CP Singapore Changi Airport Master Thread [merged]

Old May 21, 2008, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold
CP Singapore Changi Airport Master Thread [merged]

Just drove by the almost complete Crowne Plaza Changi hotel yesterday. Hideous mottled brown structure. All I could think of is... what were they thinking??? Especially positioned right next to the gleaming new T3. A complete eyesore, a throwback to the ugly experimental building facades of the 60s and 70s. Ugh!

How could such a design have been approved? Surely somebody must have noticed it is ugly???
Old May 21, 2008, 5:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Moving to priority club forum where it is more on topic.

Kiwi Flyer
SQ moderator
Old May 21, 2008, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone take a pic of it? From the pics I've seen it actually looked quite nice...
Old May 22, 2008, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Anyone take a pic of it? From the pics I've seen it actually looked quite nice...
Check out the discussion on SQTalk ( http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4392 )... pretty much a consensus forming there that the building is b*tt ugly!
Old May 22, 2008, 3:13 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Check out the IHG or priority club website. Interesting is a word that comes to mind

Last edited by turtlemichael; May 22, 2008 at 3:30 am
Old May 22, 2008, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Plat, Marriott Ambassador (LP), Hilton Diamond
I personally think that the hotel looks nice and very modern.
Old May 22, 2008, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
Check out the IHG or priority club website. Interesting is a word that comes to mind
Picture on the PC website looks animated, and seems really hard to imagine. I'd love to see a real pic, if anyone has one.
Old May 22, 2008, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
We have a room booked at this hotel, June 8 till 9th, overnight. Will report on our return.
Old May 22, 2008, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Picture on the PC website looks animated, and seems really hard to imagine. I'd love to see a real pic, if anyone has one.
Click here for a photo taken on May 21: http://picasaweb.google.com/Sankaps86/CrownePlazaChangi

The other side of the building, with white lattice work on the facade, is even uglier!
Old May 22, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: Priority Club Spire Elite.,Hilton,Rapid Rewards,AA
It reminds me of the faux wood panelling in my Dad's living room....
Old May 22, 2008, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Didn't look too bad I thought. Better than most Crowne Plazas anyway !
Old May 22, 2008, 6:07 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I think it looks great. Now, if it wouldn't be so inconvenient from a sightseeing point-of-view I'd stay in it the next time I'm in Singapore.

HTB.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
CP Changi Airport is already meeting its occupancy target (source: Today)

The Crowne Plaza Changi Airport has been open for just two weeks, and not all its 320 rooms are ready, but the hotel is already meeting its occupancy target of 75 per cent for the full year.

Room rates start from about US$200 ($275) just below prices at the premium Orchard Road belt.

(...)

The hotel is primarily targeted at business travellers and those coming for meetings and conventions.

It is also getting transit passengers, air crew and those doing business nearby such as corporate companies in Changi Business Park, said Mr Winterton.

The hotel is also working with the local authorities to offer a direct check-in system which is likely to be available within the next few months.

(...)

And while there were some delays the hotels soft opening had to be pushed from March to May Mr Winterton said it is par for the course.

The hotel is expected to officially open in September
Old Jun 18, 2008, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Sankaps
Check out the discussion on SQTalk ( http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4392 )... pretty much a consensus forming there that the building is b*tt ugly!
I'm pleased to say my opinions are not led by consensus reached in a Singapore chat room . The building looks just fine to me - it's a hotel. At an airport.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
I've provided a short review here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=12

The facade is terrible for plane spotting. I can also imagine how much birds will care to nest in it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.