Hotel X Brisbane, Australia - New IHG Brand?

Old Feb 8, 21, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Spire Elite
Hotel X Brisbane, Australia - New IHG Brand?

Is this yet another brand for IHG or a placeholder until a more appropriate IHG brand is selected?

The Hotel Indigo Brisbane Fortitude Valley (Australia) was first announced back in 2016 with the property originally slated to open in 2020 as Australia's first Hotel Indigo. This title has now been handed to the Hotel Indigo Adelaide Markets slated to open on 1 March.

Due to COVID-19 the launch of the Hotel Indigo Brisbane Fortitude Valley was delayed until later this month, with bookings open for stays commencing 22 February. Interestingly the property will remain under the IHG banner but will no longer launch as the Hotel Indigo Brisbane Fortitude Valley, instead the property will launch as Hotel X Brisbane.

An article in today's edition of the TravelDaily publication (an Australian-based subscriber only publication) mentions that the property and final product offering was more luxurious than IHG first anticipated and as a result no longer fitted within the "mould" of a Hotel Indigo, as a result IHG recommended to the property owner a change of brand.

Hotel website - www.hotelx.com.au.

You have to wonder what brand would be most appropriate, Kimpton? Perhaps this property will stay as an independent brand (under the IHG banner) until expiry of IHG's hotel management rights contract? Or potentially yet another brand for IHG?
Old Feb 9, 21, 8:02 pm
jxd

Programs: HHonors gold
Imo this property would fit in perfectly as a kimpton.
Old Feb 10, 21, 8:53 am

I get it, too high end modern 'luxury' for an Indigo but not design led or quirky enough for a Kimpton. Surely this has voco written all over it?
dw likes this.
Old Feb 10, 21, 9:16 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by residentx View Post
I get it, too high end modern 'luxury' for an Indigo but not design led or quirky enough for a Kimpton. Surely this has voco written all over it?
I thought the same thing-- with the exception of the recent conversions (like all the UK ones), most new Kimptons have been new builds or renovations, and they mostly have a similar design aesthetic, which this property does not share. To be honest, I'm not really sure where this could be slotted into IHG's portfolio.
Old Feb 10, 21, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*
I have seen Hotel X occasionally when I do a search. That usually means a new hotel yet to be branded, or an existing property in the process of being rebranded. I asked the same question a while ago when I first saw it in search results.
Old Feb 10, 21, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Searching on the address [458 Brunswick Street] this comes up--->https://www.pointcorp.com.au/projects/hotelindigo/
But the final brand may be different
Old Feb 11, 21, 1:32 am

It's really weird they have dropped the Indigo branding in the last few days but are staying with IHG.

I would love to know what the real story is.
Old Feb 11, 21, 10:49 am

Similar situation to the XO in Amsterdam which has never had a brand attached to it.

The above is an amazing hotel, easily up to Kimpton standards.
Old Feb 11, 21, 12:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by oxfordjames View Post
Similar situation to the XO in Amsterdam which has never had a brand attached to it.

Q0 was meant to be a Kimpton but the other opened before it and they switched path.

perhaps it will become a Kimpton eventually.
oxfordjames likes this.

Last edited by TGLoyalty; Feb 14, 21 at 2:28 am
Old Feb 11, 21, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
You both mean the 'QO' in Amsterdam not the 'XO'

XO is a completly different chain unconnected to IHG.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Feb 11, 21, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
You both mean the 'QO' in Amsterdam not the 'XO'

XO is a completly different chain unconnected to IHG.
That will be the one...

Maybe why this hotel is X, Starwood choose W.... Gets way to confusing with two letters
Old Feb 12, 21, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by oxfordjames View Post

I agree its a beautiful hotel, but as Kimpton were trying to achieve a flagship for their brand in Europe the Kimpton De Witt feels more Dutch and bohemian. I can see the decision they made, but perhaps as Kimpton becomes more widespread it will join.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: