What program if not IHG?

Old Mar 28, 2021, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

What program if not IHG?

I have been primarily with IHG’s program for nearly 20 years. It’s always worked well for the places I travel to for work which is outside of many major cities. I’ve certainly taken advantage of my share of Points Breaks overs the years. Post-Covid, I have a chance to switch jobs that will have me travel to larger cities only. With that, comes the opportunity to explore new rewards programs. My secondary program has been with Best Western. I am currently Spire with IHG. I had Diamond with BW but I think that’s now lowered to Platinum.

With the change in IHG variable redemption points policy, I’m thinking now’s the time to switch allegiances. Points accumulation is important to help pay for personal vacations with a global footprint. I wish IHG had a lifetime member policy. Do any others have one? How long would it take to achieve that? I figure I have about 10 years left of work travel give or take, with about 75-80 paid nights a year not including personal travel. I don’t need room upgrades although I wouldn’t turn one down. Late checkout and early checkin are only useful to me for personal international travel so nice to have but still down the priority list. Because it’s mostly work travel, stuff like free breakfasts and lounge access are also down the list. I guess my main priorities are points accumulation (and corresponding redemption rate % or value), and lifetime membership if possible.

Last edited by db1234db1234; Mar 28, 2021 at 11:02 pm
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:03 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Sounds like the Marriott program is in your future. 10 years of PLT or better and 600 nights gets you LT PLT, which is pretty good. Their IT has its problems, but not to the extent that IHG usually has shown in the past, though they have been better lately. You can keep your Spire every year whether you stay at IHG or not, simply by paying the $200 annually (in December preferably) for AMB. Or Hyatt, though you would need $200,000 total lifetime spend for LT Globalist. Hyatt is the better chain and program, but check each to see which one works for you. Hilton-ehhh just boring properties but everywhere, and easy to get Diamond. High burn but low earn program, but there are some ways to improve it.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
IHG is not a bad place to be if you don't care about elite benefits such as breakfast or lounge access.

The earn/burn ratio at each hotel chain is heavily dependent on the types of hotels you want to spend your points at. If you want short vacations at serious high-end resorts (that you would never pay cash for but still "value" highly), then Marriott is probably the chain for you. It also has a lifetime Platinum that is relatively achievable at 10 Platinum years and 600 nights. But at the mid to lower end, it can be a bit harder to find value out of Marriott points.

Hyatt is also a possibility. Globalist is the best elite status available, and the earn/burn ratio with Hyatt is excellent IMO. Lifetime Globalist is much harder to achieve as it requires $200k of spend on room rates, but if your employer has you staying in expensive cities like NY, SF, etc. then you will get there in no time, without having to spend $200k out of your own pocket like some of us...

Hilton is the weakest on earn/burn, but you can do OK if you sign up for the credit cards and remain Diamond, etc. Hilton benefits are underwhelming but generally delivered (breakfast, lounge access, etc.)
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Ill take a look at the Marriott program. I know for sure that will work in many of the cities I will travel to. I wont get $200k in spending in the years I have left for Hyatt. Maybe half of that so not even close. I may even stick with IHG as Ive been more than happy with their global footprint for redemptions.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Based just on the footprint, Hilton and Marriott really are the only chains that would seem to fit your needs. You're interested in finding a program with a good earn/burn rate, but really, with the get the 4th night free benefit of the IHG Mastercard, it's going to be hard to find any program that is going to have a better earn/burn rate than IHG.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Hyatt's redemption rates are so much better. And frankly, I'll nearly always take a Hyatt over a competing brand if the price is comparable. I prefer their product. So that would play into it if I were in your position.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
What cities do you mostly travel to when you say global? You seem to indicate there are some frequent ones? If Hyatt is in those specific areas it may be your best bet for the reasons people mention, especially early check in and late check out. You'd easily earn Globalist every year. But if Hyatt isn't in cities you need, it wouldn't be as great. You also could double up. If you use a credit card for one, say Hilton Amex Surpass which gets you Gold for example, you could carry both Hyatt and Hilton and that could cover you.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional replies everyone.

After doing some further checking, Marriott and Hilton certainly are available in the locations I’d frequent for work travel within North America. Hyatt not so much so I can rule them out which is a shame because I loved my stays at the Hyatt Regency and Grand Hyatt at DFW.

For personal travel, just the traditional touristy spots like London, Paris and Rome. In Asia, Tokyo, Singapore, Shanghai. Dubai in the Middle East. In North America, virtually any city big and small is on the possibilities list.

I am leaning towards Marriott but will also look at Hilton. I also may just stick with what I’m familiar with in IHG. I really have no complaints with IHG (well, I could use PB back even at 15k). Just want to see what’s on the other side. Thanks everyone.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Marriott will be by far the best option. IHG status is very easy to obtain--especially if you book a few points packages. I have stayed 4 nights so far this year with points packages plus a little credit card spend and already have 53,000 status points with IHG. Worst case scenario you can just get the credit card and have Platinum status. You don't gain much with Spire. Aspirational rewards during retirement with Marriott are far superior as they have a lot more luxury properties. You can also transfer points out to various airline programs. When you are travelling for leisure in retirement, having access to club lounges and suite upgrades is also a nice perk.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Marriott will be by far the best option. IHG status is very easy to obtain--especially if you book a few points packages. I have stayed 4 nights so far this year with points packages plus a little credit card spend and already have 53,000 status points with IHG. Worst case scenario you can just get the credit card and have Platinum status. You don't gain much with Spire. Aspirational rewards during retirement with Marriott are far superior as they have a lot more luxury properties. You can also transfer points out to various airline programs. When you are travelling for leisure in retirement, having access to club lounges and suite upgrades is also a nice perk.
Fair points sfozrhco. Yes, although free breakfast isnt critical on a work expensed trip, Id certainly want it on vacation or in retirement.

The IHG credit card is not available where I live.

One other thing is family members that I travel with and meet up with are fully entrenched in the IHG program. Theyre not switching programs at their stages. Not a huge biggie right now as thats only say 1 trip per year but I can see that increasing during retirement.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I use Marriott as my primary program and IHG as my secondary program. I also dabbled with Hilton for a short period of time many years ago when they were running an unusually good promotion. In general I find Hilton earn/burn ratio is relatively poor. While the footprint is fine and the properties themselves are generally fine too, I haven't felt compelled to try Hilton again. For Marriott, I spent enough years with them as my only program that I earned lifetime titanium. So I never have to worry about status with Marriott. For IHG, I am a "credit card" platinum.

HIX'es have been good for road side stays and also for some stays near national parks. Kimpton is more upscale and nice for city stays. IC footprint is very limited and old school stuffy isn't my cup of tea anyway. Staybridge is generally okay as well. Holiday Inn is very mixed, CP (at least in the US) is an avoid unless you know the specific property is good, and Candlewood Suites is even worse than CP. So distilling it down for me IHG is mainly about HIX and Kimpton. I find that useful enough to be worthwhile. HIX especially complements Marriott well in less populace areas though Marriott is catching up.

While there are also some bad properties in Marriott, overall Marriott quality level is better and more consistent. For resort properties, I find Marriott to have much better options. The Holiday Inn resort properties tend to be very old and run down (at least in my limited experience).

I haven't done much international travel though hope to do so when I retire. I think both IHG and Marriott will be useful for it.

Anyway back to you situation, I recommend trying Marriott for a year or two. If you like it, 10 years will be enough to earn lifetime platinum. It is currently the highest lifetime level you can earn. Lifetime titanium was only available for a short period of time when they were merging the Marriott and SPG programs. Lifetime platinum is still enough to get you free lounge access and complimentary breakfast. If you decide to try Marriott, look into if a Marriott credit card is available in your region. I am not well versed in their credit card offerings outside of the US; however, I believe at least some other regions also have one available that gets you some elite night credits per year.

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Mar 30, 2021 at 1:18 pm
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Anyway back to you situation, I recommend trying Marriott for a year or two. If you like it, 10 years will be enough to earn lifetime platinum. It is currently the highest lifetime level you can earn. Lifetime titanium was only available for a short period of time when they were merging the Marriott and SPG programs. Lifetime platinum is still enough to get you free lounge access and complimentary breakfast. If you decide to try Marriott, look into if a Marriott credit card is available in your region. I am not well versed in their credit card offerings outside of the US; however, I believe at least some other regions also have one available that gets you some elite night credits per year.

--Jon
Thank you for your insights. Lifetime status is definitely a main goal but I have to balance it out now with family members still with IHG. I may try Marriott out for a year as suggested. Really no harm in losing a few nights with IHG. I probably will still have enough to retain Plat status with rollover nights included for this year.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 4:48 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rbAA
Sounds like the Marriott program is in your future. 10 years of PLT or better and 600 nights gets you LT PLT, which is pretty good. Their IT has its problems, but not to the extent that IHG usually has shown in the past, though they have been better lately. You can keep your Spire every year whether you stay at IHG or not, simply by paying the $200 annually (in December preferably) for AMB. Or Hyatt, though you would need $200,000 total lifetime spend for LT Globalist. Hyatt is the better chain and program, but check each to see which one works for you. Hilton-ehhh just boring properties but everywhere, and easy to get Diamond. High burn but low earn program, but there are some ways to improve it.

Sorry to wonder OT a little bit.

I have been Spire for a couple of years now. Although, it certainly is not the most useful status I have I certainly would consider keeping it for 200 dollars a year. (I am not under 5/24 and don't have the Chase card, so platinum through that route won't work for me fwiw)

Could you elaborate on how joining/renewing Ambassador can help lock in a status level?

Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin

I have been Spire for a couple of years now. Although, it certainly is not the most useful status I have I certainly would consider keeping it for 200 dollars a year. (I am not under 5/24 and don't have the Chase card, so platinum through that route won't work for me fwiw)

Could you elaborate on how joining/renewing Ambassador can help lock in a status level?

Thanks.
Actually it's one of the "perks" associated with Ambassador membership. However, you won't be getting Spire though. You can purchase Ambassador membership for 200$ and as a benefit, you will be entitled to IHG Platinum status.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin

Thanks.
It's a quirk in IHG's system rather than a stated benefit, but they've let that quirk run on for years despite many other program changes- while the stated benefit for Ambassador is Platinum status at all properties, if you already have Spire status, then getting Ambassador will keep you at Spire for the length of the Ambassador membership even when you'd otherwise drop below that due to lack of stays/spend.

At some point, IHG may very well change this without notice, but it was still working two weeks ago when I did my Ambassador renewal.
db1234db1234 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.