Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Why do Priority Club Platinum members NOT get upgrades unless they ask at check in ?

Why do Priority Club Platinum members NOT get upgrades unless they ask at check in ?

Old May 28, 08, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bon Titanium, Accor Platinum (former IHG Plat Ambass - quit after 13 years)
Question Why do Priority Club Platinum members NOT get upgrades unless they ask at check in ?

I have been a PC Platinum member for over half a year now but have found that the ICH hotels (whether Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza or Holiday Inn) do NOT upgrade your room before arrival or even at the check in desk UNLESS you specifically ask for this. I 've even tried asking for the upgrade beforehand when making the online booking in the "special customer requests" field but this does not work either....

Most of the time what happens to me when I arrive at the check in desk is that they already have my electronic room keys ready and programmed. Thereupon I ask what kind of room I have been allocated and 95% of the time it is the one I have booked. Then I point out my platinum status and the receptionist usually has to go ask their manager for approval or snaps back at me with something like "This is only if available !" or in some cases say "Oh...yes, I can change it for you...." and then have to allocate me a completely new room and programm new keys.

Is it normal as a Plat member to have to ask for the upgrade EVERY time at check in even if its a holiday inn or crowne plaza? If I wasn't paying attention each time I checked into another hotel I would hardly ever get this benefit.
Old May 28, 08, 11:44 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
During the last year I was always upgraded at Holiday Inns in advance, didn't need to ask anything.
Old May 28, 08, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, IC Plat RA, Hertz 5*
In my experience I think this is pretty standard. I think the PC Platinum policy is that upgrades are available at check-in if available. The only guaranteed upgrades are for Amb/RA members at IC hotels as far as i know. Even as an RA I've been denied upgrades at HI and CP due to no availabilty at check in (heck, even at a IC hotel last weekend)
Old May 28, 08, 12:13 pm

Programs: LH M&M SEN *G, Priority Club Plat. RA
Hello

Well, yes, upgrade for platinum members is on availability basis at check in only (as found in the T&C). While listening to a conversation between two receptionists, it seems that they also prefer to give upgrades only to best flexible rates, rather than to 241 or advance purchase rates. Don't expect upgrades at IC with plat only. Pay 150$ for Ambassador status and get a guaranteed upgrade at IC's. I guess your way of handling the situation is good. Asking would room one got allocated and then ask for another one pointing out the status.

Cheers
aquaguy
Old May 28, 08, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bon Titanium, Accor Platinum (former IHG Plat Ambass - quit after 13 years)
Originally Posted by aquaguy View Post

While listening to a conversation between two receptionists, it seems that they also prefer to give upgrades only to best flexible rates, rather than to 241 or advance purchase rates. Don't expect upgrades at IC with plat only. Pay 150$ for Ambassador status and get a guaranteed upgrade at IC's.

aquaguy

I DID get upgrades as a Platinum member at 2 Intercontinentals on the Exclusive 25% off rate and once at a holiday inn on the 2for1 rate but ONLY after asking at check-in.
Old May 28, 08, 12:37 pm

About 30% of the time I am upgraded without asking and this is not updated in my online reservation. Only once have I noticed an update to my reservation and this was a CP stay. I've learnt to always ask for upgrades at the check-in desk. I've noticed going specifically to the PC desk helps.
Old May 28, 08, 12:40 pm

Programs: LH M&M SEN *G, Priority Club Plat. RA
Originally Posted by est-gratuite View Post
I DID get upgrades as a Platinum member at 2 Intercontinentals on the Exclusive 25% off rate and once at a holiday inn on the 2for1 rate but ONLY after asking at check-in.
Hello

Good for you. It shows that it never hurts to ask. Upgrade for Plat is still on availability basis at check in according to the T&C.

Cheers
aquaguy
Old May 28, 08, 12:52 pm

Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
I always have been upgraded at IC, CP and HI without asking for it
Old May 28, 08, 12:53 pm

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
I got upgrades very very often, and I never requested such a benefit.
Old May 28, 08, 12:58 pm

Programs: Priority Club Spire Elite.,Hilton,Rapid Rewards,AA
I'm having about 30% upgrade luck. I usually don't ask for them though, hence the low rate of upgrades.
Old May 28, 08, 1:29 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
I rarely finding myself asking for a Plat upgrade, as the front desk clerk checking me in often beats me to the punch by informing me first that I'm being given an upgrade (Though to be honest, it's sometimes difficult to confirm if the room received really is an upgrade).
Old May 28, 08, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire/Amb, SPG Gld, HH Gld
I find it quite variable. At HI/HIX in Europe, I am usually UGed to an exec room without asking^, but when I have not be UGed automatically, and I have asked, the response has generally been shock that I should think I was entitled to a room that I hadn't paid for

In CPs I am usually UGed to club floor. Sometimes I have to ask. Often if they can't give me club level they give me a drink cert or free breakfast.

Many NA HIs don't have exec rooms. If they do, I find that generally they do not auto UG, but will at checkin when asked.

I have taken to asking for a UG in the <comments> field on the booking eg - "As Priority Club Platinum, I respectfully request upgrade to club floor room". I find that this is generally effective.
Old May 28, 08, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
I always ask politely for the availibility of upgrade before they assign me the room number and key card during check in. Sometimes the front desk employee are so lazy that they just don't even bother to take a look at your status, they just give whatever you book. I guess you have to remind them politely. It doesn't hurt to ask. I can say 90% of time I got one room category upgraded, even including HI and HIX.
Old May 29, 08, 12:10 am
uk1
Suspended

I must admit, reading this thread has made me feel somewhat sorry for HI customers who do not lurk around here and so work harder for their points and who also purchase Gold membership. They must find the routine lack of recognition annoying.
Old May 29, 08, 1:40 am

Programs: NZ *E, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Amex Platinum, Accor Advantage Plus
I've never asked and most times I've been upgraded. I've even been upgraded a couple of times when I've redeemed points for the stay.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: