Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

CP London (City/Blackfriars) Master Thread (becomes Hyatt Regency on March 01, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Crowne Plaza London City

19 New Bridge St,
London, EC4V 6DB, United Kingdom
Mail: loncy.info [@] ihg.com
Tel: +44 871 9429190
Fax: +44 207 4388080

Link to hotel:
https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cy/hoteldetail

Link to location:
Google Maps

Next tube / subway station:
Blackfriars Station served by Circle Line and District Line

Older post of this hotel:
Archive Thread
Print Wikipost

CP London (City/Blackfriars) Master Thread (becomes Hyatt Regency on March 01, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)

When staying on points at CP City can we upgrade to lounge access? If so how much will they charge and is it worth it?

I know they don't generally upgrade plats to lounge access as I stayed there recently, but I arrived very late that day (snow delays) and had to leave early so there was no point taking the lounge that time.

Note from Modeator:
Older post prior to this post could be found in the archive thread of this property:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...l#post28177819

Thank you
FLYGVA
Moderator IHG Forum

Last edited by FLYGVA; Apr 14, 2017 at 7:42 am
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by browserden
I know they don't generally upgrade plats to lounge access as I stayed there recently
I get club access when staying at this hotel (but never stayed on points at this property)
The club lounge is not big, but elegantly decorated ( as the whole hotel)
Drinks and canapés in the evening
Free internet
Closed for breakfast during week-ends (coupon offered for - excellent - breakfast at restaurant)
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, iPrefer Gold
I stay there a lot - about once a week, and I'm a RA.

I usually get club lounge FOC, but it can be hit and miss, and seems as though it depends who checks you in - and indeed whether you're on a paid stay or points. I would say that paid stays, always booking the cheapest room gives me club lounge 90% of the time, whereas reward nights will be more like 60%.

The usual excuse is that "we are busy so can't let you have it this time" - but it's worth challenging on a paid stay. But on a reward night, it will depend on your overall status, or perhaps in this case, the lack of regularity at the hotel. FWIW you should get free internet (and movies), and an upgrade, but don't "expect" more as you will be disappointed.

Free booze and canapes are worth having in the lounge, as is the free complimentary breakfast in the club lounge (continental). I have (although rarely) been offered to get access (when it has been denied) for around £30 plus vat. Not bad value if you really do use it (ie drink !).

Hope that helps

RB
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

If £30 is the going rate I'm more than happy to pay that. When you consider I spent the same amount if points as I'd pay in a London HIX then £30 seems a bargain. But as I'm trying to not spend a lot I won't be paying much more than 30
Old Jan 2, 2011, 4:47 pm

What's your priority club/ambassador status?

RB
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redbus
What's your priority club/ambassador status?

RB
Platinum
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
When phoning in advance of a stay I was told (as ra) that would have to pay £80+vat for club access. Seemed wrong as more than difference between normal and club room but that's what I was told even when I queried it.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:49 am

Programs: platinum intercontinental /gold marriott /spg platinum
lounge access

in my experience you normally have to pay
and remember some time u/e to exec floors does not give access which is really very odd as other chains if platinum you get it for free
Originally Posted by browserden
When staying on points at CP City can we upgrade to lounge access? If so how much will they charge and is it worth it?

I know they don't generally upgrade plats to lounge access as I stayed there recently, but I arrived very late that day (snow delays) and had to leave early so there was no point taking the lounge that time.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:04 am

Well - we all know that prices can vary on this, even at the same property. This has been discussed at length elsewhere re Intercontinental Hotels club lounge prices charged.

Suffice to say I was offered for about £30 plus vat - more than once, but clearly the price can vary - and, don't forget, I'm a regular so they might have been giving me access for a "regulars" price.

My sense here is that you're unlikely to get Club Lounge automatically, unfortunately. But as suggested elsewhere in this thread, it might be worth contacting the staff (who are excellent) in advance of your stay to find out the score.

Again, it has been noted on other threads, that Plat-Ambs, and RAs seem to get better treatment at some CPs than Platinum members.

RB

Last edited by redbus; Jan 3, 2011 at 4:14 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:27 am

I emailed the hotel about an upcoming reward stay in May as a platinum member. I originally got an email that said "In regards of the Executive Lounge access, as per our terms and conditions, is always subject to availability but as you are platinum member we will do our best to give you a complimentary room upgrade subject to availability" This was sent by someone with the title of reception supervisor.

However, the following day I got another email that said "If you wish to have access to our Executive Lounge that comes with a separate supplement of £60 per room per night which entitles you with complimentary breakfast in the morning, soft drinks during the day and alcoholic drinks and canapés in the evening" This email was sent by someone with the title of front desk manager.

It seems that there is an inconsistent policy regarding lounge access. I'm adding two days paid stay at the end of my reward stay and using the 2 for 1 lounge access is 22 pounds more a night so I'll probably pay the extra for the two pay nights at the end and see if I have any luck getting upgraded for the reward part of the stay (the first 4 days). I'm going to pass on the 60 pounds per night supplement. Anyone have any luck getting access for the entire stay when combining pay and reward rooms?

Last edited by greg999; Jan 3, 2011 at 9:33 am
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
I know this has already been mentioned in many threads in the past but I firmly believe if one is upgraded to a Club Room then they should have Club Lounge Access. Not giving it IMO is completely against the spirit of the program. After all if you book a Club room...you get lounge access! Therefore being upgraded to said room should also include any benefits associated with that room.

I also checked with this hotel during the £20.12 day and was too quoted £60 for lounge access. Personally I wouldn't pay £60 for their club lounge. Its the same price as the IC London charge for RAs for access to their lounge which is miles better than that of the CP City. So for me, £60 for their lounge is not a very attractive deal.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

After all the replies here I decided to phone the hotel and ask. I was told they would upgrade me to club if possible but they'd not include lounge access.

I asked about if I could get it with a supplement and was quoted £80! I thought price123 had made a typo when they said that price as others were quoting £60 or less but I've been told the same.

How can this be? It's way too much for a CP. I've never even been charged as much in an IC.

Shall I cancel and try my luck with Shoreditch? I know there a club room is a club room but they don't have as many club rooms and are likely to prioritise paying plats for upgrades.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I don't really think the lounge is a big deal unless you are staying with a few people and plan to exploit the free booze.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by britbronco22
I don't really think the lounge is a big deal unless you are staying with a few people and plan to exploit the free booze.
If I have work to do on my laptop it makes a nice change in surroundings from working in the room. I'd be happier being told (KLM style) "That is not possible" rather than being offered it at a sky high fee (when £60 appears to be the average for this hotel).
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
2009 at the CP Kensington they charged GBP50 per room for a club upgrade. I thought this was worth the money as long as you planned to take advantage of their evening drinks and canapes as well as breakfast.

At Christmas 2010 the upgrade was seventy something pounds (70 or 75, can't remember exactly). I thought this was pushing it a bit for value.

It looks like the CP The City is doing the same and increasing their prices. Are they getting greedy or were the lounges getting overcrowded at the old rates?

At the IC Wien (Vienna) recently, they charged 70 euros a night lounge access - but you got a lot more than a CP typically provides. Breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner provided, beer and soft drinks always available with an increased alcohol selection in the evening. Free WiFi or internet enabled computers available and you can also book the meeting room there when available.

The number of hotels that offer lounge access complimentary to elites seems to be getting smaller. I think it's because it's way too easy to become platinum. The cost of providing food and drinks in the lounge may outweigh the income they make from you particularly if you pay with points or a promotional rate like 20.12.

They really need a Royal Ambassador like tier for all IHG brands and then offer us some decent benefits in all chains. I've never seen a Crowne Plaza suite before, but I see them all the time in ICs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.