Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Guaranteed room availability" - a joke of a perk!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2021, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Bonvoy BWRewards HH
"Guaranteed room availability" - a joke of a perk!

We all work hard to achieve advanced status in hotel programs. IHG's "Guaranteed room availability", as part of Platinum Elite is a complete farce. Why? Because of this footnote to the benefit: "...except during special events that result in extraordinary demand, as determined solely by the hotel." I was told a certain property couldn't meet the Guaranteed room availability because of a hockey tournament in the city. Seriously? So any request for Guaranteed room availability can be met with a lame excuse by the property. They don't have to list those "special events" on their hotel website, and there is no limit to the number of such special event nights in a calendar year. Which renders the IHG perk meaningless and shallow. Shame on you, IHG. Marriott Bonvoy would never pull such a stunt.
Trekor likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by davidburton2021
We all work hard to achieve advanced status in hotel programs. IHG's "Guaranteed room availability", as part of Platinum Elite is a complete farce. Why? Because of this footnote to the benefit: "...except during special events that result in extraordinary demand, as determined solely by the hotel." I was told a certain property couldn't meet the Guaranteed room availability because of a hockey tournament in the city. Seriously? So any request for Guaranteed room availability can be met with a lame excuse by the property. They don't have to list those "special events" on their hotel website, and there is no limit to the number of such special event nights in a calendar year. Which renders the IHG perk meaningless and shallow. Shame on you, IHG. Marriott Bonvoy would never pull such a stunt.
Welcome to FT!

They all do this. Every 'benefit' is subject to a lot of things beyond your, or (apparently) the hotel's, control. Nothing new here.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Some perks are more meaningful than others. And some perks are just shams, sadly. (Like the one I wrote about above.) A great hotel program makes up for an inability to meet a customer's expectations via another solution. While the mediocre programs are content to say, "No can do" and just leave a customer flat.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Meh - Whether it's a hockey tournament or jai alai, it makes no difference.

No property is going to boot people out of a major event for a middling spend individual.

If you can find a program which better suits your needs, I would grab it.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Who said I was a middling spend? ;-)
detailsmatter likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Marriott Bonvoy would never pull such a stunt.
Yes it would.
Often1, Adam1222 and jn in ca like this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Feb 13, 2021 at 12:52 am
Old Feb 12, 2021, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Who said I was a middling spend? ;-)
Your status puts you right in the middle of what the program values.

Looking at it another way, if that 50 nights per year is at an average of $500 per room night, that is an annual spend of $25K. "Middling."
Old Feb 13, 2021, 12:18 am

Marriott Bonvoy would never pull such a stunt.
As UKTravelBear notes, Marriott has essentially the same restrictions. From the Marriott Terms and Conditions:

"Forty-eight (48) Hour Guaranteed Availability may not be available on certain limited dates (e.g., special events)."
Source (Section 4.3.d.ii): https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi
Old Feb 13, 2021, 2:06 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Next thread, when Op finds out the room costs rack rate.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Next thread, when Op finds out the room costs rack rate.
Yep, probably better them better coming back and saying they can't accommodate you and being honest than simply saying yes we will provide a room but it will be at rack or something ridiculous like 1500% of the regular rates in order for you to be so repelled at the asking price you don't bother.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 2:48 am

Guaranteed room availability*.

​* Except when no rooms are available.

Basically sums up this perk. But that is not only IHG. People in marketing have a weird understanding of “guaranteed ".
Graf von B likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 4:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 336
Guaranteed room availability*.

​* Except when no rooms are available.

Basically sums up this perk. But that is not only IHG. People in marketing have a weird understanding of “guaranteed ".
I agree that a qualified ‘guarantee’ really isn’t one, but to fulfil this pledge, the hotel would, in theory, never be able to take regular guests, and be built with the number of rooms equalling the number of status holders to whom the guarantee has been extended.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I tried the availability "guarantee" only once in my 14-year RA history. It involved two nights in the middle of a one-week stay. They offered a room but at a rate so extreme I held my nose and shifted the stay to a Hilton.

The only IHG guarantee that worked hitch-free was the extended check-in/out times. Check-in was then set at 8am, but I never had a problem rocking up much earlier.

I think the "guaranteed" time limits have shortened, and i understand there's some sort of silliness where hotels can buy themselves out of the obligation with a $20 adjustment to the bill.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 11:26 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I wouldn't say the grass is any greener at Marriott.

I have tried to use that benefit a couple of times and been denied both times.

When places are that high demand for a big event its not like they simply bring more hotel rooms online.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.