Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Carlton Cannes Archive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2000, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Cannes Intercont., been there?

Going to Cannes early December and am booked at the IC. Anyone stayed there? Any specific room category to look out for? (Am SCCS member).
Old Oct 22, 2000, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've been there many times, pre I-C and post. Interconti books a lot of meetings there, but it's still a great property. It isn't beach weather in December so there isn't much to do in Cannes, but nearby Cafe Roma is still good for a decent meal at a decent price. Still the beach side rooms are nicer than the inland rooms.
Old Oct 24, 2000, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
There was construction blocking the side view rooms when I was there in August. Make sure that you get a front room with a water view.
Originally posted by The Viking:
Going to Cannes early December and am booked at the IC. Anyone stayed there? Any specific room category to look out for? (Am SCCS member).
Old Oct 24, 2000, 5:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat AA, Starwood Plat 100, Hilton Diamond
The Carlton Intercontinental is the grand-dame of the hotels in Cannes. They spent the spring and early part of summer restoring the exterior of the hotel...and I'm led to belive that the interior furnishings are now undergoing a refurbishment, especially the rooms facing the sea.

Do stay there. you'll find out the true meaning of service there.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
Upgrade at at IC Cannes

Any tips on getting a room upgrade in Cannes. Will be there for about 10-days starting early July 4. Lovely hotel, but would always like to have an upgrade....

------------------
UA-GS/1K, (M-M)-AA/DL,
Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plt.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Be very polite at check-in and make sure they know you aren't "yet another demanding American". I've been upgraded at this hotel many times, going back to pre-IC days. The only time I didn't get an uprgrade was on 9/14/01 when 1000's of Americans were stranded in Europe. Yet they did hold my room for me which was pretty cool at the time.

Old Jun 10, 2003, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The biggest problem would be the length of your stay: 10 nights. Most hotels tend to limit upgrades to 5 nights, some less. This is in part because rooms must be available into the future period to cover actual bookings. If a better category room or suite is blocked off for you for 10 nights, it cannot be sold, or allocated to a paying customer.

Also, your profile doesn't indicate you have any status with IC or PC. Is this the case? If so, forget getting upgraded. As a basic member of the SCC, you would be entitled to a one grade upgrade from the category of room booked -- also not mentioned in your post -- but as an Ambassador or other elite, you'd get higher category of room. These would be covered for the length of your stay, since IC goes out of its way to serve its SCC members.

If you are a Plat PC member, you may get a one class upgrade, but don't expect anything grander, suite, etc.

But again, the length of your stay may post the major problem for much more than a single room class if you are not a top tier elite member of PC or more importantly, SCC.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:31 pm

You may get an upgrade to an 'executive room', which can be located a bit better than a 'standard room'. It won't have a sea view, and in fact, may face the back of the hotel. After several stays they upgraded me last March to one facing a side street, which was an improvement over the back of the hotel.

Regardless, you will love the service and the location of the hotel. Beware that because of the strong Euro, a diet coke on the terrace will cost + $8 US...and a beer will be around $9 US.

[This message has been edited by Jim90068 (edited 06-10-2003).]
Old Jun 11, 2003, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
With France on strike, Germany dealing with high unemployment, and the other turmoils going on in Europe, I am not sure I would characterize the Euro as "strong". Rather, I would think it is the rapid decline of a "weak" US dollar based on an underlying economy which is even worse than that of that of most European countries. The Fed has consciously set the US dollar on a downward spiral to make American goods and services more competitive abroad and try and stem the never-ending trade deficit, since the White House's deficits will further scare off foreign capital, and low interest rates have not sparked an economic upturn. Face it guys, the US has devalued the dollar, but won't admit it to save face.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 9:10 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
Agree with Shareholder. The US seems to forget that it will always import more that it exports in this economy, so its trade deficit will only increase by devaluation of the dollar.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:16 pm

I wasn't getting into a discussion about Economic theory....only pointing out that already expensive European luxury hotels are now even more expensive.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
Thanks for your comments. As always F/T is of great help.

------------------
UA-GS/1K, (M-M)-AA/DL,
Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plt.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but we really can't give you any reliable information if we don't know you status in PC or SCC since many of our comments are based on holding some sort of elite status. Or the category of room you originally booked.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
This hotel gave me a wonderful upgrade 2 years back when I was an ordinary participant in a large group that had booked a large part of the hotel. Originally assigned a room in the back, I phoned ahead and confirmed my SCC and AmexCent. status , politely asked for sea view upgrade, and upon checking in was assigned to a wonderful sea view one-bedroom suite, lovely view of the Croisette through two double sets of French doors.
Needless to say, my colleagues were rather envious...
Great service in general as well..
Old Jun 13, 2003, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will be part of a corporate group staying a week at a Fairmont starting this evening. Contacted the President's Club rep and then made arrangements for me to have an upgraded room with a river view. So membership in these types of programs, like SCC, does get you preferred treatment even when part of a bulk discounted group.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.