Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Muscat - Crowne Plaza or Inter-Continental?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2006, 2:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Muscat - Crowne Plaza or Inter-Continental?

I'm looking for a hotel for our last night (and very long day) in Muscat in April. Our flight doesn't leave until midnight, so we'd like to stay somewhere with a pool, a decent place to relax, maybe a view, etc. We might be doing some last minute running around before returning to the hotel to relax in the late afternoon. (or maybe Mr. Canuck will be visiting the souk one last time while I hang out by the pool). We can't afford the top-end hotels on this trip, but these two seem to be within our budget. The Inter-Continental has a "luxury escape" rate (83 rials) that includes breakfast and 4 pm check-out, but there's a one night's rate penalty for cancellation. It also has a cancellable club room rate of 108 rials. It also seems close to the airport (good for leaving, not so good for errand-running during the day?). The Crowne Plaza seems to be closer to the water and to other attractions. It has a club room rate of 98 rials, but I'm not sure what kind of advantages this would offer. Has anyone stayed at either or both?
Old Jan 20, 2006, 4:25 am

As far as I remember there are two ICs in Muscat. One is in town, the other (Al Bustan) outside. About 30 min from Airport and 15 min from town.
I was staying in the Al Bustan one. Nice hotel, pool, beach etc. Likely good for hanging out and relaxing, but not good for shopping.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Muscat boasts an two Intercontinentals.

One is the, errrr, Intercontinental. It's a great hotel, with a good pool. Just make sure you DON't get a room over the bar/night-club. It's on the coast in Shatti al Qrm, a smart suburb on the edge of the city, on the airport side. Shopping and restaurants are within walking distance. Probably not worth the club option if its your own wallet, but the sea-view rooms are worth asking for.

The other IC is known as the Al Bustan, on an isolated beach on the other side of the city from the airport. There are those who appreciate it as a "destination" hotel: but it seemed full of German tour groups when I was there.

There is also a CP, very close to the Intercontinental (the first one), on a headland. It's perfectly nice, but very much 4-star compared to the Interconti's 5-star. The facilities are not so impressive.

The Intercontinental is definitely the preferred option if you want to stay ICH. Otherwise consider the Hyatt, 5 minutes' away from the Interconti.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jan 20, 2006 at 7:05 am
Old Jan 21, 2006, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
I love the Al Bustan - definatly worth a visit just to see the lobby!
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. We can't bring ourselves to splurge on the Al Bustan or Hyatt this time, even for one night - we're maxing out our budget on some exotic long-range, dive trips. It sounds like the ICC at Shatti el Qrm is our best bet.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Unfortunately, the rate I saw at the ICC disappeared before I could book it. I've persuaded Mr. Canuck to splurge on a night at the Shangri-La (which has a 6 pm check-out) instead ...
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:39 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
From the IC web site

"The Al Bustan Palace InterContinental will close for a multi million dollar refurbishment from January - December 2007".

Oh well, I'll just have to wait a year to get back there. It was already quite nice, and hopefully they can address the problems mentioned by various posters on tripadvisor.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:04 am
ttw

Programs: IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
Unfortunately, the rate I saw at the ICC disappeared before I could book it. I've persuaded Mr. Canuck to splurge on a night at the Shangri-La (which has a 6 pm check-out) instead ...
I stayed at the Al Husn at Shangri La's Barr al Jissah resort earlier this year. The Shangri-La is amazing!!!! and you will not fail to be impressed. If you have any questions drop me a private mail.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: United Million Miler 1K, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
From the IC web site

"The Al Bustan Palace InterContinental will close for a multi million dollar refurbishment from January - December 2007".
And bumping this post 10 years later, they are closed again most of this year for another refurb.

Yikes
Old May 19, 2017, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Plus1
And bumping this post 10 years later, they are closed again most of this year for another refurb.

Yikes
it's actually common for luxury hotels to be refurbished even more frequently, just not necessarily with a closure.

The property has been reflagged as a RC and this thread should be closed (or moved).
Old May 20, 2017, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Plus1

Yikes
but it's not been an IC for years!
Old May 20, 2017, 2:01 am

The Al Bustan Palace is not the IC Muscat.The IC is a perfectly nice property which I stay at from time to time.No need to close this thread.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I stayed at the IC, GH and Radisson roughly a year ago. The pool area at the IC was being renovated and the noise was annoying. WiFi was spotty / non-existent outside.

Of the three properties the IC was by far the most expensive and thus represented the least value. The Italian restaurant was also a sorrow disappointment. I have no experience of the CP.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Etihad Platinum
Any update on this for this year, want to take my family to Muscat, bringing 2 kids, 4 and 2 years old.
So curious which hotel that would be best for families.
I will stay with points.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:32 am

Yep I have the same question...... IC pool looks amazing but hotel very very dated

Crowne plaza looks like it has a private beach but with smaller swimming pools

Originally Posted by Gabby2
Any update on this for this year, want to take my family to Muscat, bringing 2 kids, 4 and 2 years old.
So curious which hotel that would be best for families.
I will stay with points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.