FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Newbie on course to hit Plat - is it worth it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/884626-newbie-course-hit-plat-worth.html)

Swiss Tony Nov 2, 2008 11:20 pm

Newbie on course to hit Plat - is it worth it?

Hi,

OK, I'll be honest here. I've never been one to go chasing status with a specific hotel chain, instead preferring to have the flexibility to stay wherever I want and picking up whatever promos are being thrown about by the airlines (hence Marriott Gold).

However I've recently been staying in the CP in London off and on. This, combined with the rather generous bonus points offers and the fact that they seem to count for status means i'm thundering my way towards Platinum on points (not stays). I picked up almost 13k points for my last two night stay so only need another 9k to hit target.

Obviously I need to do this by the year end and time is starting to ebb away, so what do I do???

The 50% bonus on base points, whilst attractive at first, is somewhat offset by the fact this is a small %age of overall points given the other bonus offers open to all.

So how likely am I to actually see any benefit from the room upgrades?

And are they at all decent with late check-outs, or is it the usual messing around trying to get something sorted out type affair?

Specifically I need to stay in HKG at the start of next year and am trying to decide between the JW Marriott and one of the ICs...

Any advice welcome!

kkjay77 Nov 3, 2008 12:32 am

At the InterContinental, PC Plat means nothing (or very little).
If you really want recognation at the IC, then you'd want Ambassador status (or Royal Ambassador).
PC Gold Ambassador will be treated better than PC Plat.

Swiss Tony Nov 3, 2008 2:01 am

OK, so discounting the HKG deal (I can stay at the Marriott) is PC Plat going to give me much at Holiday Inns/CPs, or is it all style over substance?

ErasmusEBS Nov 3, 2008 3:45 am

I think that the consensus view here on the board is that the main benefit of achieving Platinum is the 50% points bonus and, for those with such needs, the guaranteed room availability. Personally I have been quite lucky with upgrades/perks over the last two years as a platinum member, but I guess it also depends on what places you actually travel to. To get an impression of the benefits, have a look in the "Please post your Priority Club Elite experiences"-thread. Good luck!

Kiwi Flyer Nov 3, 2008 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony (Post 10619989)
OK, so discounting the HKG deal (I can stay at the Marriott) is PC Plat going to give me much at Holiday Inns/CPs, or is it all style over substance?

It depends. I've been very lucky with upgrades even as gold (and now also as platinum) at HIs and CPs.

VIP Nov 3, 2008 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 10621949)
It depends. I've been very lucky with upgrades even as gold (and now also as platinum) at HIs and CPs.

Have you seen any practical differences in the upgrades due to gold vs plat? From my limited experience, HIs and CPs treat both (relatively) similarly.

Radioman Nov 3, 2008 11:36 am

Hi
I have also been very lucky with upgrades apart from the HI Dublin City (what a dump) and the HI Birmingham Airport (still waiting for the manager to contact me after a few complaints...hmmm).

But in general its been very good to have PC Plat. Some folk have just been unlucky with their upgrades etc.

speedster1978 Nov 3, 2008 2:31 pm

I hardly get upgraded... do I need to ask more firmly for an upgrade... or should they be upgrading me to a nicer room before I even get to check-in?

Radioman Nov 3, 2008 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by speedster1978 (Post 10623447)
I hardly get upgraded... do I need to ask more firmly for an upgrade... or should they be upgrading me to a nicer room before I even get to check-in?

Hi
If you dont get upgraded then ask them why you have not been upgraded. See what excuse they give.

regards

mnredfox Nov 3, 2008 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by ErasmusEBS (Post 10620144)
I think that the consensus view here on the board is that the main benefit of achieving Platinum is the 50% points bonus and, for those with such needs, the guaranteed room availability. Personally I have been quite lucky with upgrades/perks over the last two years as a platinum member, but I guess it also depends on what places you actually travel to. To get an impression of the benefits, have a look in the "Please post your Priority Club Elite experiences"-thread. Good luck!

I've been very happy with PC plat without RA. I only have had a handful of stays thus far, but with the promos/bonuses/upgrades/5K pt redemption levels I've been quite pleased. I say go for it, can't hurt to have plat. :D

speedster1978 Nov 3, 2008 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Radioman (Post 10623543)
Hi
If you dont get upgraded then ask them why you have not been upgraded. See what excuse they give.

regards

Quite a few times I've been told that they have no upgrades available as they are booked, yet see barely any cars in the parking lot... go figure...

What have you seen as common excuses, and any good counters?

Kiwi Flyer Nov 3, 2008 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by VIP (Post 10622051)
Have you seen any practical differences in the upgrades due to gold vs plat? From my limited experience, HIs and CPs treat both (relatively) similarly.

Too early to say. I've only had a couple of stays as plat - one upgraded and one didn't (the hotel was full that night).

Swiss Tony Nov 4, 2008 12:34 am

Thanks for that - and the pointer to the thread about Priority Club experiences - as I had only noticed the Ambassador one...

I'm confident I'll hit the level very soon although it would have been faster if the £ had held up against the $, it's more a question of whether I'll have the GM throwing rose petals at my feet when I walk into the local HIEX or if it's just going to be business as usual I suppose...

BarmyArnie Nov 4, 2008 12:56 am

You say that you have been staying at the CP London off and on (althoughy you do not specify which one)
I stay at the CP City of London from time to time always booking the cheapest available room and have always been given a Club Floor room with Lounge access. So if only for your London stays the Plat. would be worth it.

Radioman Nov 4, 2008 1:25 am

Originally Posted by speedster1978 (Post 10626178)
Quite a few times I've been told that they have no upgrades available as they are booked, yet see barely any cars in the parking lot... go figure...

What have you seen as common excuses, and any good counters?

Hi
If this happens you should try and check priorityclub.com and see what rooms are still free. Also make sure you fill out one of the comments cards....