Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on the new "hot breakfast" at HI Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Comments on the new "hot breakfast" at HI Express

I assume that it is an effort to stay with the competition. I stayed at the HI Ex in Plantation (FLL) FL, last week on business. At $171.00/night it is overpriced. However the "new" hot breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. A cheese omlete that seemed to have frozen and microwaved, I'll stick to the cereals. Mabe the "free" breakfast has raised the prices?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL PLT, 1MM,PC Plat,HH Diamond,SkyClub, member All programs
Don't forget the microwaved bacon too!
At least they're trying.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by jimc_usa
Mabe the "free" breakfast has raised the prices?
No, I think it may have something to do with this being the high season for Florida hotels considering it has been Canadian university break through much of February and it will be US university break through March. In any case, no matter where you go in Florida in the winter, you're going to pay a lot more than in the summer.

As for the quality of the breakfast, considering HIXs do not have full catering kitchens their offerings are going to be somewhat proscribed in this fashion and the eggs prepared off site for warming prior to being placed out for guests. You don't think there's been a bakery in each HIX that makes those cinnamon buns do you? If you do, then have I some Florida real estate you might be interested in!

In any case, the quality of the omelets and bacon are about on par with what we used to get in coach on morning flights when they actually gave us breakfast. I suspect you complained in just this same way about the quality of that omelet, but now complain equally about not being served food inflight! Both kitchens, inflight and HIX, are limited to reheating not food preparation. To install a full kitchen -- to use for four hours a day -- and hire a cook/chef would most certainly add to the room rate.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
No, I think it may have something to do with this being the high season for Florida hotels considering it has been Canadian university break through much of February and it will be US university break through March. In any case, no matter where you go in Florida in the winter, you're going to pay a lot more than in the summer.

As for the quality of the breakfast, considering HIXs do not have full catering kitchens their offerings are going to be somewhat proscribed in this fashion and the eggs prepared off site for warming prior to being placed out for guests. You don't think there's been a bakery in each HIX that makes those cinnamon buns do you? If you do, then have I some Florida real estate you might be interested in!

In any case, the quality of the omelets and bacon are about on par with what we used to get in coach on morning flights when they actually gave us breakfast. I suspect you complained in just this same way about the quality of that omelet, but now complain equally about not being served food inflight! Both kitchens, inflight and HIX, are limited to reheating not food preparation. To install a full kitchen -- to use for four hours a day -- and hire a cook/chef would most certainly add to the room rate.
Indeed, but the thing is, they used to have the perfect solution (food which is easy to prepare onsite from fresh eggs with no special equipemnt): hard-boiled eggs. So are these gone now that they have these omelets? If so, that would be a step down IMHO! (I've always much prefered the real hard-boiled eggs at HIX to the mystery eggy substance patties at Hampton, since Hampton went with "hot" breakfasts some years ago. My problem with HIX compared to Hampton was not the lack of "hot" food, it was the limited buffet choices -- usually no futi salad, often no whole wheat bread for toast, too often no yogurt, too often one only one type of milk -- but the hard-boiled eggs were the one saving grace at HIX.)
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Mmmmm Bacon.....^
Old Mar 1, 2008, 1:40 pm

Yes I don't like those either. I stayed at a HI express every day in Feb and hated the breakfast.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Indeed, but the thing is, they used to have the perfect solution (food which is easy to prepare onsite from fresh eggs with no special equipemnt): hard-boiled eggs. So are these gone now that they have these omelets? If so, that would be a step down IMHO! (I've always much prefered the real hard-boiled eggs at HIX to the mystery eggy substance patties at Hampton, since Hampton went with "hot" breakfasts some years ago. My problem with HIX compared to Hampton was not the lack of "hot" food, it was the limited buffet choices -- usually no futi salad, often no whole wheat bread for toast, too often no yogurt, too often one only one type of milk -- but the hard-boiled eggs were the one saving grace at HIX.)
My one stay at an HIE this year also had the hard boiled eggs (except I forgot to look for them and they were kind of hidden in the fridge)
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
The cheese omlete is not something new and has been seen for a while (at least a year) in some HIXs I stayed previously. I personally dislike it and think that it is disgusting. I cannot bear with the artificial egg and cheese and don't know if this kind of junk food would damage your health. I rather go to a nearby Denny restaurant for a real omelet with real egg and cheese.

I also hate the cold boiled egg. They shouldn't have taken off the shell since I think it is not very hygienic.

By the way, in your case, the room rate was raised due to high season down there in FL during winter time. If you go there during summer (low season), it might cost less than $100. Timing is also important, if you booked it too late and too close to your arrival date, the room rate would go up quite a lot!

Last edited by GordonGordon; Mar 2, 2008 at 10:03 pm
Old Mar 3, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: KLM and AA
As far as the hard boiled egg. No hotel ever boiled one nor peeled one. They are purchased from a mandated vendor and they come 12 to a sealed bag already peeled.
The new food that is still rolling out is frozen but is warmed up in a small counter top oven. Also, all from a mandated vendor. So like the cinnamon roll, it is the same at all hotels.
The hard boiled eggs should still be there. In addition there should be a minimum of one other egg product (scrambled or omelette) and one meat product (sausage or bacon or a small ham slice). There should also be sausage gravy however I think they are also allowing cream chipped beef as an alternative.
This is off to a slow start because these hotels were built to accommodate a basic continental breakfast. the introduction of hot items opened few problems with local health departments resulting in some changes in equipment like 3 bay stainless steel sinks (in some areas).
Old Mar 3, 2008, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Interesting about the hard boiled egg but that explains the industrial taste that is usually present ... still works for me though.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, Choice Diamond, Priority Club Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by HCruiseMike
The hard boiled eggs should still be there. In addition there should be a minimum of one other egg product (scrambled or omelette) and one meat product (sausage or bacon or a small ham slice). There should also be sausage gravy however I think they are also allowing cream chipped beef as an alternative.
I have only started to stay at HIX, so I am curious. At the first one I stayed at, they had the omelette, sausage, and the biscuits and gravy. However, the next 2 only had the omelette and the sausage or bacon. Is the biscuits and gravy supposed to be a standard item, or is it one of those items they can dispense with? They did not have an alternative, such as the chipped beef.

The website mentions the omelette, meat, and biscuits and gravy, however, it says the "options" are.... So I don't know if that means the hotel has the option of putting out those items, or if it means the guest has the option to pick from those items.

For a lover of biscuits and gravy, this has seriously downgraded the enjoyment of breakfast.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: KLM and AA
They only need to put out 1 meat product but are encouraged to rotate a different item each day. The gravy is part of the standard breakfast now, however some hotels are required to get food service or restaurant licenses. This can vary from state to state and even county.
Express brands were not built with these requirements in that little kitchen/pantry area so the new breakfast concept is starting slower in some areas while the reconfiguration or waivers are being done.
A local health department will trump a brand standard.
Or, then again - they may have just been out of the gravy.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
The Holiday Inn Express in Asia Pacific is equiped with full kitchen. The guest will have a choice of Oriental Breakfast and Western (kinda of between Europe and America) breafast choice from a simple menu no more than two choice. It will be hot and served. You use one breakfast voucher to order from a piece of menu which only have 2-3 choice or set breakfast. I think it is a good idea. I never complain to stay in one HIX in Hong Kong/China. But I keep my word for my stay in Orlando,FL.No comparision between East Asia and Western world in hotel service and amenities.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:15 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FLOIR
For a lover of biscuits and gravy, this has seriously downgraded the enjoyment of breakfast.
I am a lover of biscuits and gravy and agree the gravy is easily forgettable but the biscuit and the sausage patty (for what they are, pre-cooked, reheated) are quite ok with me.^

Forget the eggs

Cinnamon rolls, muffins, bagels and the bacon, ehh

Thankfully there was always a banana and juice, along with a biscuit and I'm happy to have this free offering.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, IHG SA, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
The cheese omlete is not something new and has been seen for a while (at least a year) in some HIXs I stayed previously.
The omelets have been at MHT HIX at least since 2005.

The HIX in Central El Paso rotates between the omelets and scrambled eggs, along with the gravy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.