Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC New York Times Square [preopening master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

NEW HOTEL - InterContinental New York Times Square

I couldn't find on FT if this was already posted or not, but I noticed on the Intercontinental website that a new hotel (Summer 2010) is coming to Times Square in NYC. Looks like the Barclay will have some competition.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/interco...rk-timessquare
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I saw this to on the IC Website.

The location is good for business as well as pleasure travelers. I hope it is going to be designed like the IC in SF.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
This link shows all of the scheduled openings for the IC properties. Pretty handy for planning future vacations if you ask me. Hope it helps.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by globaltrotter
I couldn't find on FT if this was already posted or not
It was ...on 19th February
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...posals-47.html
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:56 am

IC New York Times Square [preopening master thread]

photos here

http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=225795063575
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
This is making me more and more want the IC times square to open ASAP.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:14 am

Not surprisingly, no availability Dec 31, 2010.

As an RA, wondering if I can push the guaranteed room availability benefit, or if this is going to be one of the rare exceptions where they say no. That's a gray area in the RA bennies.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by awpeters
As an RA, wondering if I can push the guaranteed room availability benefit, or if this is going to be one of the rare exceptions where they say no. That's a gray area in the RA bennies.
Actually, there are very few times when the RA IC 24 hour room availability guarantee can be denied. (The 72 hour Platinum guarantee at all brands allows for exceptions for a small number of dates determined in advance and listed in Holidex in advance as a special event; there is no such exception for the RA IC reservation benefit).

The only exception would be if the hotel has been "completely reserved by the Government". New Year's Eve isn't likely to fall into that category.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...tml#ambassador
Guaranteed room availability for one room occupied by the Royal Ambassador with 24-hour advance reservation. Reservations must be made before 12:00 midday (local hotel time) 24 hours prior to intended arrival for room availability to be guaranteed. Only in exceptional circumstances where the hotel has been completely reserved by the Government and with explicit Priority Club Rewards approval, may a reservation be declined.
EDIT:
There is availability for New Year's eve at the property--there is, however, a 3 night minimum length of stay in place. Expensive, though, at ca. $500/night!
That would be a great point redemption--one should definitely watch for when the property loads award nights into the system. Usually, new properties don't have reward nights loaded until right before opening.

Last edited by soitgoes; Feb 19, 2010 at 12:13 pm
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
That's artists rendering looks kind of ugly, to me. I stayed at the IC Barclay last year, and was thoroughly unimpressed.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes

EDIT:
There is availability for New Year's eve at the property--there is, however, a 3 night minimum length of stay in place. Expensive, though, at ca. $500/night!
That would be a great point redemption--one should definitely watch for when the property loads award nights into the system. Usually, new properties don't have reward nights loaded until right before opening.

Thats a frustrating 3 night minimum.

Can they force an RA to stay 3 nights? Couldn't, perhaps, an RA call in advance and say, there seems to be no availability on Dec 31, I need a one night stay.

I have not explored this benefit much at all, but I agree it couldn't be excused for a government event.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
That's artists rendering looks kind of ugly, to me. I stayed at the IC Barclay last year, and was thoroughly unimpressed.
I believe the IC Barclay is supposed to undergo renovations next year. Once the new IC opens a few blocks away, the dilapidated Barclay would risk losing a lot of business if it didn't improve itself.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by awpeters
Thats a frustrating 3 night minimum.
Sometimes you can book the required nights and then modify the booking to drop the additional nights.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Any other Futurama fans amused by the title of this thread?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Actually, there are very few times when the RA IC 24 hour room availability guarantee can be denied. (The 72 hour Platinum guarantee at all brands allows for exceptions for a small number of dates determined in advance and listed in Holidex in advance as a special event; there is no such exception for the RA IC reservation benefit).

The only exception would be if the hotel has been "completely reserved by the Government". New Year's Eve isn't likely to fall into that category.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...tml#ambassador

EDIT:
This is the night where you really need to use a BOGO
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
NYT Article mentions the new InterContinental NYC

This New York Times article mentions the new IC going up in New York. Didn't know Todd English was opening a restaurant in the hotel as well.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
This New York Times article mentions the new IC going up in New York.
A dozen New York City hotels have defaulted on their loans or are in foreclosure, receivership or bankruptcy, according to Real Capital Analytics, a research firm. Among these were the W Hotel on Union Square, the Four Seasons on 57th Street between Madison and Park Avenues, and the Time Hotel on 49th Street between Broadway and Eighth Avenues.

Wow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.