Gold Status - Does it help

Old Jul 19, 06, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Platinum, Omni Select
Gold Status - Does it help

I am looking for a second hotel program to use. Compared to Hilton and Marriot, the mid tier (Gold status) with PC only gets me a new reservations number and a bonus on points - no upgrades, etc.

Can anyone share an experience where Gold status with PC was beneficial vs. the other chains?

Thanks
Old Jul 19, 06, 4:22 pm

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
Given that you can BUY it for $50 - nope, it's pretty worthless to say the least

https://priorityclub.points.com/goldstatus/index.jsp
Old Jul 19, 06, 11:48 pm

the gold status do not come with much benefit, at least not published one.

sometime they upgrade gold members but not to club floor. i was upgarded to a suite in my stay but no club access.

cullen24, maybe you can consider the amabassador status. you pay USD150 which you will get a free weekend certicate and the priority club gold status.
Old Jul 20, 06, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Think of it as the equivalent of Hilton Silver rather than Hilton Gold. Priority Club seems not to have a mid-tier.
Old Jul 20, 06, 1:19 am
yep

Programs: PC Plat RA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Think of it as the equivalent of Hilton Silver rather than Hilton Gold. Priority Club seems not to have a mid-tier.
Priority Club seems not to have a high-tier , Hilton Gold is most times more valuable than PC Platimum. And Hilton Diamond is maybe comparable to PC Plat RA, but RA wont help in a CP, HI, HIX...

yep
Old Jul 21, 06, 12:23 pm

Programs: RA-Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, SPG Gold, CO Silver, DAL Silver, Avis P'sC, AAA-Plus
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I agree with this statement. The extra/bonus points are nice.
Old Jul 21, 06, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by yep
Priority Club seems not to have a high-tier , Hilton Gold is most times more valuable than PC Platimum. And Hilton Diamond is maybe comparable to PC Plat RA, but RA wont help in a CP, HI, HIX...
RA is higher than HH Diamond if you stay at the InterContinental hotels IMHO. On the other hand HH Diamond has some other benefits i.e. almost guaranteed award availability that RA doesn't give you.

The problem with the Priority Club is that the Gold or Platinum benefits are really property specific. You never know what you will get. There is simply no chain wide standard on this matter or the actual standard is extremely low if you go by the info on the website.
Old Jul 21, 06, 12:54 pm

i've been upgraded quite often with gold.
also got a desk clerk to move me to a non-smoking room when i'd booked a smoking room (no option for NS online). the hotel was supposedly full so I think my status helped or maybe it was just my charm
Old Jul 21, 06, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
So far Gold has got me zilch. I keep looking for the priority check-in line which there never seems to be.
Old Jul 21, 06, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I had one upgrade as a Gold the other year at CP Cambridge (they explicitly told me at check-in it was due to my card). Other than that, yeah, pretty worthless.
Old Jul 21, 06, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA
I agree "Gold" doesn't net you much depending on where you stay. I'm almost Platinum now but I really don't expect much to change in general.

I have been upgraded before as an IC Gold to a suite for no cost... but that was just once out of a half-dozen+ weeks of travel lately. Some Holiday Inns don't even have your keys ready when you check in and despite the promo material lying all over the desk, don't give you jack-squat relative to joe-average random guest.

Crowne Plazas seem to be pretty good about going the extra mile in my experience. CP Beverly Hills was excellent if you are ever in the area. A lot of posseurs and ego-maniacs stay there though in addition to the business travellers.
Old Jul 22, 06, 3:04 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
In the relatively short time I was a PC Gold, I was never given any obvious or recognizable room upgrades due to my PC Gold status. If I did receive an "upgrade" it must of been of the "one room farther from the elevator" or "a view of the highway rather than a view of the next building's wall" -type. Not an upgrade one could truly confirm was an upgrade. No front desk clerk ever said, "Due to your PC Gold status, we are upgrading you to a (insert upgraded room type here), sir."

The one time I may have possibly received an upgrade due to being PC Gold, I was given a corner room at an HI located in a provincial city in Japan. But this could have been due more to the fact that I was non-Japanese, or simply was a member of PC when few Japanese apparently were. Of course, it could have simply been the higher rate I paid, or the occasional upgrade every Joe gets if he's on the road often enough.

Room upgrades were never a stated benefit of PC Gold status, and so I had no problem with the lack of upgrades. PC Plat is a different matter though, as upgrades are a stated perk, but this is a item that has been discussed in numerous other threads.
Old Jul 22, 06, 7:07 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
Reading this thread I was just wondering ...
usually the gold is good to get a little fruit (apple some grapes) and a bottle of water onto your room - as I only drink water, this is great for me. ;o)

Today I am staying at the holdiday inn express in SFO irport and did not receive anything at all (girl during checking stated surprised 'oh you are a pc member) - do we receive as gold also something in HIX? I would have liked the water
Old Jul 22, 06, 7:17 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Indeed, Priority Club is very much about relatively easy earning and burning with the odd chance of an upgrade depending on the property. Inconsistent application of published benefits is the programme's weakest point.
Old Aug 8, 06, 11:52 am
VIP

On my latest stay at HI-Orlando, I was upgraded to a suite, plus some nice perks (water, some chocolate, free dessert at the neighboring TGIF). I'm pretty sure this was due to PC Gold status. The suite was nice but the beds were "downgraded" from what I requested (king size) to 2 doubles. The staff was also very attentive.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: