Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Muscat - Crowne Plaza or Inter-Continental?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by craigmmorq4
Yep I have the same question...... IC pool looks amazing but hotel very very dated

Crowne plaza looks like it has a private beach but with smaller swimming pools
The IC pool is a delight. And there's another pool for serious lappers. There are neat grounds around the main pool, but the hotel growing next door (same owner) has grabbed some of that land. The IC rooms are dated, but not so shabby. It's the grande dame of Muscat hotels and though it's gone downhill just a little over the last few years, it's still a class act.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:05 am

i have no experience at the IC. Almost stayed there, but Crown Plaza seemed like a better overall property for us. I was traveling with my gf, and our friend, his wife, and 2 year old.

Crown was overall a great experience. It's a big property with good amenities i would say. There's a kids pool and regular pool next to each other with the pool area bar right there too. A lot of space for kids to play ( grass area ) and a small, private beach protected by small cove. The main beach is right next the property too, and low tide you can just walk across to it.

The gym was great. We only ate at the sports bar restaurant but it was good. Outdoor balcony and indoor they have sports games ( was all soccer and rugby when we were there ) inside. There's a fine dining restaurant of some sort ( don't remember, didn't go ). As a plat was upgraded to exec room with lounge access. It was nice, but minimal. No alcohol, free tea/coffee/water/soda, some light snacks/fruit/yogurt. The space is nice though and was helpful to do a little work while away. They also seemed to do some type of different dinner event each night on the grass ( and breakfast buffet was outside as well - before it gets too hot ).

Staff was really helpful and parking is free.

Overall, it was a great experience, and although I have no comparison to the IC, i would definitely stay there again: especially with little kids.

On a separate note, the last night in Muscat, we stay at the HIX near the airport. Wow...quite the HIX! Was even upgraded to a huge suite as a plat.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Question CP or IC best for club access in Muscat in March with points booking

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are visiting Muscat in March for 6 nights I was planning to book a room with club access for 2 nights and use points for the other 4 nights, any experience on which is likely to let us keep the same room for all 6 nights and also which is best for club benefits ie breakfast, drinks etc
I am Ambassador Spire, if that helps ? Also reading some of the posts here it looks like I might be able to book a room without club access and then be upgraded at check in, any thoughts on chances of that happening if I just used points for all 6 nights or just paid for 2 nights in non club room ?

Thanks

Down the Back

Last edited by Down the back; Dec 16, 2017 at 1:07 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Down the back
Hi Folks,

My wife and I are visiting Muscat in March for 6 nights I was planning to book a room with club access for 2 nights and use points for the other 4 nights, any experience on which is likely to let us keep the same room for all 6 nights and also which is best for club benefits ie breakfast, drinks etc
I am Ambassador Spire, if that helps ? Also reading some of the posts here it looks like I might be able to book a room without club access and then be upgraded at check in, any thoughts on chances of that happening if I just used points for all 6 nights or just paid for 2 nights in non club room ?
The IC lounge really isn't all that big, in fact it's a bit cramped. So they might not be all that enthusiastic about giving you access on award nights. Still, if you are paying for club rooms on the first nights it might swing them into generosity for the award nights: you could always offer to pay for access if you've particularly enjoyed it on the first days of your stay.

CP - no idea.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:45 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The IC lounge really isn't all that big, in fact it's a bit cramped. So they might not be all that enthusiastic about giving you access on award nights. Still, if you are paying for club rooms on the first nights it might swing them into generosity for the award nights: you could always offer to pay for access if you've particularly enjoyed it on the first days of your stay.

CP - no idea.
Thanks Ian, good idea, we can see how often or if we use it on the paid nights to see if it is worth paying for on the reward nights if asked to pay. Does anybody have any ideas or experience of how the CP in Muscat would deal with someone moving from paid club room to a reward night ? ie would you keep the same room with club access ?

Regards

DtB
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
hello just trying to decide if I should stay 4 nights in the IC or the Crown plaza. I am RA if that helps. I wonder if the pool has been "updated"?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 11:08 am

Any updated thoughts on the IC vs. the CP for a first-time visitor to MCT? No status revenue booking - rates are very similar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.