Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:15 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by demue
RAs will get Club access as benefit. In the past, before IHG changed the Ambassador T&Cs excluding Club benefits as part of a room upgrade, you could book an Executive room rate and get Club room as AMB upgrade (same room anyways usually just on a higher floor) with Club access. Of course, long time no more.

​​​​
Oh I was not aware, RAs get Club access - that is more competitive than I thought and would help improve the value proposition of IC BKK for those folks. Thank you for clarifying - I guess it highlights my lack of knowledge with the IHG loyalty program since I only recently started to expand to that turf.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by escape4
... however at IC Bangkok did not have Harnn in the room: it was a made in China brand I had never seen before
That (Agraria) is the standard brand I see in most normal city ICs.
not2017 and escape4 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:39 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
While generally IC is a dependable brand in Asia, there can be some sub-standard properties. Thanks for the review. Bangkok is not a place to try using Ambassador 2 for 1. Rates for most properties, in Bangkok, are so reasonable, better to just to book the going rates. The IC DaNang, the Hong Kong IC (used to be two, but one is being converted to a Regent) and all the ICs in Japan are quite nice. I suggest you try one of these before trying in the towel.
escape4 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:42 pm

Does anyone know why no rooms are available after 01/02/2022? Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 5:28 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Does anyone know why no rooms are available after 01/02/2022? Thanks.
This is a pity. I also realized this 10 days ago and first thought that it is a glitch of the IHG site. Maybe they will close for renovations?
Old Aug 22, 2021, 7:13 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
It could use a renovation.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 7:21 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Please become a Regent, please become a Regent, please become a Regent

khabah
Old Aug 22, 2021, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by khabah
Please become a Regent, please become a Regent, please become a Regent

khabah
Just curious, why is that a good thing?
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Just curious, why is that a good thing?
Regent is an iconic brand with a respected legacy of luxury, and it deserves a proper comeback after dawdling for so long. IHG has been hard at work to give the brand the proper tools it needs to compete nowadays - i.e. design elements that draw from the local destinations, a rich use of materials and color, utilizing bold patterns in public places and tailoring services to each individual guest - and with Bangkok once being host to two different Regents at different times, it would be great to see the brand return to such a vibrant and great city. IC Bangkok is in a fabulous location and has solid bones, so with a proper and sensible renovation, it could play host to a very good Regent and challenge some of the best players in the city.

khabah
NoY, asdfghjk, escape4 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 8:19 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by khabah
Regent is an iconic brand with a respected legacy of luxury, and it deserves a proper comeback after dawdling for so long. IHG has been hard at work to give the brand the proper tools it needs to compete nowadays - i.e. design elements that draw from the local destinations, a rich use of materials and color, utilizing bold patterns in public places and tailoring services to each individual guest - and with Bangkok once being host to two different Regents at different times, it would be great to see the brand return to such a vibrant and great city. IC Bangkok is in a fabulous location and has solid bones, so with a proper and sensible renovation, it could play host to a very good Regent and challenge some of the best players in the city.

khabah
Agree with your comments on the Regent brand and its very strong positioning in China. I also agree that the IC Bangkok location is very convenient.

However, would IHG really reflag an Intercontinental into a Regent? It was my understanding that most Regents are new developments. Please correct me if I’m wrong but the only exception I’m aware of is the Regent Shanghai which was formerly the Pudong Four Seasons. The reason I’m asking is because I thought IHG didn’t own the Regent brand outright while they do own Intercontinental outright. Would there be a an issue there with possibly a weaker fee structure?

Would love for this property to get renovated to Regent level btw. Mostly just asking this out of curiosity.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Agree with your comments on the Regent brand and its very strong positioning in China. I also agree that the IC Bangkok location is very convenient.

However, would IHG really reflag an Intercontinental into a Regent? It was my understanding that most Regents are new developments. Please correct me if I’m wrong but the only exception I’m aware of is the Regent Shanghai which was formerly the Pudong Four Seasons. The reason I’m asking is because I thought IHG didn’t own the Regent brand outright while they do own Intercontinental outright. Would there be a an issue there with possibly a weaker fee structure?

Would love for this property to get renovated to Regent level btw. Mostly just asking this out of curiosity.
You've come to the right place with your questions - or so I hope!

IHG owns 51 percent of Regent with the July 2018 acquisition of the brand, and they have the right to acquire the remaining 49 percent from 2026. They've explicitly said that Regent's growth will be very calculated and deliberate so as to maintain the brand's exclusivity, but they also haven't ruled out converting the right InterContinentals into Regents if the hotel can be properly upgraded to reflect Regent's brand standards, and if the destination is right for the brand. An IHG exec once said there was a small number of InterContinentals - 3-8, if memory serves - that could be considered for a Regent rebrand; perhaps Bangkok is on that list of possibilities?

The right conversion projects are also important, with the key case in point being IHG's conversion of Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai at Pudong into Regent Shanghai Pudong: that was a beautiful, relatively new hotel with a solid reputation in a major target city, and with Regent taking on Four Seasons in the upper luxury space, that hotel made a good case to become a Regent. Don't forget the forthcoming Regent Hong Kong, which will be a conversion of the current InterContinental [which itself opened as a Regent].

Hope this helps!

khabah
WasKnown likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: Spire Ambassdor
I agree Intercontinental Bangkok re brand to Regent Bangkok

because IHG have many Pipe line Intercontinental In Bangkok about 2 - 3 Hotels - -.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:25 am

I have stayed in 50+ different hotels in Bangkok and for guests who have elite status with many hotel chains in my humble (subjective) opinion I currently rank IC dead last in terms of value for the money. Renovations and possible rebranding can only lead to improvement so this is potentially promising. Like others said, the strength of the hotel is location and that will never change, they have something to work with to make it a great hotel.
3rdworldresident and WasKnown like this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:55 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
I have stayed in 50+ different hotels in Bangkok and for guests who have elite status with many hotel chains in my humble (subjective) opinion I currently rank IC dead last in terms of value for the money. Renovations and possible rebranding can only lead to improvement so this is potentially promising. Like others said, the strength of the hotel is location and that will never change, they have something to work with to make it a great hotel.
What is #1?

Is this location considered the best for tourism? I feel like Thonglor has better restaurants and nightlife. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Paste in ratchaprasong? Really loved Bo.lan and Canvas (which are technically in Thonglor, right?). I loved the area though. Just getting cabs was a nightmare.

Based on what everyone said, especially Khabah, a Regent conversion here sounds like it could be cool. I haven’t been to the FS Shanghai Pudong since the reflag but I know people in China generally have a high opinion of the brand
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown
What is #1?

Is this location considered the best for tourism? I feel like Thonglor has better restaurants and nightlife.
For tourism, a river side location might be preferable for a first timer, but IC's location is the best for general purposes tourism/business since it's so central. I like the Thonglor neighborhood as well but I often find myself having to go to city center for various things.

It's more difficult to name the hotel with best value rather than worst value, depends whether it's for the luxury segment or low-end 5 stars. At the top end my favorite is Waldorf Astoria, 100% suite upgrade success over there and the best breakfast buffet in the city, honorable mention to Capella and Kimpton. Once the Kimpton lounge opens let's see if they decide that Spire Ambassador guests will get free access or not, that could make it even better value. And once covid lockdowns are over, I suspect room rates at Capella will go through the roof, they might become best hotel in the city but not best value.

Generally speaking, hotels in a lower price range than those listed above which have lounges, unlimited drinks for happy hour and "free" dinner are arguably best value in the city, such as Marriott Surawongse which is very solid at reasonable price including upgrades to 2-bedroom suites. Great lounge and breakfast too.
WasKnown likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.