Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Belfast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Holiday Inn Belfast

Having done most of my IC Hotels' stays in the US, I was pleasantly surprised at the standard of this hotel when I had occasion to overnight there last week. To me, Holiday Inns in the US are usually tired old shabby hotels that have seen better days and are generally in need of significant renovation.

The HI in Belfast was the polar opposite to this image. The location is in a great spot downtown. The lobby was modern and the staff efficient and pleasant. My platinum status (thanks to the codes posted on here recently) was recognized and I was upgraded to an executive room. The room itself was also modern and reminded me of a boutique hotel with it's red walls and quality bed linen. A nice touch was the complimentary 1/2 bottle and snipe of wine, bottle of water, four Cadbury's chocolate bars and cheese plate that were left in the room for me.

If only the US HIs were like this!

The only negative was that the web site indicated that parking was included where it actually was not. It cost 7 GBP in a nearby multistorey.

The stay cost me 15k points.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, AA Gold, PC Gold
Yep, I've stayed there a few times (for location near office) and always been satisfied. The decor is actually fairly similar in a number of HI's in UK, I think there is/was a major refurb programme fairly recently.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:33 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Question

Sounds lovely, but how well is it bombproofed ?

Seriously, is it near any flashpoint neighborhoods? Did you feel safe walking around there alone at night?
Any cool restaurants or pubs?
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brendan
Sounds lovely, but how well is it bombproofed ?

Seriously, is it near any flashpoint neighborhoods? Did you feel safe walking around there alone at night?
Any cool restaurants or pubs?

Contrary to popular belief, Belfast is a really nice city and has some great pubs and restaurants. Quite close to the hotel were a number of buildings with the usual UVF 'no surrender' mural type rubbish painted on them, but it really isn't a patch on what the place was like back in the 70s and 80s. My stay was just after the Orange marches which had been nearly issue free this year. I'd have no hesitation walking around there at night.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Any more recent info on this hotel? Do Platinum members have to pay for the Sauna/Jacuzzi?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:45 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by stimpy
Any more recent info on this hotel? Do Platinum members have to pay for the Sauna/Jacuzzi?
As of February this year, which was my latest but probably 20th stay there:
- Upgrade whenever a room is available, they're sold out frequently, though.
- Free internet for plats
- Swimmingpool is free for all guests and belongs to an independently run gym. I never tried spa or sauna
- Breakfast not free but there's a wetherspoon next door
- 20% off f/b for plats
- Rooms are newish, but some could do with some maintenance and a thorough scrubbing. This applies to the hilton as well though. Overall great value in a central location, check for 2-4-1 rate

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Sep 26, 2010 at 2:53 am
Old Sep 26, 2010, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Rewards Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, Tesco Clubcard
Having stayed at the HI Belfast myself several times, the last time being in April when it became my home for 4 nights due to the Icelandic volcanic ash cloud, I agree its a great hotel, great staff and fantastic location. And it's decor is very much in keeping with the majority of HIs in the UK.

Belfast itself is a superb city, both for business and pleasure. It's safe, clean and friendly. I wouldn't hesitate walking around the streets day or night.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a strange privacy violation here that I have never seen before at any hotel. At check in they put a sheet of paper in front of you with the names of all the Platinum and Gold people checking in that day. You have to write in your newspaper preference and sign for it.

I personally don't care, but I know a lot of people who do not want it known publicly where they are staying!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:52 am

There is a strange privacy violation here that I have never seen before at any hotel. At check in they put a sheet of paper in front of you with the names of all the Platinum and Gold people checking in that day. You have to write in your newspaper preference and sign for it.

I personally don't care, but I know a lot of people who do not want it known publicly where they are staying!
Standard in many, many UK HI(X). I think it is very convenient (especially in Belfast I get my keys within 2 seconds) - but indeed a privacy issue.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Standard in many, many UK HI(X).
Hmm. I've never seen this in any London or London area HI's. But it's been a number of years since I've stayed at an HI upcountry.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Exclamation

Especially in Belfast! The Sinn Fein operatives & the Loyalists don't want each other to know where they are!

BTW, since my Post #3 above I went to Belfast at Easter 2005. I even stayed at the HIX near Ormeau St. 'Tis indeed a fair city downtown. Yes, I also did take a Black Taxi tour.
However, a few weeks later there was a bomb blast at 4 AM at the Days Inn at the entry to Loyalist Sandy Row. Some people suspected that it may have been revenge for the hotel not paying its Street Tax/ Protection Extortion money to one side or another.

Last edited by Brendan; Sep 29, 2010 at 3:10 pm
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
Especially in Belfast! The Sinn Fein operatives & the Loyalists don't want each other to know where they are!

BTW, since my Post #3 above I went to Belfast at Easter 2005. I even stayed at the HIX near Ormeau St. 'Tis indeed a fair city downtown. Yes, I also did take a Black Taxi tour.
However, a few weeks later there was a bomb blast at 4 AM at the Days Inn at the entry to Loyalist Sandy Row. Some people suspected that it may have been revenge for the hotel not paying its Street Tax/ Protection Extortion money to one side or another.
Oh please. It's 2010. Security would be the least of my concerns in Belfast, not even on Jul, 12. Rather drunken crowds on Saturday nights....
As if RealIRA miltants would stay at the Holiday Inn... (and have a Plat card!)

Since 2005, downtown Belfast has changed a lot - and is still changing - to probably some of the most appealing city center in the UK.

For the record: The HI is on Ormeau Ave, the HIX on University Street, around "Botanic" close to Stranmillis - good location if you're into going out with the student crowds of Queen's Uni, and near Botanic road with good dining and bar options. Overall, the HI is in a better location. HIX to HI is around 15 mins by foot.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Sep 29, 2010 at 3:32 pm
Old May 9, 2011, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Was able to snag 2 rooms for the wife and her family on pointbreaks for this hotel which is a fantastic value.

However, wife has read less than complimentary reviews on Tripadvisor re the cleaniliness of the hotel and is leery.

As I put much more stock in reviews by my FTer bretheren, would appreciate comments on this issue -- as well as any others -- regarding this property to set her mind to rest.

In addition, as she will be driving, would appreciate comments concerning any decent car parks nearby as well as sights to see while in Belfast.

By the way, she has no status.

Many thanks,

NJ
Old May 9, 2011, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Was able to snag 2 rooms for the wife and her family on pointbreaks for this hotel which is a fantastic value.

However, wife has read less than complimentary reviews on Tripadvisor re the cleaniliness of the hotel and is leery.

As I put much more stock in reviews by my FTer bretheren, would appreciate comments on this issue -- as well as any others -- regarding this property to set her mind to rest.

In addition, as she will be driving, would appreciate comments concerning any decent car parks nearby as well as sights to see while in Belfast.

By the way, she has no status.

Many thanks,

NJ
Maintenance is the issue rather than cleanliness. Just change rooms if not satsified.

You can park along the road at night, plenty of space. There are also two paid car parks (one attached to the hotel, one open car park).

The hotel usually has exec rooms available for points, make sure you get them if possible.
Old May 10, 2011, 5:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Maintenance is the issue rather than cleanliness. Just change rooms if not satsified.

You can park along the road at night, plenty of space. There are also two paid car parks (one attached to the hotel, one open car park).

The hotel usually has exec rooms available for points, make sure you get them if possible.
Much obliged for the comments. With respect to an exec room, the P/Bs for the nights in question only offered a double Exec for booking. I read the website and it did not seem that the exec rooms really offer anything more than a couple of in room amenities, but no breakfast.

So, as between a double bed on the Exec floor or a Queen bed elsewhere, it seemed the latter the better choice. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

NJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.