Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it time for IC to Clarify the 30% rule?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2004, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Is it time for IC to Clarify the 30% rule?

Okay, I admit in the past I have challenged those who had their stay credits denied because the rates paid were "30% below the published rate". Then it happened to me. I booked a GREAT RATES stay at the HI SYD and have now been told by the service centre that it does not qualify for PC points/credit because it falls afoul of this reg.

Now, I have booked dozens of GREAT RATES and even lower INTERNET PRE-PAID rates and they have always qualified for PC points/credits. Why was this one different?

Well, I suppose not all GREAT RATES and INTERNET PRE-PAID rates are created equal. Which makes it virtually impossible for us to know which rates will actually qualify and which ones will not.

Now I can accept this policy if IC makes it very clear on the booking engine that a given rate "will not earn PC points or stay credit". I don't think this is an unreasonable request.

So, I am asking for a bit more feedback on this matter from members here, and then I suggest we forward this thread to both INSIDE FLYER [who perhaps can inquire of IC on our behalf, or at least warn others] and IC PRIORITY CLUB senior management [to request that this policy be clarified and that IC post ineligibility of rates clearly on every booking screen so we know what's what].

I do not object to exclusions under normal circumstances, but I do if we are not informed about them when we make our booking choice.
Old May 31, 2004, 9:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I book prepaid internet and great rates all the time at properties in Europe, North America and Asia. I always get credit, no problem. Sometimes I am offered even cheaper rates than the one booked when I arrive here in Inner Mongolia and I STILL get the credit. Hope this is just a hiccup and not the future. . .
Old May 31, 2004, 10:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
SH: I presume you write PC to get your stay credited. Sounds like they will do this if you ask . . . I am up to about 30 nights so far on Great and Internet rates and will have many more this year so don't want this "rule" to jeopardize successful attainment of PC Plat for 2005
Old Jun 1, 2004, 6:17 am

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
SH: I presume you write PC to get your stay credited. Sounds like they will do this if you ask . . . I am up to about 30 nights so far on Great and Internet rates and will have many more this year so don't want this "rule" to jeopardize successful attainment of PC Plat for 2005
I agree. Let's don't rock the boat. They will credit you if you call and ask. I've had to do it too.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 7:32 am
Suspended

Shareholder,

Assuming you booked it through IHG’s HOLIDEX® Plus reservation systems (i.e.: their website and/or their telephone reservation system), then email Priority Club. They have a discrepency form for stays and points on the website. Before writing what really happened, just email them and say you did not get stay credit or points for a booking and fill in all the information, including your reservation number (which is most important). 95% of the time, you'll get an email back within a day or 2 and the points, bonuses and the stay will be credited.

PC CS has all the buttons to make that happen. All you have to do is get someone to push them. ^ If that approach doesn't work first, then you should state the obvious as a later attempt.

A Stay is defined as one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel, regardless of frequency of check-in/check-out. A Stay is qualified when paying Qualifying Room Rates, which include most business and leisure rates. At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts worldwide, you will receive 2,000 points per Qualifying Stay or the applicable airline miles, which may vary by participating airline. At all other participating hotel brands, you will receive ten (10) points for each USD dollar or local currency equivalent paid toward Eligible Charges on your individual hotel room bill, when you pay Qualifying Room Rates, or the applicable airline miles. Eligible Charges Worldwide include the following Qualifying Room Rates paid for hotel room nights: non-discounted rate, standard corporate rate, worldwide sales negotiated rate, national/regional/local government rate and specified leisure rates as confirmed by IHG’s HOLIDEX® Plus reservation systems. In addition, in North, South and Central America and the Caribbean, points may be collected at conference, meeting and locally negotiated rates if these rates are discounted less than 30%

Good luck!

Last edited by Cygnus X-1; Jun 1, 2004 at 7:38 am
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I too have booked these rates many dozens of times over the past year they have been offered on the HI/PC site, and always got the credit. That's why this one was a bit of a shock to me.

I had been waiting for over a week to see several stays from properties in Australia post [see my thread here about these properties and the wonderful treatment I received from them as a Plat/Ambassador member]. When they hadn't, I filled in the form on the site and submitted it. This was early yesterday morning [Memorial Day so I didn't expect any action until today] and last night I had an email back saying both my stays submitted did not qualify as they fell afoul of the mysterious 30% rule. One was a Great Rates and the other was a CORPORATE RATE. I was given "incidentals" for the Corporate Rate stay, which is strange because I didn't have any such charges.

I do plan to follow this up, first with a call to the Service Centre, then if not resolved, a letter to Steven Sickel, Snr VP Loyalty Marketing who signed our new benefit year "welcome" letter. Just wanted to get some feedback here, particularly from others who have experienced the same problem.

Stay tuned...

BTW, upon searching both the new printed T&C guide and the website version, I still cannot find anything more explicit than "discounted rates" and the only reference to 30% off normal rates only as it applies to convention bookings in the Americas.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:33 pm

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I do plan to follow this up, first with a call to the Service Centre, then if not resolved, a letter to Steven Sickel, Snr VP Loyalty Marketing who signed our new benefit year "welcome" letter. Just wanted to get some feedback here, particularly from others who have experienced the same problem.

Stay tuned...

BTW, upon searching both the new printed T&C guide and the website version, I still cannot find anything more explicit than "discounted rates" and the only reference to 30% off normal rates only as it applies to convention bookings in the Americas.
I would call the service center, and not get off the phone until I was satisfied. They will usually give in, if you hold out long enough.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I called, explained, waited, was put on hold, and told they'd get back to me by email. A few minutes later, checking the website, still no change on the Great Rates stay, but they added another 15 points to the "incidentals" on the Corporate Rate stay. No point calling back. Have drafted letter and will include documentation which will go off to Steven Sickel, Snr VP Loyalty Marketing at world HQ in Windsor, England. Will also copy INSIDE FLYER as it makes no sense that a Corporate Rate at one property can be considered a Qualifying Rate while at another it is not. Furthermore, there is no definition of that the "standard rate" is. Is it the Rack Rate? Well, we all know that just about every other rate off the Rack Rate is more than 30%.

I have never had a Customer Service problem with PC, and every previous problem has been solved quickly and competitently.

Can someone find anything on the PC website that actually refers to this 30% number, other than the one relating to Conference Rates in the Americas? Or a notice that was sent to us advising of this change in what is considered a Qualifying Rate? I have looked and looked...

It is not a matter of rocking the boat, but knowing in the future whether rates will qualify or not. As we have all experienced, Great Rates and Internet prepaid rates have been credited in the past, and we all share that source of much of our points/credits to date. If they strip us all of status, then the will undermine their entire program, and in the end deliver us to Hilton or Starwood or Marriott. I have been a great supporter of this program and the great changes they have brought in over the past year.

But playing roulette with every future booking, including Corporate Rates, is not how I want to participate in a loyalty program.

Last edited by Shareholder; Jun 1, 2004 at 5:02 pm
Old Jun 1, 2004, 6:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
I Agree

To date, there has been no problem, but would hate to think that rate gambling will be the future for PC members.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 10:54 am

Programs: Nothing much anymore. Used to be annual 1K but ditched the work travel life. Still 1MM on UA.
I completely agree!!!

Originally Posted by Shareholder
As we have all experienced, Great Rates and Internet prepaid rates have been credited in the past, and we all share that source of much of our points/credits to date. If they strip us all of status, then the will undermine their entire program, and in the end deliver us to Hilton or Starwood or Marriott. I have been a great supporter of this program and the great changes they have brought in over the past year.

But playing roulette with every future booking, including Corporate Rates, is not how I want to participate in a loyalty program.

Shareholder, I agree with you completely. I stay 150-175 nights a year at IC properties and book just about every stay on the web. About 99% of those stays are either on the Great Rate or the 21-Day Advance Purchase rate. I honestly cannot remember the last time I stayed anywhere at any other rate.

I have never had any problems with not earning points on these stays, but I would hate to think that I encounter such a property where I do have a problem with these rates. It would definitely drive me to another program if this was widespread. I too do not want to play roulette. (Craps, yes, but I never win at roulette. )

BTW, I thought it was explicitly stated that the 21-Day Advance Purchase rate always earns points.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 10:41 pm

So far in my short time that I've started traveling again (bout 4 months now) I've had 2x where PC hasn't given me points for staying at a PC location. One was at a Staybridge Suites in Sunnyvale, CA and the other was a HI in Atlanta, GA area. I emailed about the SS one and they gave me some points for it. Just emailed them for the HI one and will see what happens. I have to book all my hotels through my companies travel site so I've taken to picking more expensive rates that are still corporate approved just to make sure I get my points... kinda sad and am seriously considering switching to Hilton or Marriott if they keep up this tendency.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 12:30 pm

Programs: IC Spire HH Gold Delta?
21-DAY ADVANCE and Internet Saver rate points

From the PC website:

"GET REWARDED FOR RESERVING EARLY WITH OUR NEW 21-DAY ADVANCE PURCHASE RATES

SAVE 30% OR MORE off standard, non-discounted rates.

Book your room at any participating hotel at least 21 days in advance and save at least 30% off the standard, non-discounted rate* -- earn Priority Club® points too! Rate requires prepayment** and is found exclusively at this website."

and

"The “Internet Saver” Rate from InterContinental Hotels Group WebSavers program
* Get from 15% to 70% off the non-discounted rate at select hotels (discount varies by hotel)
* Lowest Internet Rate Guaranteed
* Weekend or Weekday bookings
* Book last-minute to 20 days out
* Over 2,000 participating InterContinental Hotels Group locations worldwide
* Earn Priority Club® Rewards points for your stays**"
** Membership required.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What can one say other than this further confuses the whole issue. I have heard nothing from the long letter sent to Steven Sickel, though it only went out last week. I will report what response does come. Needless to say, not wanting to risk any other stays not being credited, I have booked Westins and Hiltons for coming trips, even though I will likely miss out on some of those double points and 10K bonuses.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 7:52 pm

I have 2 issues with this so far now. Have emailed PC cust service both times and have been issue points for both stays without any issues. I would be guessing they are probably are getting plenty of complaints on this and might have a standing rule to just give the points to anyone that makes an issue of it.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by engineerfalde
I have 2 issues with this so far now. Have emailed PC cust service both times and have been issue points for both stays without any issues. I would be guessing they are probably are getting plenty of complaints on this and might have a standing rule to just give the points to anyone that makes an issue of it.

I have not had a problem so far with my 2 problems - resolved also with email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.