Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Free night can't even be used for a 24,000 point stay?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2021, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Chase Free night can't even be used for a 24,000 point stay?

I tried called IHG customer service to move a stay I booked using the Chase Free Night by a few days. Before calling I noted there was plenty of availability at 24,000 points, and the free night is supposedly good for 40,000 points. They tell me that even though there is 24,000 point night availability, I can't book it with the Chase Free Night because being under 40,000 points and being able to use the anniversary night for it is not the same. Is this actually correct? It's not expressed anywhere in the terms and conditions that there is a separate requirement than just the points rate.

Last edited by flyerfirsts; Oct 22, 2021 at 4:46 pm
Old Oct 22, 2021, 7:19 pm

Can you book a single night reservation on points at that hotel?
I had a similar situation with a hotel. It turned out that the hotel required a minimum of 3 night stay during the dates I wanted.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it ended up just taking talking to four different phone reps before finding one who knew how to do her job.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Mr and Mrs smith?​​​​
Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbd456
Mr and Mrs smith?​​​​
Nope, Montreal IC
Old Oct 23, 2021, 8:06 am

Why didn't you just do it online? I've moved plenty of free night stays simply by modifying the reservation online. Unless you were within the cancellation window or some other issue?
Old Oct 23, 2021, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Why didn't you just do it online? I've moved plenty of free night stays simply by modifying the reservation online. Unless you were within the cancellation window or some other issue?
The website gave me the option to cancel, but said to call to modify, so I was only following orders.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 8:16 am

Hm, that's strange. If you were outside of cancellation window, I would have just cancelled and rebooked. The certs get instantly redeposited in my experience.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Hm, that's strange. If you were outside of cancellation window, I would have just cancelled and rebooked. The certs get instantly redeposited in my experience.
Yeah, I learned that from the 4th phone rep, but the website gave me a cancel button but said call to modify, so I figured I'll call since I'm modifying. I later learned it redeposits instantly, and that would have been the way to do it.
sobore and SanDiego1K like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:26 am

24K Points Rooms Available But Not Free Chase Night?

Recently searched to use my chase free night cert and found hotel offering points rooms at 24K but not offering chase free night rooms. Called IHG support as per the webpage result and all they could do was suggest to try again after a month to see if the chase free night rate had been loaded by the hotel. Why would points rates be available but not chase free night rates? Is there something about the chase free night award that is less appealing to a hotel than a points rate?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by dldkjones
Recently searched to use my chase free night cert and found hotel offering points rooms at 24K but not offering chase free night rooms. Called IHG support as per the webpage result and all they could do was suggest to try again after a month to see if the chase free night rate had been loaded by the hotel. Why would points rates be available but not chase free night rates? Is there something about the chase free night award that is less appealing to a hotel than a points rate?
there is a certain crown plaza in London that never has Chase nights available despite the number of points required for that day. The two types of awards must be treated differently somehow.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by dldkjones
It is crazy but they treat free chase nights different from points nights. So even if there is availably for sub 40k points, you may be unable to use the free certificate.

The other annoying issue is when some properties require >1 nights for any booking. I was trying to book 3 nights with the hope of using points and/or cash for two nights and the Chase Free night for one night. Called IHG support and they told me that because the free night cert would be a separate and since the property requires >1 night, I would be unable to use the free night certificate. It did not matter that I was booking two consecutive nights with cash/points following the cert night.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Loyalty programs are largely unregulated, and IHG can mostly do what it wants. But the same is not true for credit cards - those are heavily regulated, and the Chase free night is a credit card benefit.

Here's what Chase says on the card application site:

Anniversary Night
Anniversary Night will be available for redemption on your account anniversary date each year. "Account anniversary open date" is the date that is twelve months after your account open date, and the same date each twelve months thereafter. Anniversary Night is valid at IHG® Hotels with a current point redemption level of 40,000 points or less, and must be redeemed, and stay must be completed, within 12 months from date of issue. Anniversary Night is valid at IHG® hotels with current point redemption level of 40,000 points or less (covers one standard room night and tax only). Visit ihg.com to view current redemption levels. You are responsible for all incidental charges such as parking fees, and payment of mandatory resort fees at properties where resort fees are charged. Rooms are limited, subject to prior sale and availability of allocated resources and may be unavailable during high demand periods. All reservations that will utilize the Anniversary Night can be booked online at ihg.com or by calling IHG® Rewards Club at 1-877-318-5890. Anniversary Night may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, redeemed for cash, or re-credited for points. Individual hotel's cancellation policy applies to the use of the Anniversary Night. Cancellation fees apply if cancellation is made outside of the hotel's cancellation time period. Anniversary Night rules and regulations are subject to change. To receive Anniversary Night communications, members must maintain a valid email address in the IHG Rewards Club member profile and opt in to receive IHG® Rewards Club e-communications. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment. Chase may close your credit card account or suspend your right to use your credit card account, at any time for any reason, including account inactivity.
Bolding mine. There's no other exclusions, and no indication that some <= 40K nights may not be redeemable.

If a single night is available on points but not with the cert, I'd escalate to a supervisor, and if that fails, then file a complaint with the CPFB.
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
happychic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.