Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Singapore Archive Thread (prior to January 01, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2002, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
IC Singapore

Please tell me some of your experiences with the IC in Singapore?

Specifically, how are the rooms, health facilities, restaurants and closeness to the shopping/nightlife? I'm going there in January.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:39 pm
mjm
Original Member

Scott,

I spent many many nights there and i recommend it highly. I like the staff very much and find their attitude to be consistently good throughout the hotel. The rooms on the upper floors (some of them at least) will be undergoing a remodeling during that time (1/03) and as such you may find yourself on the lower floors. These are also nice rooms, but the higher floors are the newer feeling ones.

Near to nightlife is relative. If you want to stumble home after a big night in the Quay, then I would say soemthing like New Otani for price value. If you want to be right in the thick of it on Orchard road, the Grand Hyatt pops to mind. The most consistently recommeded hotel in SIN here on FT is the Conrad which is about the same ride on the subway (a couple stops) or in a taxi (S$5) that the IC is. Nowhere is far from anything else in SIN and the advantages that SCC has afforded me are worth opting for the IC. The best sports club I have seen in SIN is at the WESTIN (sorry SwissHotel) or possibly the Ritz-Carlton. The IC has a fair facility but it is absolutely nothing to write home about. It has a few aerobic cycling/jogging machines, a decent variety of weights (free and machine), jacuzzi and pool. I rate it low because I have seen so many better ones in Asia. On its own it is fair.

The Suntory restaurant is a client of mine and as such I think it is worth visiting. The rst of the food options at the IC while good are not extraordinary. You have wondeful choices in SIN, biut none of them are housed by the hotels except perhaps a big steak or a decent buffet high in the sky.

If you will be there in on 17, 18, or 19 Jan. you may want to look at the SIN thread shown below in my signmature. A few of us are going then too.

Best,

Mike

------------------
FT picture page (hosted by markbach)
My Starbucks City Mug Collection Page
NYC Football Bet Payoff Mini-Do
SIN Mid Jan. 2003.....Let the mileage begin.......
Old Nov 20, 2002, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
As mjm notes, this is a fine property located about three blocks east of Raffles Hotel and Raffles Place, the "centre" of Singapore city. It is on the MRT line, so easy to access most parts of the city, except for the complex around the Conrad, which is require a short cab ride or walk, depending upon your stamina and the temperature and humidity levels, always high.

Bugis Centre is the shopping complex attached to the IC -- similar to Eaton Centre, but about 1/3rd the size -- in which you will find a multiplex cinema, a department store [Seiyu] and food court. There is also a MRT station which is on the line from the airport, if you arrive or depart before 11pm and after 7am. Three blocks north you will find the Indian quarter, and a multi-story electronics mart filled with shops selling all sorts of cameras, computers, etc. in a modern day bazaar setting. Even if you aren't buying, it is worth a visit. Also on the north side of the complex, is a massive marketplace of stalls selling just about everything.

It is a short walk to the Art Gallery and History Museums, just north of Raffles Place. You are best to use the MRT to get up to Orchard Road and Scott where most of the major shopping malls and department stores are located [the Hyatt and Hilton are up here, the Sheraton a few blocks east on Scott].

Enjoy your trip. As you are in Toronto, if you'd like to borrow a couple of guidebooks, email me and I'll drop them in the post.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I'm so torn between 3 hotels right now.
IC - very close to the subway station, has good amenities, price is great (134 Cdn), cultural/historical district.

Conrad - upgrade to a higher floor (via Gold VIP), nice price (150 Cdn), spa is lacking, ok transportation (is it close to a MRT stop?) - business district

The Gallery Hotel (www.galleryhotel.com.sq)-The hotel won awards for its design, good prices, good gym, in the middle of nowhere (closest mrt station is Outram EW16, chic (like a W hotel with colour)

Help me decide...
Old Nov 20, 2002, 7:02 pm

If you want a fourth one to consider, we much prefer the Oriental at the marina. Much "warmer" staff than the IC, and a much more elegant facilities. (But I guess we're not destined to be IC customers - joined 6cc last summer and "did" a bunch of their hotels, and found none up to our expectations.)
Old Nov 24, 2002, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The Pan Pacific is an excellent hotel too. However I stayed at the I-C a few weeks ago and it was perfectly fine. It's walking distance to little India if you like that type of food.

The I-C just added high-speed internet and it was free while I was there.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:04 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
IC SIngapore

Am currently staying at the IC in Singapore. Happy to report all the renovations are over and just as important that the Club Intercontinental has re-opened after being closed for 6 months. Peter is still there and it seems most of the usual and friendly Hotel staff are still around.

The rooms no longer have the old white marble floors in the hallway and bath. It has been replaced by a nice cream and brown patterned marble. The water pressure in the showers has improved. There is also high-speed internet access in the rooms at S$25/24 hours. However, the TV's and the TV reception have not been improved.

And across the street, the National Library has finished with the sub-basements but still no vertical structures. It would make a great parking lot.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Rennovations already. Seems like just a few years ago I first stayed there, shortly after it had opened. Received a very nice silver bookmark, engraved with their ChopHouse "logo", as my SCC gift. I have stayed there for a few nights on all my subsequent SIN Run trips. Wondered what they were going to build on that big empty lot. They were just finishing the dig when I was last there... Thanks for the update.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:52 pm

IC Singapore Club Lounge to Move

I heard from some of the staff at the IC that Club lounge on the 11th floor is going to be moving to somewhere on the 2nd floor. Time frame is around the end of this year or the beginning of next. Presumably, and hopefully, bigger quarters. Now that the National Library is almost completed the view out the lounge window is almost all gone, unless you like looking at the Library.

IMO, the level of service there of late has not been quite up to par. Certainly not the fault of the staff's effort but just too many people for the two, and rarely three, people that staff it. Both rooms in the lounge are usually full for breakfast and the cocktail hour is packed as well. Too many empty tables now with dirty dishes waiting to be cleared, cleaned and reset. They need at least one more full time person and hopefully they will get it when they move.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:04 pm

Programs: Platinum Royal Ambassador,GC Elite,HH Gold,DC Gold,*A Gold
Is it really that bad at the minute as I was thinking about booking a club room for the 24th Jan??

What sort of food and drinks servings do they have in there??? any champagne or alcohol served in there during the afternoon evening besides the cocktail hour??

Thanks
Dino

Originally Posted by inlanikai
I heard from some of the staff at the IC that Club lounge on the 11th floor is going to be moving to somewhere on the 2nd floor. Time frame is around the end of this year or the beginning of next. Presumably, and hopefully, bigger quarters. Now that the National Library is almost completed the view out the lounge window is almost all gone, unless you like looking at the Library.

IMO, the level of service there of late has not been quite up to par. Certainly not the fault of the staff's effort but just too many people for the two, and rarely three, people that staff it. Both rooms in the lounge are usually full for breakfast and the cocktail hour is packed as well. Too many empty tables now with dirty dishes waiting to be cleared, cleaned and reset. They need at least one more full time person and hopefully they will get it when they move.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dino2020
Is it really that bad at the minute as I was thinking about booking a club room for the 24th Jan??

What sort of food and drinks servings do they have in there??? any champagne or alcohol served in there during the afternoon evening besides the cocktail hour??

Thanks
Dino
I wouldn't characterize it as "bad". Its just not what you have been used to. It's a "hurried" atmosphere at times and the room can sometimes look like an 8 year old just had a slumber party but you do get served just fine. But all things considered it is still very good and the servers are warm, engaging and very good at their job. There just isn't enough of them to handle the load of people during most of the breakfast and cocktail periods.

Alcohol is only served during cocktail hours 6-8pm but I have been offered coffee/tea/soft drinks during off hours. They have a full range of liquor, beers, wine and champagne along with hot snacks, cheese & crackers and nuts. Afternoon Tea is 3-5pm and offers cakes, scones, etc with coffee/tea/soft drinks.

Breakfast is a buffet table of juice, fruit, cheese, breads, pastries, cereals and smoked fish. You can also get made to order eggs, bacon, ham, sausage, fried rice. There is no little menu on the table showing the breakfast menu like there is in some other IC Clubs, but they will ask you if you would like anything, again if they are not running around crazy due to the number of guests.

Coffee is fresh made per order and, for my taste, is some of the best I've found.

Go for it! You'll enjoy it there.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:24 pm

Guess I must of been spoiled at The Le Grand in Paris with Alcohol and food served all day long especially the Champagne

I can only drink so many cocktails in an hour

Think I might just go for the deluxe with breakfast and save the extra money required as it just doesnt seem worth the extra at this property, I am not a huge drinker but it is nice to have a beer in the afternoon after been dragged around shopping for half the day

Dino

Originally Posted by inlanikai
I wouldn't characterize it as "bad". Its just not what you have been used to. It's a "hurried" atmosphere at times and the room can sometimes look like an 8 year old just had a slumber party but you do get served just fine. But all things considered it is still very good and the servers are warm, engaging and very good at their job. There just isn't enough of them to handle the load of people during most of the breakfast and cocktail periods.

Alcohol is only served during cocktail hours 6-8pm but I have been offered coffee/tea/soft drinks during off hours. They have a full range of liquor, beers, wine and champagne along with hot snacks, cheese & crackers and nuts. Afternoon Tea is 3-5pm and offers cakes, scones, etc with coffee/tea/soft drinks.

Breakfast is a buffet table of juice, fruit, cheese, breads, pastries, cereals and smoked fish. You can also get made to order eggs, bacon, ham, sausage, fried rice. There is no little menu on the table showing the breakfast menu like there is in some other IC Clubs, but they will ask you if you would like anything, again if they are not running around crazy due to the number of guests.

Coffee is fresh made per order and, for my taste, is some of the best I've found.

Go for it! You'll enjoy it there.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:40 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I agree that its a bit too small and sometimes feels understaffed at breakfast.
I'm staying there over the Christmas weekend, so I hope the move is done by then.

Incidently, you can bring an additional guest in to the lounge for breakfast/tea/drinks. Two hours of free champagne is an excellent way to start off a date

Dino,

If you don't think the club access would be worth it without all-day drinks, book a Shophouse room instead of a Deluxe and you'll get your Ambassador upgrade to a Junior Suite without the lounge access. Extra space and free broadband more than makes up for the S$30 difference in price between the Deluxe and Shophouse bookings.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:04 am

How fast is the broadband over there??

And I thought it was only an hour for free drinks ???

Dino

Originally Posted by Savage25
I agree that its a bit too small and sometimes feels understaffed at breakfast.
I'm staying there over the Christmas weekend, so I hope the move is done by then.

Incidently, you can bring an additional guest in to the lounge for breakfast/tea/drinks. Two hours of free champagne is an excellent way to start off a date

Dino,

If you don't think the club access would be worth it without all-day drinks, book a Shophouse room instead of a Deluxe and you'll get your Ambassador upgrade to a Junior Suite without the lounge access. Extra space and free broadband more than makes up for the S$30 difference in price between the Deluxe and Shophouse bookings.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:17 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dino2020
How fast is the broadband over there??

And I thought it was only an hour for free drinks ???

Dino
Its faster than a dialup

I didn't measure it but I'm guessing I was probably getting a 512Kbps to 1Mbps connection.

Back on topic, the "Cocktail Hour" lasts from 6 to 8pm like inlanikai said.(stretchable by a bit if you're nice about it, although they do come around at 7.50pm to let you know that they will be ending the drinks soon)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.