Last edit by: FLYGVA
Crowne Plaza Newark Airport

Address
Crowne Plaza Newark Airport
901 Spring Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07201, USA

Phone: +1 908 527-1600

Link to hotel
www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/elizabeth/ewrsp/hoteldetail

The hotel operated previous to becoming a Crowne Plaza in October 2008 as Flyertalk Forum: Four Points by Sheraton Newark Airport
Print Wikipost

Crowne Plaza Newark [EWR] (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 8:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Is this property worth the advance purchase non-refundable rate of US$67.15 plus taxes to stay for a Friday night?

I have no status with Priority Club.

I am thinking of taking the AirTrain to the train into Manhattan on the following Saturday morning.
I stayed here a few weeks ago on CO because of a bump. The room was really nice as was the lobby. I'd say it is well worth $67.

And since you aren't a PC regular, your $67 night can also earn you about 10k points just by signing up for the current bonuses listed in the first page of the bonus thread (I think 6199, 6200, 6201, and maybe a few others).
Old Apr 12, 2010, 4:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
CP Newark Airport EWR mystery stain

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza EWR Newark Airport the other week because I got stuck in New York following a misconnection, arriving very late at night and paying $103 all in as a walk up rate.

Had a strange feeling of deja vu when the shuttle bus creaked its way up to the entrance, then I remembered: this used to be a very grim (but also very cheap) Four Points.

Little has improved: the place has been partially refurbished to cover up the worst of the decor, the restaurant still has a tolerable $14 buffet breakfast that is worth about half as much, there is still food left uncollected outside rooms for more than 12 hours and there are still fast food leaflets slipped under the doors of the rooms (which makes one wonder about security).

As a Platinum I got...the points. Late checkout denied, no other amenity here. I think there was meant to be free internet but it wasn't working.

Shuttle was pretty reliable, which I suppose is the only thing that really matters.

The 'highlight' was entering the room: the very first thing I saw was this giant, revolting stain:

I wonder what happened here. Did someone die? It looks too big to be anything sexual. Perhaps someone slipped on a pizza menu and cracked their head? Either way, what sort of hotel judges an item of furniture looking like this good enough to remain in a room?

The clue to your answer is in the state of the lobby ceiling:

Old Sep 4, 2010, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'm boosting this thread simply to thank the OP and Flyertalk for saving me from this dump. That bed really looks disgusting!

I checked with Tripdvisor: flight-crew staying at this jewel-in-the-crown CP complain of bedbugs.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Ha! You had a near miss.

Actually the bed itself (not the stool in the picture) was okay and the shuttle bus was reliable enough so I would stay here again if the room rate was competitive enough (say, $70) but otherwise this is a dumpy and unpleasant hotel. Not at all what I would expect from a CP.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
My gosh... that looks absolutely awful. I never understand how a property, of any chain could allow a piece of furniture to remain in a room looking like that... Absolute disgrace.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 8:18 pm

Thumbs up Crowne Plaza Newark

So, I am so positively surprised with this hotel, I have to write a few things.

Frist the area is shady few blocks from the hotel, but they have the secured parking area and the hotel is divided from it by a big fence. Definately you feel much more safe.

Parking is free for Plat.
Internet is free.

They welcomed me with a few sweet snacks and water + nice welcome card.
Hotel went through extensive renovation and looks better than most of the CPs in US.

They run 24h free airport shuttle.

Checkin was quick and very pleseant. Staff definately cares a lot.

What a changeover from what this hotel was last year.

I paid less than a half of what I would have to pay for Marriott on the EWR.

way to go for overnight stays in the area for morning fly out of EWR.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Pretty sure there's an ongoing thread about this property. As for the "seediness" of the neighbourhood, cross the main street and walk through the residential area and you'll find very pleasant working class streets leading to downtown Elizabeth. It appears to be ethnically Portuguese with a very nice BBQ spot offering chicken and ribs...a huge portion of each with fries for about $10! Great takeaway since the hotel's food offering leaves much to be desired.

I've stayed there a few times when I've had overnight connections at EWR. The last time was during Sandy and I was stranded (with a hundred or so others) for four nights/days. They took very good care of us considering the power was off and staff had their own issues to deal with at home.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
A miraculous transformation?

If you are referring to the CP EWR on Spring Street in Elizabeth, this sounds about 180 degrees from my last stay. Glad to hear it is improving.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
how long does the shuttle take to get to this property from ewr????
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: PC Plat, HH Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
how long does the shuttle take to get to this property from ewr????
5-10 minutes
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kaell
5-10 minutes
sounds good....thanks....
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 9/1 - 9/2

Location: The hotel is located just south of the EWR perimeter in a sketchy, industrial part of Elizabeth. Nearby are several strip clubs and rowdy bars as well as a few fast food places but I wouldn't suggest walking to any of these after dark. EWR itself is about 2.5 miles away and Newark Penn Station is 4 miles and a $9 Uber ride.

Hotel: As with many other CPs, it's an older property but it's mainly in good repair. The lobby has a sports bar that serves dinner until 10 PM and there is room service. There's also a really appreciated 24 hour coffee shop that has sandwiches and wraps. The shuttle runs every 20 minutes which is also nice. Parking is fairly limited though.

Check In: Handled well by an agent who thanked me for being IHG Platinum and asked if we'd need a late check out. We were also offered a choice of welcome amenity points or a drink.

Room: Pretty small. There's barely room to maneuver around the king sized bed and the armchair and desk are tough to use. The bathroom was also small but with a good shower.

My rate was $139 which was pretty decent, especially during Accelerate. I'd have no issues coming back.
KRS and kaffir76 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Awful hotel, ok rooms.

As stated by others, like a lot of CP this one is fairly old. While hotel doesn't look bad, its vary obviously an old hotel with replaced carpets/etc... It doesn't look like a renovated hotel, just an old one where they finally had to replace the carpet/wallpaper/etc by IHG order.

The staff are absolutely awful. I know some will say it's NY/NJ. NY/NJ "attitude" is usually just more of a hurry it up and get done type thing. These guys are just down right rude. They have no problem telling a guest oh well, even when they acknowledge the guest is right/should get what they ask.

As far as food, I understand due to restrictions cant eat in restaurants. However this hotel has stopped room service also. They still publish rates including breakfast. However when you inquire is when they inform you that they are not offering anything! (Even room service which is perfectly allowed). Basically there is NO food and NO drinks (all vending machines on floors are empty and gift shop closed) If you dont have a rental car, you will be required to take taxi/uber or get delivery. On top of this there is no microwaves in the rooms. They have one in the lobby that can be used, but that's it. The pictures of them in rooms are of another CP managed by them.

As far as rooms, they're ok. The bathroom had a counter that allowed you to tell the floor is sinking, the bed was comfortable, pillows a mixed bunch, a wall thermostat that controls nothing (you have to control via the actual AC) and outlets that only half work. Otherwise it's the same old, but obviously updated only by IHG directive look.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 12:10 am

Recent Stay?

Any recent experience? We’ve got a room booked in advance of international flight in a few weeks but considering maybe just staying at home and getting a ride in rather than stay here.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 1:13 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Any recent experience? We’ve got a room booked in advance of international flight in a few weeks but considering maybe just staying at home and getting a ride in rather than stay here.
I stayed here a year ago and thought it was better than before (somewhat renovated), though still mediocre only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.