Jun 11, 2011 at 2:11 am
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillTravel
It would likely help if you posted the address, though, to ensure the characterization is correct.
OK, will take comments into account and reconsider the location.

Here is the address of one of the places I was looking at (fwiw) -- Hotel Re di Roma, Via Vercelli, 21 - 00182 Roma

Thanks for the comments
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RinR
For hotels, I like to use booking.com and venere.com as they allow you to separate cities by neighborhood. For apartments, I've used Roomorama in London, but not in Rome (as I lived there and had an apartment).
Thanks ^ Am familiar with venere.com and booking .com. Will check out roomorama -- was thinking a flat might be a good way to go, too.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Found a reasonably priced flat, the map looks central.

The description says "in Via dei Cappellari a few steps from Campo dè Fiori and Navona square in the heart of the historical centre"

Good location?

Last edited by ALadyNCal; Jun 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm
Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

rome really is built on 7 hills. all rome is uphill or downhill. unless your 70+ yo is in really good condition, budget about $50/ day for cabs. even short trips. from barbarini square(?) up to our hotel across from the american embassy was less than a mile, and up about the equivalent of 5 flights of stairs. take a cab.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal

The description says "in Via dei Cappellari a few steps from Campo dè Fiori and Navona square in the heart of the historical centre"

Good location?
FWIW, I use google earth when we travel. I Look up the hotel on the web and then put their address into google earth. You can see the hotel and surrounding area as well as it's relationship to places of interest..
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i do not know how many you be, but flats are not normally available or practical for a 2 night stay.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ncvet61
FWIW, I use google earth when we travel
True, I can look at a map. However, I am more interested in personal feedback on the actual location and neighborhood for this trip.
Originally Posted by slawecki
i do not know how many you be, but flats are not normally available or practical for a 2 night stay.
Now it might be 3-4 nights Even for 3 nights, it comes out allot less than three hotel rooms (for 5 adults).
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I was just in Rome 2 weeks ago, and I found the San Giovanni neighborhood (near the church) a rather refreshing respite from the hustle and bustle of most of Rome. With a metro line right there, the same metro that goes to Barbarini and Spanish Steps, I'd definitely consider it. The metro in Rome wasn't nearly as busy or complicated as London or Paris.

I guess much depends on what all you plan to do in Rome.

We stayed at the Cavalieri, which required either a cab or hotel shuttle anyway.

But then again, I've taken my now 79-year young mother on the NYC subway last year, and she survived just fine.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA / DL / MB
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal

Good location?

You'll certainly be in the middle of everything, with a great centralized location from which you can plan your day(s). It shouldn't be too crowded with tourists (it will still be busy nonetheless) and the weather will be pleasant (fingers crossed). I think it's a good choice...

I think "Good Location" is relative to what one enjoys. My idea of a good location for a Roman stay is the Trastevere neighborhood (I didn't just pick the name at random). It's away from the craziness but still a great Roman feel, in the city center, and not as far away from everything as San Giovanni. BUT, you do need to cross the bridges to get into the historic centro and with 70+ year old companions that may be cumbersome.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:32 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA ●Ritz-Carlton STARS TA ●FSPP TA ●Dorchester Collection Diamond Club
I'd agree with Trastevere; go where you're comfortable! I would suggest the "centro area" because it's more accessible, less hilly, and you can stop by your hotel for a break! But with the Rome public transportation system (metro or buses), you'll easily be able to get all over town.

I'm particlualr to the Prati section of town as that's where I've lived. (I also lived "on the Cassia" but that's too far out for you). Prati was great because of the markets, limited tourists, shops, and small-town feel - if you can actually get that in Rome! It's also well connected to the center via metro, bus, and tram. If that's what you're looking for, San G. could be an option for you. With with your mobility concerns, necessary breaks and accessibility, and your first time in Rome.... the centro area might still be your best option.

If you feel comfortable "commuting" to the sites via public transportation - or taxis - then you can stay anywhere.

Last edited by RinR; Jun 15, 2011 at 11:38 pm
Old Jun 20, 2011, 1:45 pm

re: Rome Lodging Location

Happy day,

We just returned and had a fantastic experience at Hotel Art By The Spanish Steps, which is about 3 blocks from the Spanish Steps Metro. Very quiet and posh area that backs up to the Borghese Gardens, newly renovated and very funky in terms of color scheme and the lobby pods. Ferdinand took good care of us. His recommendation on the Vatican tour saved us 6 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.