Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you earn points with a Costco Travel booking?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Club
Can you earn points with a Costco Travel booking?

Anyone know if you can earn points or associate a stay to your IHG profile with a booking via Costco Travel?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I don’t know about Costco but normally when booking through an agency neither status or points work
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's quite clear in the T&Cs

19 Points will be awarded for Qualifying Stays booked through IHG’s central reservation offices, IHG web sites, the IHG App, authorised travel agents (excluding online travel agents such as Expedia.com and Booking.com, and unauthorised agents on online vertical travel portals), or directly at the hotel.
The bolding and italics are as per the website not mine

https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...care/member-tc
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It's quite clear in the T&Cs

The bolding and italics are as per the website not mine

https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...care/member-tc
Yeah, I just thought Costco qualifies as an authorized travel agent.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well if they are authorised then yes you would earn points / get status benefits etc

I think the quickest way to see if they authorised would be to ask Cosco Travel themselves. What does it say on their website for example?

Is there a reason for booking via them rather than direct? Additional discount etc (just asking out of interest)
Old Apr 1, 2021, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Well if they are authorised then yes you would earn points / get status benefits etc

I think the quickest way to see if they authorised would be to ask Cosco Travel themselves. What does it say on their website for example?

Is there a reason for booking via them rather than direct? Additional discount etc (just asking out of interest)
I'll look on their site. I booked with them because it was part of a package and the flight was free and hotel discounted.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

For the record you DO earn IHG points thru Costco Travel when booking room only. From their website: https://www.costcotravel.com/Hotels/ihg

IHG® Hotels & Resorts

• 15 hotel brands with locations across the world
  • Costco Member savings
  • IHG® Rewards Club members earn points when booking room-only reservations direct through Costco Travel
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s good to know as most travel agency bookings don’t allow you to earn hotel points (not just IHG it’s the same with other hotel schemes as well).

I’d note the qualifier about earning being on room only bookings whereas you appear to have a package even if the flight is free.

I’ve just remembered that if you have the IHG booking confirmation number from your Costco booking (or if not see if they can give it to you) you can connect it to your IHG account and once it does that it should show the estimated points you’d earn.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 8:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
For the record you DO earn IHG points thru Costco Travel when booking room only.
My recollection is that when I tried to use Costco Travel about two months ago, it would not allow me to reserve room only. (I forget the details, but it was something like I would make a selection indicating room only and would be returned to the Costco Travel home page.) Customer Service desk disavowed all knowledge of Costco Travel, so that was a dead end.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serpens
My recollection is that when I tried to use Costco Travel about two months ago, it would not allow me to reserve room only. (I forget the details, but it was something like I would make a selection indicating room only and would be returned to the Costco Travel home page.) Customer Service desk disavowed all knowledge of Costco Travel, so that was a dead end.
Doing a quick dummy booking I find it easy to do hotel only there's a tab that says hotels and just keep the "flying from" box unchecked.

https://www.costcotravel.com/h=4006
Old Apr 2, 2021, 8:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Doing a quick dummy booking I find it easy to do hotel only
I'm glad it worked for you. Someday, I'll try again, but I spent a long time trying to make it work back then.

I do wish I knew if Costco Travel fixed something or it was my end being wonky. But I'll wait until I actually have a reservation to make.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serpens
I'm glad it worked for you. Someday, I'll try again, but I spent a long time trying to make it work back then.

I do wish I knew if Costco Travel fixed something or it was my end being wonky. But I'll wait until I actually have a reservation to make.
How long ago was this? I remember their website being BAAAAAAD a few years ago but they've really stepped it up. Let us know if/when you do book with them.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For the record you DO earn IHG points thru Costco Travel when booking room only. From their website: https://www.costcotravel.com/Hotels/ihg

IHG® Hotels & Resorts

• 15 hotel brands with locations across the world
  • Costco Member savings
  • IHG® Rewards Club members earn points when booking room-only reservations direct through Costco Travel
This seems to suggest that Costco hotel-only bookings can earn points but not elite qualifying nights. In addition, they probably wouldn't count for any night or stay based promos or status challenges.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

How long ago was this?
I would guess two months, but it was sometime this calendar year.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:22 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Yes, I have done this multiple times. If you are unable to link to your account ahead of time, simply ask that your account number be added at check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.