Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie on course to hit Plat - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pmaddock
I'm currently Diamond with Hilton and have been Plat with Marriott and got Plat with IHG this year. Basically I see the program as a bit of a trade off - you can get Plat pretty easy with all the promos but the value of Plat isn't as high. Comparing IGH Plat to HH Diamond:

IHG good:
1. easy to earn and keep status (esp since even your 50% bonus counts)
2. incredible promos (as compared to HH where they've been in a promo desert for the last year +)
3. I get the distinct sense that most of the properties really care about your business - most of the chain is 'hungry' and they work for it a bit.

IHG bad:
1. no equivalent to Diamond Force on award stays
2. upgrade success varies radically and from what I can tell it seems to depend on property whim. I can say that I've gotten some great upgrades at HI Express and the rate is probably 2/3. At the other properties - paritcularly regular HIs the upgrade rate is pretty poor. (I think its because they are typically older and have very few 'special' rooms.)
3. There are a lot of really run down properties - particularly regular HIs.
4. Inconsistent 'extras' - about 1/2 include various extras like a special snack or a 'choose a freebie'.
Agreed. A few additions:

IHG Bad (or HH better)
- Only 2K pts can be earned at IC, whereas points are based upon $-spend at all Hiltons
- Little bonuses at HH like Amex and Rental car
- Can earn points at HH on award stays
- Double dipping
- Agree with the rundown HI props
- Lounge access guaranteed at HH

IHG Good
- Pointbreaks, better reward levels than HH IMHO (eg all HI's are lower than many Hampton Inn's).
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta DM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tiki
ROTFLMAO!

Yup got a bottle of water too!
At least you got something - half the time I get nothing at all.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by mnredfox
<snipet>
IHG Good
- Pointbreaks, better reward levels than HH IMHO (eg all HI's are lower than many Hampton Inn's).
I used to stay at the HH properites, and moved to HI at the beginning of this year. Made Plat by April, and don't regret the change a bit.

Some of the HI and HIX properties need work, but they will do the renovations, or lose the franchise. This should increase the quality and consistency of the HI properities in the next couple of years.

To me, it was a huge point that mnredfox made about the award levels. Earning 15 points per dollar as a Plat, you can build free nights quickly when you figure that some good quality HI properties can be had for 10K or 15K a night. HH cannot touch that.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Agreed. A few additions:

IHG Bad (or HH better)

- Can earn points at HH on award stays
I'm confused on this one. I've earned points on rewards stays as recently as last month. (pts for room service at the HI Manhattan while taking advantage of that incredible 15K /night redemption they have.)
Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pmaddock
I'm confused on this one. I've earned points on rewards stays as recently as last month. (pts for room service at the HI Manhattan while taking advantage of that incredible 15K /night redemption they have.)
Point I was making was that with HH you can earn points without spending money. Things like the HH Amex 500 points, 500 points (or 250 sometimes) for National Car rental, plus the 1000 points for MyWay. That's 2K points without a cent paid.

For PC properties, I don't think they have that unless you have a special promo like bonus points for next stay.

To me the reward levels for PC are a lot better, I'd gladly stay at a smaller not so nice HI for 10K points than finding the crappy HH Hampton's for 15K points. Plus, Pointbreaks have been nearly impossible with HH. Don't get me wrong, I still love HH, I just wish redemption was as good as PC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.