What to Do with 18k IHG Points

Old Jan 23, 21, 8:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

What to Do with 18k IHG Points

Well, 18k is not a lot. Probably not enough to book a single room stay. I already cancelled my IHG CC. Chase controls the only IHG CC. Only Chase UR can be transferred to IHG and the transfer rate is bad.

I called IHG to see if I can transfer out or transfer in some points to make one redemption. Rep said the only option is to buy some IHG points. Or use points + cash to book stay.

In the family, we do have one IHG card that we have been thinking of cancelling. The 40k FN is awful and can't compare with the old FN. We plan to burn the remaining IHG points and cancel the CC after that.

Not sure if I can redeem the 18k points for anything. Or donate them?

There are great IHG properties. But IHG points are just so inflexible.
Old Jan 24, 21, 12:46 am

I have stayed at some really nice brand new Holiday Inn Expresses for 12,500 points
RedSun, DavidDTW, Brendan and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 21, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Save them until one day you need a cheap HIX. There's no rush to burn points sub-optimally just because you've decided to cancel a credit card.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 24, 21, 6:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Save them until one day you need a cheap HIX. There's no rush to burn points sub-optimally just because you've decided to cancel a credit card.
True. But IHG's 12-month expiration does not help.
Old Jan 24, 21, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Marriott15 View Post
I have stayed at some really nice brand new Holiday Inn Expresses for 12,500 points
Yep. Same for some of their other brands. We recently took a trip where we stayed at several HIXs and Staybridge Suites for between 12,500 and 17,500 points per night.
Old Jan 24, 21, 8:41 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
You could book a hotel stay on points that is 17,500 or if you can't find a desirable property at that price point many nicer properties have the points + cash rate; for example you may find a property that regularly costs 30,000 points or so offering a rate of 17,500 + $70 or something like that; sure not free but $70 for a nicer hotel like kimpton is still not that bad of a deal. And while I hear your rant about the older credit card free night, I still think most will agree even the new $89 annual fee one is still a good deal! $89 for a free night isn't bad...yeah sure it's not unrestricted, can't use it for $1000 room in Bora Bora, but there are many regular priced $200-$300 hotels out there where the certificate can be used. IMHO paying $89 for a $200-300 room is a good deal, and not to mention the 10% rebate which for me gives back easily 50,000 points each year
RedSun and Brendan like this.
Old Jan 24, 21, 11:29 pm

Programs: Free Agent
IHG points normally expire in 12months if no activity. They have paused expiring points until Jun 2021 due to Covid, so you do have a few months to figure out what to do with them. You can consider using C+P to book a nice IHG hotel and use the points to offset the price for a night.
RedSun likes this.
Old Jan 26, 21, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by somedudefromFLa View Post
You could book a hotel stay on points that is 17,500 or if you can't find a desirable property at that price point many nicer properties have the points + cash rate; for example you may find a property that regularly costs 30,000 points or so offering a rate of 17,500 + $70 or something like that; sure not free but $70 for a nicer hotel like kimpton is still not that bad of a deal. And while I hear your rant about the older credit card free night, I still think most will agree even the new $89 annual fee one is still a good deal! $89 for a free night isn't bad...yeah sure it's not unrestricted, can't use it for $1000 room in Bora Bora, but there are many regular priced $200-$300 hotels out there where the certificate can be used. IMHO paying $89 for a $200-300 room is a good deal, and not to mention the 10% rebate which for me gives back easily 50,000 points each year

what 10% rebate??? Is this on an older version of the card or a perk I am over looking?? I have ihg premier with $89 annual fee and donít see anything about a 10% rebate. Thanks
Old Jan 27, 21, 12:10 am

Programs: A3, AA, DL, HH, SK, SPG, UA
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
True. But IHG's 12-month expiration does not help.
Well, if you had kept your CC, you wouldn't have had to worry about the expiration... IMHO, if 18k isn't enough for a redemption, just wait for a 100% bonus points offer to top up your account balance.
Originally Posted by I3CuBeD View Post
what 10% rebate??? Is this on an older version of the card or a perk I am over looking?? I have ihg premier with $89 annual fee and donít see anything about a 10% rebate. Thanks
The old IHG Select card ($49) has/had a 10% rebate on redemptions, but it's been closed to new applications since the Premier card's launch. Lots of people (especially on FT) have both the Select and the Premier and stack the benefits.
Old Jan 27, 21, 6:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tennen View Post
Well, if you had kept your CC, you wouldn't have had to worry about the expiration... IMHO, if 18k isn't enough for a redemption, just wait for a 100% bonus points offer to top up your account balance.

The old IHG Select card ($49) has/had a 10% rebate on redemptions, but it's been closed to new applications since the Premier card's launch. Lots of people (especially on FT) have both the Select and the Premier and stack the benefits.
Because of the inflexibility of IHG reward program, I've decided to cut the relationship. No point to keep all 4 or 5 hotel relationship. We would certainly remain if the FN was still unlimited. Now just not worth the trouble to find a single night at 40k level.

Sure the AF is worth that single FN. But it is much easier to stack several Marriott and Hyatt FNs together for the same trip.
Old Jan 27, 21, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS MVPG 75K, AA Plat, DL Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, IHG Plat, HZ PC, AMEX Plat, CLEAR
There is no point expiration for elite members or cardholders, unless I am mistaken.

I mainly stay with IHG for airport one nighters in Asia and Europe.

I have a variety of reasons for maintaining loyalty to different programs.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 27, 21, 10:15 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by I3CuBeD View Post
There are two cards: the newer one gives 4th night free on point stay & the older one just gives a 10% rebate on all points stays ( e.g. if you book a 40,000 point stay they'll charge you 40,000 points when book but then after stay they'll give you 4,000 points back as a rebate so really only cost 36,000 ).
Old Jan 28, 21, 11:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Guate87 View Post
There is no point expiration for elite members or cardholders, unless I am mistaken.
Even if you got expiration due to lack of status or card, it's merely takes an annual entry in your digital calendar to remind you to purchase an ebook for a few IHG points. It takes 60s and extends points for another year.
Old Jan 28, 21, 1:10 pm

Programs: A3, AA, DL, HH, SK, SPG, UA
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Because of the inflexibility of IHG reward program, I've decided to cut the relationship. No point to keep all 4 or 5 hotel relationship. We would certainly remain if the FN was still unlimited. Now just not worth the trouble to find a single night at 40k level.

Sure the AF is worth that single FN. But it is much easier to stack several Marriott and Hyatt FNs together for the same trip.
How is IHG inflexible? If you're talking about redemption options, IHG is comparable to others. Obviously, you get the best value out of reward stays, but if you're desperate and don't care about horrible value, you can donate them, use them for gift cards, buy magazines/e-books, or exchange them for miles.

FWIW, since the pandemic started, a lot of IHG hotels have reduced their points requirements, so at least temporarily, the 40k cap isn't much of an issue. For my expiring free night, I checked for staycation options and, out of curiosity, for my cancelled 2020 hotels. Virtually all went down - 20-35k HIXs/Staybridges were 10-20k, 40k Indigos were 20k, and even the 70k ICs and Kimptons were 40k. Yeah, if you want to combine your free night(s) to create a multi-night stay, you have to book a new reservation. But, it's never been an issue to link reservations or stay in the same room.

Sorry that IHG doesn't work for you. For all its quirks and shortcomings, IHG's free nights and points are pretty easy to use (at least for me). Personally, I feel that Marriott 35k certificates are significantly harder to use. YMMV.
Old Jan 28, 21, 1:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tennen View Post
How is IHG inflexible? If you're talking about redemption options, IHG is comparable to others. Obviously, you get the best value out of reward stays, but if you're desperate and don't care about horrible value, you can donate them, use them for gift cards, buy magazines/e-books, or exchange them for miles.

Sorry that IHG doesn't work for you. For all its quirks and shortcomings, IHG's free nights and points are pretty easy to use (at least for me). Personally, I feel that Marriott 35k certificates are significantly harder to use. YMMV.
Since you disagree on IHG inflexibility, here they are:

1. 12 month expiration. vs. the 24 months from Hyatt, Marriott and even Radisson
2. Only one credit card that is controlled by Chase, vs multiple Marriott cards by both Chase and AmEx.
3. The killer is that, it is absolutely impossible to transfer points in and out of IHG to any other member, even spouse. Hyatt allows free transfer and Marriott allows point transfer with some limit. I'll have to pay $$ to transfer IHG points. That is really bad.
4. The only way to add transfer points into IHG is through Chase UR. At 1:1, it is a very bad rate.

Hope by now, you know those. As to the IHG 40K FN is easier than Marriott's 35K FN, of course it is YMMV. The footprint of Marriott is much larger than IHG. So I do not know why someone would say the Marriott FN is harder to use than IHG FN.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: