Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List of IC hotels that respect RA benefits on AWARD stays

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
No upgrade at IC Barclay? Is that a first??
Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Originally Posted by mapu
IC Barclay

Upgrade: no

Complementary Minibar: yes

Amenity: fruit bowl

Club Access: N/A
WOW!

Not even an upgrade to a Junior Suite?????
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:39 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Ic Hkg

Originally Posted by Jet2K
My experience is also similar to Unterwegs.

On a recent stay at the end of December, first two nights were using points, upgraded to pool view room and free mini-bar. The last two nights were revenue nights for harbor view junior suite with Club IC access, ended up getting Executive suite full harbor view with club access. Free minibar for drinks for all (points and revenue) nights.
Me too! My sister and brother-in-law visit HKG very often. I book them 2-3 reward night stays per year by using my PC account points and always with my sister's name added to the reservation. I usually do the check in and then disappear, and always get upgraded to junior suite (once even full size suite) with full RA privileges.

Last year I booked a reward night on the 2nd day of chinese new year and invited all my friends to watch comfortably from the suite the firework display at Victoria Harbor. Hotel delivered a bottle of champagne as gift for chinese new year celebration as well. Unforgettable experience!

i cannot imagine someone walk in there with an attitude like I own the hotel or like I am the most important guest there. If I were the front desk staff and even had room available for upgrade, I would just simply tell him reward nights are not eligible for upgrade and would be very happy to see his facing turning red like this ->

I also wonder if hotel does blacklist difficult customers

Last edited by GordonGordon; Jan 31, 2008 at 9:03 am
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by stimpy
I got a note under the door saying that if I had paid for part of my stay, I would have gotten a room upgrade. But since the entire stay is on points I do not get an upgrade. But it does say I get the mini-bar beverages and the free movie. It's in writing.
Here is the written answer I received from IC Bangkok regarding this matter :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. XXX,

Greetings from InterContinental Bangkok,

Regarding to your email we are pleased to offer for 02 options as following details;

1st option: You have to pay for Deluxe room rate at THB 6,300+10% Service charge and 7% Tax per each room/night (Total 06 nights)

Then, room will be upgrading from Deluxe to Club room inclusive of breakfast and all club benefits as Royal Ambassador Membership condition.

Hotel will return the priority club point to your account for further visit.

2nd option: You to pay for surcharge at THB 3,200+10% Service charge and 7% Tax by using redemption point for deluxe room for room upgrading to Club room and entitle to club benefits as well.

Should you need further information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at all time.

Best regards,

Worachead (Mr.)

Reservation Supervisor

InterContinental Bangkok Thailand

T : +66 2 656 0444

F : +66 2 254 9988

[email protected]

http://www.ihg.com

INTERCONTINENTAL BANGKOK

973 Ploenchit Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand

Tel: [+66] 02 656 0444

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:51 PM
To: InterContinental Bangkok
Subject: This mail concern my reservations #XXX

Dear Madam, dear Sir,

I will stay in your hotel on points from 6th to 12th February 2008.

I was told that, despite being Royal Ambassador #XXX:

- I will not get access at the InterContinental club lounge,

- but I was also told that if I had paid for part of my stay, I would have gotten a room upgrade with club access.

Would you please tell me if this information is correct or not.

If this correct, would it be possible to pay my first night (1 king bed deluxe, t THB 6,300) and get back the 5,000 points corresponding to this night.

Best regards
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:50 am
aku

Programs: UA 1MM, Marr/SPG LT Plat, HH Gold, IC Amb, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5*, BW LT Diam
Ic Bkk

Originally Posted by GordonGordon
I would like to hear if anyone stayed there with all reward nights (without any paying nights). Is so, I would like to know if the hotel give any RA benefits for all reward nights.

It seems if you have 1 or 2 paid nights at the beginning and followed by reward nights, the hotel will give RA benefits throughout your entire stay, but if your entire stay is all reward nights, then the hotel won't give any RA benefits. Is that true?
I stayed there last week, and my experience was different from that of spunk_tokyo. My first night was a PB night, the second was paid and upgraded with Club access. In response to my e-mail request before arrival, I received the following:
In our system we have your booking from 27th to 29th in January, 2008 and your reservation is confirmed for 1 Deluxe King for the 1st night and 1 Club Deluxe King for the 2nd night.
  • Since your 1st night will be on the points, the Club Benefits (Club Lounge access, Free Internet, Dry cleaning allowances etc.) will not be applied. However, with the supplement charge of THB 3,200 per night (10% Service charge and 7% Tax will be added.) you will be able to have the Club Benefits same as for the 2nd night. With our usual practice, the room change will be required however, I will exceptionally arrange that you do not need to change your room for both nights.
  • The Royal Ambassador Benefits will also be applied for the 2nd night only.
When I arrived, the desk person confirmed that I would not get Club access or any RA benefits the first night. It was only after some discussion that they agreed to let me stay in the same room both nights.

Based on my and other people's experiences, it seems the rule is: If you ask ahead of time, you won't get the benefits on award stays. If you don't ask, you'll get the benefits--maybe.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by aku
Based on my and other people's experiences, it seems the rule is: If you ask ahead of time, you won't get the benefits on award stays. If you don't ask, you'll get the benefits--maybe.
Well, I did ask, sent email to IC BKK asking their policy upgrade, didn't receive any reply, but was upgraded to club room on check-in, full RA benefits on 2 rooms on PB stay.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:07 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
IC Tahiti: 2 out of 2 award nights
-Upgrade: Yes, to Over Water Bungalow
-Complementary Minibar: Yes (had to be removed at checkout)
-Club lounge access: Isn't one

IC Moorea: 2 out of 4 award nights. 1st 2 nights paid (BOGO used)
-Upgrade: Yes, to OWB, horizon view (highest category)
-Complementary Minibar: Yes (already taken off at checkout, including food)
-Early checkin honored at 11am

IC Thalasso: 5 out of 7 award night. 3rd and 4th nights paid (BOGO used)
-Upgrade: Yes, kind of. Non paid nights were upgraded to same category as paid nights - Sapphire level for those who know. No need to change rooms
-Complementary Minibar: Yes, mostly. Got most of it removed at checkout after being told by clerk wasn't supposed to. He left $20 out of ~$300 on the bill. No arguing from me
-Late checkout honored

IC Tahiti: 1 out of 1 award night
-Upgrade: Yes, to best suite in house
-Complimentary Minibar: Yes (already removed from bill)
-Club lounge: Isn't one
-Late checkout: YES, until deparing flight - 6pm!
Old Feb 8, 2008, 3:31 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by EdV
IC Tahiti: 2 out of 2 award nights
-Upgrade: Yes, to Over Water Bungalow
-Complementary Minibar: Yes (had to be removed at checkout)

IC Tahiti: 1 out of 1 award night
-Upgrade: Yes, to best suite in house
-Complimentary Minibar: Yes (already removed from bill)
-Club lounge: Isn't one
-Late checkout: YES, until deparing flight - 6pm!
For IC Tahiti at Papeete, last time I only got upgraded to Paranomic room even on paid night (booked the cheapest garden view room). The garden rooms are on first loor, lagoon view rooms are on 2nd floor and paranomic rooms are on top floor, so indeed I got double upgrade already as RA. I guess you had to be very... very lucky to get O/W bungalow on reward nights Have they changed their upgrade policy?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 7:50 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
I guess you had to be very... very lucky to get O/W bungalow on reward nights Have they changed their upgrade policy?
I'm not sure they changed their policy but I still firmly believe that by initiating a conversation with them (via email) ahead of time as I normally do (especially on points) I was able to secure a much better upgrade. Plus, January is still the slow season there - when did you go?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Originally Posted by gleff
No upgrade at IC Barclay? Is that a first??
Originally Posted by pranu
WOW!

Not even an upgrade to a Junior Suite?????
Seems like I really had bad luck...
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by EdV
I'm not sure they changed their policy but I still firmly believe that by initiating a conversation with them (via email) ahead of time as I normally do (especially on points) I was able to secure a much better upgrade. Plus, January is still the slow season there - when did you go?
That explained. I was there during highest season in August!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 2:47 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
IC Boston - any RA experience on reward nights?

Appreciate any help.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EX PLT
Does "The Intercontinental Grand New Delhi, India" Honor RA benefits on an award stay?

And do you have to pay VAT tax and Luxury tax on award stay? I ma asking because they are showin up on my reservation page.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by spurg
Does "The Intercontinental Grand New Delhi, India" Honor RA benefits on an award stay?

And do you have to pay VAT tax and Luxury tax on award stay? I ma asking because they are showin up on my reservation page.
They will upgrade you, but charge you tax on the rack rate of the upgraded room, wheth er your stay is paid in $$ or in points. That has always been their policy and they claim it is a legal requirement. From your booking confirmation it looks as though the policy has not changed, And as it has been spelled out to you there, you can't claim you did not know. However, you might take it up with the Ambassador help desk.

There are similar replies to you duplicate post in another thread.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
They will upgrade you, but charge you tax on the rack rate of the upgraded room, wheth er your stay is paid in $$ or in points. That has always been their policy and they claim it is a legal requirement. From your booking confirmation it looks as though the policy has not changed, And as it has been spelled out to you there, you can't claim you did not know. However, you might take it up with the Ambassador help desk.

There are similar replies to you duplicate post in another thread.
Does this apply to all IC's? I am looking to book the Amstel in Amsterdam on an award stay and called the IC reservation desk (800) and asked whether I would have to pay taxes and she said no. Confused!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.