Wiki Posts
Search

IC Singapore Master Thread [merged] - after Jan 01, 2010

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 8:08 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by MagicWok
I've never had much luck with upgrades at the IC Sin as a Plat Amb. I do see from reviews that others booking a business room get club access, and fairly consistently to the Shophouse rooms. I do ask. Oh well

Me? Higher floor/view and definitely no club access. I've been quite a few times now all in a business room, all with the same result. So this year I'm going to give the IC a miss for a while now, starting this summer.
Have you thought about emailing the reservations department and explaining that although you are not complaining that you are not receiving your basic upgrade entitlement that you were wondering if they could improve on it for future bookings? Give them your approximate number of nights you plan to spend ..... don't threaten but simply say that you are offered better recognition elsewhere but would like to remain loyal if the couod find a way to imrpve the upgrade. It might help you if you can also be specific about what you'd like. If they agree, this will be logged on your profile and you will also have a named contact for future bookings. Bags of courtesy and humour helps.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: # Neodymium #
I've never had much luck with upgrades at the IC Sin as a Plat Amb. I do see from reviews that others booking a business room get club access, and fairly consistently to the Shophouse rooms. I do ask. Oh well

Me? Higher floor/view and definitely no club access. I've been quite a few times now all in a business room, all with the same result. So this year I'm going to give the IC a miss for a while now, starting this summer.
A general rule for amb upgrade has been a 'better' room, OR club.
Let them know you'd prefer club as your upgrade, and you should be sorted. (Just in the same room cat you booked!)
Old May 1, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by uk1
Have you thought about emailing the reservations department and explaining that although you are not complaining that you are not receiving your basic upgrade entitlement that you were wondering if they could improve on it for future bookings? Give them your approximate number of nights you plan to spend ..... don't threaten but simply say that you are offered better recognition elsewhere but would like to remain loyal if the couod find a way to imrpve the upgrade. It might help you if you can also be specific about what you'd like. If they agree, this will be logged on your profile and you will also have a named contact for future bookings. Bags of courtesy and humour helps.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
It may be worth a shot - they will see the record back and hopefully someone is having a good day when they pick up the email Cheers uk1 for giving me another nudge to try again, I guess...

They never broke the letter-of-the-law with regards to my upgrade, and whenever I enquired about Club access, I got a polite fee per day answer. I do always get a warm welcome, and some remember us by name. Just strange I am the one with the short straw.

Obviously I am the fall guy for all of you, so in return I expect lots of points as thanks! Infact I'm sure it said Mr Magic Wok (Fallguy) on the booking screen?
Old May 1, 2015, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Obviously I am the fall guy for all of you, so in return I expect lots of points as thanks! Infact I'm sure it said Mr Magic Wok (Fallguy) on the booking screen?
And thanks for that! I'm fresh off an upgrade from Deluxe to the Presidential Suite. RA though. Seriously, I think a polite e-mail to Reservations is likely to pay off. They're pretty responsive. I would prompt them with your stay history and expected future stays.
Old May 2, 2015, 2:56 am
uk1
Suspended

It may be worth a shot - they will see the record back and hopefully someone is having a good day when they pick up the email Cheers uk1 for giving me another nudge to try again, I guess...

They never broke the letter-of-the-law with regards to my upgrade, and whenever I enquired about Club access, I got a polite fee per day answer. I do always get a warm welcome, and some remember us by name. Just strange I am the one with the short straw.

You aren't a fall guy, you are simply hoping for the best when getting best takes a little more efffort. The squeeky wheel gets the oil

You simply need a special note on your file. This will only be added manually by a person. It means that if agreed and approved, then in the future every time you make a booking send an email with your booking reference to "your new friend" asking them to weave their magic - or ask them to make the booking for you. Develkop some friendships. The reservations people love dealing with people and making them happy. This is their chance.

And please ..... remember also to send a thank you note afterwards preferably to the GM about your appreciation blindcopied to your contact. This is appreciated so much and is by far the most important thing you can do. We should be spending more time saying "thanks" and not just complaining when things go wrong. Staff need to know their efforts are valued and genuinely appreciated.

I was once told by another property GM when I asked them why I always got a decent upgrade (as it happens the HI Victor Hugo Nice .....) that "exceptional customers get exceptional service" and it is something I and we should never forget.

Good luck

Old May 2, 2015, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by uk1
You aren't a fall guy, you are simply hoping for the best when getting best takes a little more efffort. The squeeky wheel gets the oil
I know what you are saying, and at this hotel it may work, but there is a negative to this as well. Lately with Flyertalk and the Internet, certain hotels are bombarded with emails begging for upgrades. I was told once by a reservation manager that I was getting a nice special upgrade because I was a good customer who never bothered her with emails begging for upgrades. I gathered she was sick of it, especially with people falsely claiming it was their honeymoon!
Old May 2, 2015, 3:30 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
I know what you are saying, and at this hotel it may work, but there is a negative to this as well. Lately with Flyertalk and the Internet, certain hotels are bombarded with emails begging for upgrades. I was told once by a reservation manager that I was getting a nice special upgrade because I was a good customer who never bothered her with emails begging for upgrades. I gathered she was sick of it, especially with people falsely claiming it was their honeymoon!
Thanks. I get your point.

I think the negative you alude to is me talking about it rather than people doing it.

I guess they are unlikely to be worst off asking and whilst it was delightful you received the treatment you did for the reason given, you have to ask whether apparently punishing others for asking but rewarding you for not and "being sick of it" is the normal rational general reaction from a sensible rational person in the hospitality business.

Anyway, I remain convinced that it isn't just what you ask but how you ask and how you follow it up that's important. Normally the worst that would happen would be a "no" not punishment for those that do ask and rewards for others that don't ask.
Old May 2, 2015, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by uk1
I think the negative you alude to is me talking about it rather than people doing it.

Anyway, I remain convinced that it isn't just what you ask but how you ask and how you follow it up that's important.
No I was referring to people actually doing this. But you are absolutely right that it's all in how you ask, comport yourself and treat others that count. Lying about a honeymoon, acting poorly or rudely at the hotel, failing to return the kindness are things that create a negative aura around people who simply beg for upgrades. It's not quite universal, but it does happen a lot. This is partly why Starwood had to really refine its upgrade policy and the legal language around it. Starwood was the chain getting the most abuse.
Old May 2, 2015, 3:48 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
No I was referring to people actually doing this. But you are absolutely right that it's all in how you ask, comport yourself and treat others that count. Lying about a honeymoon, acting poorly or rudely at the hotel, failing to return the kindness are things that create a negative aura around people who simply beg for upgrades. It's not quite universal, but it does happen a lot. This is partly why Starwood had to really refine its upgrade policy and the legal language around it. Starwood was the chain getting the most abuse.
I agree. Actually I think your point is more right than mine from that integrity and behaviour perspective. The DYKWIA attitude and the bad acceptance of "no" and the lack of respect and humour in the way you ask is important. And telling lies is unacceptable.

To be honest ... and I'll be the only to admit it ... in the old days we were sometimes celebrating an "anniversary" but you have to be bleedin' careful with this with groups that keep centralised records. Under UK laws ...one wife at a time .... and so more than one anniversary in a year might cause questioning eyebrows.

I agree with you about telling lies about these things. I use to say sometimes it was a suprise trip for wifey but I'd never agree with anyone telling lies about honeymoons or stuff - that does make it worst for genuine people. I do think that regular and demonstrably loyal customers aren't wrong to ask if something better is possible ... but not one off customers and the other stuff is unacceptable.

I never had a honeymoon. No cash. Can I claim one now?

Old May 12, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
I've noticed that the shophouse rooms are listed as two-person only. When I add my son as a child (2 yrs old) alongside my wife and I, they aren't available to select. He would be sleeping in a cot, not a bed.

Just wondering, if I book a business room (and following the general trend so far of getting upgraded to a shophouse room) having my son on the booking would rule me out of similar? I'm likely to contact the hotel about this additionally.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Not sure why they aren't bookable - maybe a space issue. Regardless I would speak to the hotel and aim for a room in the tower. More spacious rooms and away from the noise of the shopping mall, plus you get a view of the city.

BTW I believe the Olive Tree restaurant is now closed for renovation, don't know wha the arrangement for breakfast is (unless you will have Club access).
Old May 16, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I've noticed that the shophouse rooms are listed as two-person only. When I add my son as a child (2 yrs old) alongside my wife and I, they aren't available to select. He would be sleeping in a cot, not a bed.

Just wondering, if I book a business room (and following the general trend so far of getting upgraded to a shophouse room) having my son on the booking would rule me out of similar? I'm likely to contact the hotel about this additionally.
In my experience, King Business upgrades to Club access with either a standard King room in the tower or a junior suite in the tower, while King Club upgrades to Shophouse King.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Given the one category upgrade is guaranteed for Ambassadors on paid stays, I've found it helpful to contact reservations at each hotel to understand which room I need to book to get the room I actually want.

In the case of IC Singapore rather than booking a base room, I booked a Shophouse King and have been upgraded to a Shophouse Suite.

This removes the uncertainty around upgrades, and is one of the strongest points of the Ambassador program.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Gold, SQ*G, MH Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador

shophouse king rooms barely have space to walk...
Old May 25, 2015, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Nickolash27
Not sure why they aren't bookable - maybe a space issue. Regardless I would speak to the hotel and aim for a room in the tower. More spacious rooms and away from the noise of the shopping mall, plus you get a view of the city.

BTW I believe the Olive Tree restaurant is now closed for renovation, don't know wha the arrangement for breakfast is (unless you will have Club access).
Is true, closed on the 19th and will be shut for a little more than 2 months. It will reopen with a different name and concept.

Breakfast is exactly the same offering but moved out into the lobby area....works remarkably well, very comfortable in fact.

Lot of the guys doing the refurb work drop into the club lounge at end of drinks window toward 7.30.

Oh and the Bugis exit/entrance to MRT etc now has a hotel security guy there full time and needs key card to get in since the restaurant shutting and using the Lobby.....not really sure why but far from a problem.

The work rebuilding the Olive Tree is pretty loud during the day...very loud in fact. But that stops at 6.30. Could be a problem if meeting in the lobby area.

They have also boarded up the view area from 2nd near lounge down onto the old Olive Tree and at the side of the Man Fu Yuan. All very subtle stuff in the main.

3rd floor renovations start about 9.00 a.m and are noticeable but you'd have to be fairly picky for it to worry you too much.

Last edited by Atacama40; May 26, 2015 at 2:48 am Reason: missed item

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.