Candlewood Suites Times Square
339 W 39th St,
New York, New York NY 10018, USA

Tel +1 212 967-2254

Link to hotel
www.ihg.com/candlewood/hotels/us/en/new-york/nyccw/hoteldetail
http://www.nyctimessquarehotel.com

Public transportaion
next subway station: 42th Street / Port Authority Bus Terminal, served by A Line, C Line, E Line

The hotel is not directly at Times Square
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2009, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I noticed that the Candlewood Suites Times Square is accepting reservations beginning June 9. Since I have tentative plans to be in New York City over Labor Day, I thought I'd try to redeem points there as it should be 15K/night as a Candlewood. However, it seems that there isn't a single reward night available at any time.

Is this just a rate loading glitch?

I'll try calling PC to make a point reservation.

Last edited by soitgoes; Jul 22, 2009 at 12:56 pm
Old Feb 7, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: FD silver, PC plat. royal ambassador, SPG gold, HH gold, MR silver
Please let us know if you managed to book a rewards night
Old Feb 7, 2009, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So far no luck. The phone rep doesn't see any availability either. I'm on hold for a supervisor.

EDIT: They transferred me to PC (the other reps were in Reservations). The PC rep confirmed rooms are 15,000 points and is now looking into whether the rates are loaded.

EDIT: The hotel isn't currently set up to interface with the PC system or some such nonsense. Apparently this happens with all new hotel openings--they can take paid reservations before they can take award reservations. I was told that the award rooms would be loaded by June 9, and if I called back after June 9 if that weren't the case, they would be able to push an award reservation through.

Last edited by soitgoes; Feb 7, 2009 at 3:05 pm
Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:43 am

Programs: FD silver, PC plat. royal ambassador, SPG gold, HH gold, MR silver
Thanks ^
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bumping this because the Candlewood Suites as well as the Holiday Inn Express are now open. Both are available for 15K point reward nights.

More info here on this very interesting project, which also includes a Hampton Inn--all in the same building, is available on HotelChatter, under TriPack: http://www.hotelchatter.com/tag/Tri-Pack%20Hotel

Of note for those who like space is that the architect is popular for his ability to squeeze 25% more rooms into the same space when compared to other architects.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...rd_night/nyccw
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/...es/nycws&ias=y
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Bumping this because the Candlewood Suites as well as the Holiday Inn Express are now open. Both are available for 15K point reward nights.

More info here on this very interesting project, which also includes a Hampton Inn--all in the same building, is available on HotelChatter, under TriPack: http://www.hotelchatter.com/tag/Tri-Pack%20Hotel
I'm rather confused by the stuff just added at that link. Most of the (older) discussion below it says it's a Holiday Inn Express, but in the lastest (top) article (from July 24) it claims it's called Holiday Inn Time Square (no Express), and that it's part of the Holiday Inn brand re-launch (and only Holiday Inn, not Express, is getting the big brand re-launch described in the article).

So which is it???
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm rather confused by the stuff just added at that link. Most of the (older) discussion below it says it's a Holiday Inn Express, but in the lastest (top) article (from July 24) it claims it's called Holiday Inn Time Square (no Express), and that it's part of the Holiday Inn brand re-launch (and only Holiday Inn, not Express, is getting the big brand re-launch described in the article).

So which is it???
It's a Holiday Inn Express.
I think the confusion comes from the IHG press release issued yesterday, which does indeed refer to the Holiday Inn Express Times Square as being the 1,000th relaunched Holiday Inn:
http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?PageID=116&NewsID=2323

Since both HI and HIX are undergoing the relaunch, I guess they're grouping the relaunch stuff under one umbrella.

Last edited by soitgoes; Jul 24, 2009 at 10:49 am
Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Of note for those who like space is that the architect is popular for his ability to squeeze 25% more rooms into the same space when compared to other architects.
Looking at his photo, by loosing his hair, he also heavily increased the free available surface of his scalp
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Has anyone stayed at the Candlewood yet? I'm booking rooms for my sister's NYC trip in October and this seems like a steal at 15K points a night for a week's stay.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Savage25
Has anyone stayed at the Candlewood yet? I'm booking rooms for my sister's NYC trip in October and this seems like a steal at 15K points a night for a week's stay.
Stayed there for two nights a few weeks ago -- pleasant staff, no real complaints. A small problem with the room was taken care of right away. Its in a pretty convenient location -- one block east and one block north (I believe) and you're at the Port Authority subway station.

The only really annoying thing is that there are only two elevators for the entire building, so there is some occasional waiting. That being said, for 15K (which is how I paid), can't really complain.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I've booked a stay for October on points and cash. I chose the 5,000 points plus $60 option (per night), to help keep a reserve of points for other possible redemptions. A real steal for NYC (and currently the only 15K point option in Manhattan). ^

I'm kind of surprised to learn of the under-elevatoring -- but maybe that's part of the "trick" for squeezing more rentable space out of the building.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf

I'm kind of surprised to learn of the under-elevatoring -- but maybe that's part of the "trick" for squeezing more rentable space out of the building.
Well, its a byproduct of the crazy division of the building -- there are more than two elevators on each floor, but the Candlewood "section" only has two (and "section" is for all intents and purposes its own building -- its not until you look at it from outside that you realize how they've divided the building). Each floor of the Candlewood "section" though only has like 4-6 rooms, so its not that bad.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by rbessler
Well, its a byproduct of the crazy division of the building -- there are more than two elevators on each floor, but the Candlewood "section" only has two (and "section" is for all intents and purposes its own building -- its not until you look at it from outside that you realize how they've divided the building). Each floor of the Candlewood "section" though only has like 4-6 rooms, so its not that bad.
Well, how bad it is depends also on how many stories the building has (and how often passengers ride up and down the elevators).

This is a pretty tall building, no?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

36 stories
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:11 pm

Well, how bad it is depends also on how many stories the building has (and how often passengers ride up and down the elevators).

Yep, and it's even worse when only one of them is operating as it was last Wed. when I was there.

My 3 night stay was very nice. ^

Last edited by DallaStarwooDelta; Sep 15, 2009 at 7:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.