Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG variable pricing for points vs cash??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2020, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
IHG variable pricing for points vs cash??

Hello all,I am looking at 3 days in San Diego in June but when I try to book I get the following results

Hotel Indigo 180.32 cash or 25k points daily
intercontinental San Diego 181.00 cash or 45k points daily

Why would the IC be the same cash price but almost double the points?? I think I would prefer the IC but the Indigo reviews well also.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 4:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tilto007
Why would the IC be the same cash price but almost double the points?? I think I would prefer the IC but the Indigo reviews well also.
The IC is likely the more "aspirational" property for those looking to redeem points. Demand for cash rooms =/= demand for award rooms. Just guessing here so cannot advice on which property to choose.

I'd actually consider a positive that redemption rates are not tied as closely to the cash rate as is the case for some other chains like Hilton. It leaves more room for optimization on part of the user. For instance, if you were to go for the Indigo, paying 25k points rather than $180 in cash would be decent value for your points IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.