Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

GONE: IC Al Ain Resort, United Arab Emirates (now Danat Resort Al Ain)

Old Aug 29, 2006, 7:01 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC

Has anyone stayed at the IC Al Ain Resort in UAE as a Royal Ambassador, that can comment on their upgrade, mini-bar, etc? I am considering staying here as a side trip from Dubai since the rates are very low and since their will be no IC in Dubai during my visit.

Also, can anyone provide details on the transportation options from this hotel to Dubai, including approximate prices? I can get a free airport transfer from the Dubai airport to the IC Al Ain through Emirates Airlines, but I will need to arrange some other option for getting from Al Ain to the Crowne Plaza in downtown Dubai.

Thank you for your help.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:04 am

Programs: EK Siver, Dusit Gold, Cycling Proficiency Test, Tufty Club Member and Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Al Ghazal Transport <[email protected]> will limo you back to Dubai for 275AED
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:44 pm

Programs: QF Gold MB Gold Elite
Having stayed at the IC Al Ain in January (not as a RA though) I can provide the following comments:

* Good service
* Good prices
* Rooms are slightly tired
* Good facilities and restaurants

We had a car there so can't comment getting around, though taxi's are cheap and plentiful.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:00 pm

Programs: FD silver, PC plat. royal ambassador, SPG gold, HH gold, MR silver
Any RA experiences at this hotel?
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:27 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Sorry, I can't provide the RA experience, either, but overall the hotel exceeded my expectations. I expected it to be dumpy; like you, I paid a very low rate (something like AED 400). The rooms were nice, with balcony, and typical mediocre IC bathroom.

I had a great dinner at the Italian restaurant. It is very modern, stylish, and with good food and outstanding service. Seems out of place there, but, if you like that sort of thing, then I would recommend it. It seems like it converts to a club later, although I did not partake of that.

I don't know how familiar you are with the area, but if you're looking for another side trip from Dubai, you might try the CP in Abu Dhabi. It's not quite as nice as the one in Dubai, but right in the center of town, and about the same distance (and taxi cost) from Dubai. It has pretty nice suites and a good executive lounge. (The IC in Abu Dhabi is scheduled to re-open in November, I think.)
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:15 am

Thanks for the info. The CP is not really convinient for me. We will be arriving in Dubai early morning and at the IC I will be able to check-in at 8 a.m. due to my RA status. It's our last stop of a 21 day trip and we just want a place to relax and as long as I have a suite with minibar ,I'll be fine.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:53 pm

Programs: EK Siver, Dusit Gold, Cycling Proficiency Test, Tufty Club Member and Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
We arrived at Al Ain off the 6.30am flight from BNE at about 8am ( once the Emirates driver found the Hotel !) and checked in no bother. Got a great upgrade to a deluxe suite on the 8th floor. Went for breakfast and then had a snooze and then had a swim in the pool and a sauna. Likewise the Italian is very nice. Took a taxi ride to the top of the mountain ( 3000ft up ) Had a smoke in the car park and then checked out the Al Ain mall. Saw a really bad car accident in Al Ain ( several dead ) Avoid any attempts to get you to go the Camel market cause it's a scam, don't say you weren't warned
Took a Taxi back to DXB cost 275AED at 100mph !! But it was a big Merc Estate so I felt quite safe. Had a problem getting my points but an email to PC got me 1000EK miles and 500 points for a one night stay that cost 300AED

BARGAIN
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:50 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
InterContinental Resort Al Ain

Has anyone stayed at the InterContinental Resort Al Ain? I cannot find any references to it on the Forum. I am thinking of staying for a few days in mid March to relax and recooperate after three weeks of travel. I would appreciate any feedback on service levels, how Ambassadors are treated (particularly if upgrades stop at a certain room level), and what there is to see and do. Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:23 pm

Programs: PC, Ambassador, Hyatt GP, SPGPlat, HH, LH Miles&More, Brussels Privilege, KLM FB, Finnair Plus
Unhappy Poor Amb treatment

I've stayed at the IC AA resort in UAE as an Amb. The hotel did not upgrade us at all, and gave a smoking room while we booked NS. While I demanded to see the manager about these issues, he claimed that the hotel was full and they can't do anything about the upgrade as there were no rooms available - and also the non smoking room was a no-no, but come odorize (spray) the room we were originally given.

Note: The hotel did NOT seem full at all and at least many of the villa suites in the garden area were definitely empty. I then went to pc.com and there were still availability for all kinds of rooms 4 that nite. :-/ I explained this to the manager later, but still he was unable to help (with a less-than-good english) and told that there are big tour groups at the hotel taking all the space!

While the hotel itself was quite nice, it was nowhere near as nice as the best ICs. Food was definitely good here, though. Amb welcome gift was fine fruits and 10 (!!) big bottles of sodas and mineral waters.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:28 pm

I stayed there last december for just 1 night. But will definitly go back there for a short break later this year. As a RA I checked in at 6 a.m. and was upgraded from the cheapest room to a fantastic suite with a full kitchen and an even better minibar. The service at this hotel is really excellent and I would really recommand the indian restaurant and the weekly see-food buffet. Didn't have time to try the italian restaurant but in other threads you will find recommandations for it.
The hotel is away from town so you will need to use taxis everytime. The cost are extremly low anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. There are some tourist attractions in the Al Ain area but I didn't have the time to try them.
The Al Ain Mall is just a short drive away, not as nice as for example the Mall of the Emirates, but still worth a visit.
If you are arriving at Dubai airport I would recommand booking hotel transport in advance. The charges are almost equal to the normal taxifares and the ride will be much more comfertable. Keep in mind that it's a 1 hour 20 min ride!

Sent me PM for pictures or e-mail adresses
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Bizzarely I was looking for information on the Al Ain just yesterday, and up pops this thread! I've stayed at the Jumeriah Beach Hotel a few times in previous years, but frankly I can't stomach the 300/night they want in May so for a 4/5 day break was thinking of 3 days in Al Ain recuperating and enjoying my free minibar, then having 1 or 2 nights up on Jumeirah Beach somewhere (the Hilton seems to have good rates).

As a villa is pricing out around 85/night including tax with an upgrade to a BIG suite with multiple balconies would be on the cards as an RA and it's dirt cheap. I'm pretty sure this is going to happen so i'll post back on this thread with more information after i've stayed.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:34 pm

Why would you book a villa? I got the suite upgrade when I booked the cheapest room? Paid 345 Dirham on a flex rate with breakfast
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:17 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Al Ain

I have always wondered why people are willing to pay the highest rates in Dubai when they can go to Al Ain. I have stayed there on a few occassions to avoid $500 hotel nights. I pretty much can consitently stay there for $100 and take a taxi there and back. Works out a lot better.

I find the IC to be (1) difficult to find (2) rooms are a bit dated and not furnished to my taste.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Thanks to everyone for the feedback and to paul_nl for posting a link to previous discussion. As a Platinum Ambassador, now not quite sure what upgrade experience to expect and therefore what room level to book.

For example, does anyone know if they are likely to only upgrade from TWIN BEDS DELUXE ROOM to 1 KING BED EXECUTIVE SUITE, or from 1 KING BED EXECUTIVE SUITE to 1 KING BED EXECUTIVE VILLA SMOKING - not sure if Ambassadors typically get upgrades to suites at all? I would much prefer a non smoking room, but it looks as if this may seriously limit any available room upgrade.

Thanks to ballogie for recommending to avoid camel market;-) Did the hotel help in terms of suggesting places to see and do, are there any organised tours, or is the only option to hire a car or taxi to bring you around?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by paul_nl
Why would you book a villa? I got the suite upgrade when I booked the cheapest room? Paid 345 Dirham on a flex rate with breakfast
Because the RA policy is a two-level upgrade.

I doubt you got the best suite in the place (although I could of course be wrong!), and the cost and size difference between a villa and the better suites versus a basic room and the basic suites is quite big.

I can afford basic suites, and I see RA as a means of allowing me to stay in rooms I could not afford (eg. the 1000 Euro/night Deluxe suite I was in in Athens having booked a 275 Euro club suite), versus a means to save money by booking cheapest rooms and getting upgraded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.