Crowne Plaza Dubai Marina (Master Thread)

Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Crowne Plaza Dubai Marina (Master Thread)

I don't believe there is a thread for this property yet, but it opened earlier this year. I did a quick two-night stay a week or so ago and was fairly impressed. For a Crowne Plaza it's very nicely done, it joins Causeway Bay as probably one of two Crowne Plaza hotels globally I think actually show what the Crowne Plaza brand could be design-wise. Very similar layout actually, with a small footprint in a tall building with limited rooms per floor.

I booked an Executive Suite, which are very large and well-designed, huge living room, great balcony overlooking the Marina, nice bathroom and very comfortable bed. Quality of food was good, particularly the Thai restaurant. Service was generally very good. COVID measures felt reassuring.

Unfortunately, it seems to suffer from the usual IHG stinginess that means I spend 100+ nights with other chains and very few with IHG these days, as a Spire booking the most expensive room in the hotel my status recognition was ... the choice of points or a single drinks voucher (for a room booked for two). No free breakfast, unclear if Executive Lounge access will be offered when it reopens but I'd imagine maybe not. Stiill, probably worth a try if you need to be in the area, sounds like it's a much more modern hotel than some of the other local Crowne Plazas.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Couple of photos below:

s777bg likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:39 pm

Did you have breakfast there? Was breakfast running? Cost and pics? I had originally planned on staying here next spring. Planned on this going back pre Covid so I dont think Ill be going next year but perhaps the year after.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by db1234db1234
Did you have breakfast there? Was breakfast running? Cost and pics? I had originally planned on staying here next spring. Planned on this going back pre Covid so I don’t think I’ll be going next year but perhaps the year after.
Breakfast is still running and I was offered it for AED 95 per person (I assume that's just the standard price). I skipped breakfast on departure day and opted for room service the other day instead given I had to pay for breakfast anyway, but I understand the main restaurant breakfast is all a la carte / brought to table.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Breakfast is still running and I was offered it for AED 95 per person (I assume that's just the standard price). I skipped breakfast on departure day and opted for room service the other day instead given I had to pay for breakfast anyway, but I understand the main restaurant breakfast is all a la carte / brought to table.
Oh nuts. I hope the a la carte menu is just during covid. I like me a good breakfast spread while on holidays.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: NZ
@lost_in_translation - thank you so much for starting this thread and sharing your thoughts on this property. I am looking at staying here in 2021 or 2022.

With regards to elite benefits, you pretty much got what you are entitled to as a Spire Elite. As you booked the top tier suite you couldn't get a room upgrade, which otherwise might have been forthcoming. Breakfast is not an elite benefit with IHG, so no surprise that wasn't offered. I will also be interested to know if lounge access is granted once the lounge re-opens. Some CPs definitely do offer it even though it is not an advertised benefit (that I am aware of).

So far, you haven't said anything to put me off the property . Did you try any local restaurants?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by minz56
So far, you haven't said anything to put me off the property . Did you try any local restaurants?
I have been eyeing this property too, and the Thai restaurant looks good. Thanks for the review.

As for the local area, I am not a big fan of the restaurants. This part of Dubai appeals to European tourists (you see virtually no locals around) but you could be anywhere in the world. Along The Walk nearby there are lower-end chain restaurants. I like Black Tap (at the Rixos) and JB's Gastropub (at the Amwaj Rotana). For one living in Dubai, these among the best of their type in town, though if you are coming from Europe or the U.S. (or a major Asian city for that matter) they are less special. For local fare (Arabic, Indian, Iranian), there are places in the area but none notable in my opinion. You could wander down to the The Beach for a decent environment and sampling of touristy local venues.
minz56 and rumbataz like this.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
Thanks for posting the suite photos as there are none online (clear miss). Thinking between this and the IC Marina. The IC residence suites look rather "plain" with a tiny bedroom.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Thanks for posting the suite photos as there are none online (clear miss). Thinking between this and the IC Marina. The IC residence suites look rather "plain" with a tiny bedroom.
I was thinking the same when I booked, if you care most about space I'd choose the Crowne Plaza, even the Deluxe Suites (category down from Executive Suite) look like they are bigger and better designed than the tiny suites at the IC Marina. IC Marina has a nicer pool area, more restaurants, etc., though.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:17 am

I was thinking the same when I booked, if you care most about space I'd choose the Crowne Plaza, even the Deluxe Suites (category down from Executive Suite) look like they are bigger and better designed than the tiny suites at the IC Marina. IC Marina has a nicer pool area, more restaurants, etc., though.
Awwww.... exec isn't available during my stay, only deluxe. I thought they were the same category at first.

Was there any late night noise from. Pier 7?

Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
....No free breakfast, unclear if Executive Lounge access will be offered when it reopens but I'd imagine maybe not. Stiill, probably worth a try if you need to be in the area, sounds like it's a much more modern hotel than some of the other local Crowne Plazas.
You might imagine that booking an Executive Suite would get you into an Executive Lounge, Spire or not. But this is IHG.

Of the other CPs in the city, even the dodgy Deira one certainly used to give Club access to Plats and above, but they stopped some five years' back, sticking rigidly to the decidedly unimpressive rules set from above.

The Holiday Inn in Riqqa/Deira was more generous, but that was a hotel "special" in many ways, and has parted company with IHG.

I've shifted totally to Hilton Group hotels in Dubai. Diamond usually gets me a decent room upgrade, always gives me breakfast and executive lounge access (were lounges are provided).
yurtripper and NoY like this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 12:13 pm

I took the plunge, used points and took an upsell to a deluxe suite, breakfast included. No clue how many sqm it is.

AED 350 ++ and 15k points per night

4th night free
10% points back
upsell earns 5k points on the Premier Card + about 5k rewards points + about 5k Spire points.... If they offer a Q1 bonus promotion, even better

all in AED 449 + 6.5k points per night

No brainer, right?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Had a great short stay here in between our time at Al Maha and Vommuli. Checked in around 4p and out at 2a for a flight. Since we've been here before, prefer the Marina and JBR area for walking and exploring. Free night stay that was upgraded to a Junior Suite, then swapped over to a Marina View corner room (no balcony). Given the short stay, didn't really matter to us. Everyone was extremely friendly, booked transfer to airport through the hotel and had a great time at the bar ($$$, but drinks were STRONG).

Room was very modern and in great condition. For a longer stay, would definitely love one of the balcony rooms facing the Marina.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: Senator, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold
What perks do they provide for Spire Members? Free Breakfast (in some CP they provide)
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:55 am
wsc

Originally Posted by saaveraward
I took the plunge, used points and took an upsell to a deluxe suite, breakfast included. No clue how many sqm it is.

AED 350 ++ and 15k points per night

4th night free
10% points back
upsell earns 5k points on the Premier Card + about 5k rewards points + about 5k Spire points.... If they offer a Q1 bonus promotion, even better

all in AED 449 + 6.5k points per night

No brainer, right?
Where did you get access to this upsell?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.