Guaranteed walk?

Old Aug 8, 09, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I have never been walked and been living at hotels since 2004. Sometimes when the online doesn't have any availability you can just call the hotel directly and book the room. It works the other way as well as the OP noticed. Sometimes the reservation systems are not synced realtime.
Old Aug 8, 09, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wonderbret View Post
Wow. That hotels priorities need to be adjusted. Not only should they not walk you because your plat (which, lets face it, isn't all that hard to get nowadays) but because you used the override, your paying the rack/Best Flex (highest) rate. If you dont show up, they still bill you the rack rate. If they have to walk you, they no longer get that money.
Not only that, but the terms of the Plat override specifically contemplate this scenario and seem to prohibit a guest on override from being walked (presumably because the temptation might be so great for the hotel to simply walk the Plat override guests, thus defeating the purpose of the override).
Old Aug 9, 09, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Recently at an HIX, I overheard a more "veteran" clerk telling her "junior" something to the effect of "if an elite asks for an upgrade, give it to them!" He asked something I don't quite recall (having to do with juggling suites?), but I recall her response of " ... because elites complain about (report to IHG?) 'bad' stays." I think most managers know that walking Plats will result in unfavorable publicity. Moreover, they're unlikely to walk guests booked via the IHG website where they'd have to "eat" the night.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: