Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

[Rate Gone] Wellington (NZ) IC showing @ 5000 pts per night redemption!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite + a bunch of nothings thanks to covid

I am currently looking at booking some leisure travel in May. When I checked the availability of rooms at the IC Wellington it showed up with a 5000 point redemption rate per night. I tried some other dates to see if they would work & April, June, July, August & September all showed the 5k rate.

I am not sure of my dates yet so haven't actually booked anything at this stage, but this deal could be of use to some of my fellow flyertalkers...

Pretty good deal as even if you don't have any points you could purchase 5k for just US$62.50/approx NZ$90) - pretty cheap for a night at an IC!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by nzchick
I am currently looking at booking some leisure travel in May. When I checked the availability of rooms at the IC Wellington it showed up with a 5000 point redemption rate per night. I tried some other dates to see if they would work & April, June, July, August & September all showed the 5k rate.

I am not sure of my dates yet so haven't actually booked anything at this stage, but this deal could be of use to some of my fellow flyertalkers...

Pretty good deal as even if you don't have any points you could purchase 5k for just US$62.50/approx NZ$90) - pretty cheap for a night at an IC!
Perhaps they're demoloshing the old tower? Turning the pool into a pond? Locust season?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:33 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
All explained in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671443
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
And i thought they were a day ahead of the rest of us down there...seems they're a couple of days behind...
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will be staying here in June for two days, and as good of a deal as it is at 5K points, I will go ahead and buy a nice club with a BOGO cert, which is an awesome deal!^
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:50 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Shareholder
And i thought they were a day ahead of the rest of us down there...seems they're a couple of days behind...
^
Old Mar 18, 2007, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

A couple of days behind but twice as helpful!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I will be staying here in June for two days, and as good of a deal as it is at 5K points, I will go ahead and buy a nice club with a BOGO cert, which is an awesome deal!^
Yeah, I was actually looking for a $ BOGO booking, not a redemption which is why I hadn't read the thread that Savage25 refers to. I just happened to notice it was a great deal & might be useful to folk here. I may book Wellington at that 5k rate & use my BOGO in Sydney at Easter now.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Savage25
Come on some of us have work to do & can't spend all day on the internet looking at every thread on flyertalk!

I'm bad enough now to be honest - I'd probably get fired if I spent any more time looking at this site. My lunch break just isn't long enough... guess I'll have to move to the US where everyone obviously has plenty of time on their hands!
Old May 7, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
Has Anyone stayed at the IC Wellington for the 5,000 points?

I just booked a week for a total of 35,000 points at the IC Wellington over Christmas as part of the trip I'm taking in business class on UA with their "mistake" $1465 RT fare. I've been amazed the 5,000 point offer at IC Wellington has been available so long since I'd thought that must be a mistake too. Has anyone stayed there using this offer? Is there construction or something that is the reason for the cheap point price? Also I was wondering what the chances were they'd let you pay the difference in price and upgrade to a better room? Btw, I've got a "superior" one at the moment.
Old May 7, 2007, 2:46 pm

Programs: priority club
The CP in Antwerp also offers some nights at 5,000 points.
Old May 7, 2007, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by daveinsf
I just booked a week for a total of 35,000 points at the IC Wellington over Christmas as part of the trip I'm taking in business class on UA with their "mistake" $1465 RT fare. I've been amazed the 5,000 point offer at IC Wellington has been available so long since I'd thought that must be a mistake too. Has anyone stayed there using this offer? Is there construction or something that is the reason for the cheap point price? Also I was wondering what the chances were they'd let you pay the difference in price and upgrade to a better room? Btw, I've got a "superior" one at the moment.

Stayed there when it just opened in the 80s as the ParkRoyal, but you will find good reviews if you do a search. I was surprised it is still available through the end of this year and into 2008! Particularly because the HI down the street is going at the normal 15K rate!!!

BTW I also got the UA fare so our visits will overlap. I arrive on the 27th and will catch the early morning flight up to AKL on January 1st to head back to SYD and SFO. Haven't booked the hotel yet since I want to make sure UA honours the fare and everything is 100% firm at that end. I was also considering going down to Christchurch for a couple of days before doing Wellington, but my time is so short I might just stay in Wellington for the full period and do day wine tours up to Nelson and over to the South Island.
Old May 7, 2007, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by room rider
The CP in Antwerp also offers some nights at 5,000 points.
Not a bad property, though it is out by the highway and not central. (There is a city bus line that runs from the hotel into the main city square (by the Hilton) and beyond, so would be a good cheap base for a few inexpensive days in the diamond capital.
Old May 7, 2007, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HI in Wellington still goes for 15K per night while the IC is 5K. Quite absurd. Meanwhile, in Christchurch, the cheaper of the two HIs goes for 25K while the more expensive city centre one goes for 15K, and the CP which goes for 25K in PC points is generally cheaper for paid rates than the two HIs!
Old May 8, 2007, 9:14 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
BTW I also got the UA fare so our visits will overlap. I arrive on the 27th and will catch the early morning flight up to AKL on January 1st to head back to SYD and SFO. Haven't booked the hotel yet since I want to make sure UA honours the fare and everything is 100% firm at that end. I was also considering going down to Christchurch for a couple of days before doing Wellington, but my time is so short I might just stay in Wellington for the full period and do day wine tours up to Nelson and over to the South Island.
Grabbed a few of those UA fares myself, but wasn't thinking too hard when I did so, otherwise I would have flown either in to or out of Wellington (as opposed to AKL) to make use of the PointBreaks. Maybe later on when the dust settles, I might try to extend the return so as to give me time to visit the southern half of the N. Island and even the S. Island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.