FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Kimpton or IC in Chicago (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2025317-kimpton-ic-chicago.html)

bimmerfreak0 Sep 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Kimpton or IC in Chicago

With the mass exodus of hotels by IHG in Chicago from that payment thing and me not being to Chicago in the last 10 years, I'm wondering which of the hotels I should pick. Open to suggestions. Stay is Sept 30-Oct 1 and I need a suite with a separate living room for work purposes. I'm torn on which property to pick. Spire but no other status.

UKtravelbear Sep 17, 2020 7:20 pm

The “that payment thing” doesn’t happen until the end of November so you have the full ranger of Kimptons and the IC to chose from.

bimmerfreak0 Sep 17, 2020 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 32683257)
The “that payment thing” doesn’t happen until the end of November so you have the full ranger of Kimptons and the IC to chose from.

I suppose that's my real conflict. Stay at one of the kimptons that are leaving or not.

boekel Sep 18, 2020 2:30 am

Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 (Post 32683269)
I suppose that's my real conflict. Stay at one of the kimptons that are leaving or not.

having stayed the last 5 years several times at the IC as RA I have to say it is/was a good value proposition. However I've realized that they became more and more stingy in respect to upgrades. In order to score a suite as Spire I'm afraid you need to book one there. All suites have a separate living room, though the suite in the executive tower are bigger and nicer, although the furniture is more or less the same (dated) in my opinion.

Parking is ridiculously expensive in case this is also relevant to you, although I can't judge on the pricing at any Kimpton

bimmerfreak0 Sep 18, 2020 6:12 am

Originally Posted by boekel (Post 32683788)
having stayed the last 5 years several times at the IC as RA I have to say it is/was a good value proposition. However I've realized that they became more and more stingy in respect to upgrades. In order to score a suite as Spire I'm afraid you need to book one there. All suites have a separate living room, though the suite in the executive tower are bigger and nicer, although the furniture is more or less the same (dated) in my opinion.

Parking is ridiculously expensive in case this is also relevant to you, although I can't judge on the pricing at any Kimpton

I never assume an upgrade at IHG. If I don't need a suite an upgrade is always nice. But when I need a suite, I do indeed pay for it upfront.

Graf von B Sep 18, 2020 11:34 am

The Monaco and Gray are my two favorite Kimptons in Chicago. The Monaco might have a slight edge now, though, after their refurbish. The window seats in the rooms are so cozy and pleasant.

Overall, Kimptons are pretty generous with upgrades even if you’re not Inner Circle.

DavidDTW Sep 18, 2020 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Graf von B (Post 32684754)
The Monaco and Gray are my two favorite Kimptons in Chicago. The Monaco might have a slight edge now, though, after their refurbish. The window seats in the rooms are so cozy and pleasant.

Overall, Kimptons are pretty generous with upgrades even if you’re not Inner Circle.

I have stayed at the Allegro, Monaco, and Palomar. Onty the Palomar gave me an upgrade, to a one bedroom suite. I am IHG platinum.

BusinessCasualSport Sep 19, 2020 12:52 pm

I've stayed at the Kimpton Grey and Allegro (both leisure). I enjoyed the Allegro more than the Grey. I believe both rooms were upgraded, and the Allegro actually seemed like an upgrade as it had its own seating section (not separate room). The bathroom was super small in the allegro but they have a complimentary shoe shine which I thought was a sweet perk.

The Grey was just a room, nothing special. It didn't have any sports channels on either, might be the same for the Allegro. The shower was one of the showers with the half pane of glass. I dislike taking a hot shower and my ... is still freezing. Not to mention all the water that gets on the ground. They did give me a pint of Jeni's ice cream (pretty well known around chicago) when I inquired about mini bar credit. The front receptionist had mentioned that I was an inner circle (I am not) so that I was entitled to it. I think she said that so I could receive a gift while not drawing attention to herself from her coworkers.

Both hotels will give you a Keurig or Microwave upon request. Both were booked with Spire status. Don't forget to mention the secret code.

I visited a buddy who had a room at the IC, but it was in the 'Grand' tower. It was pretty dated but still nice. I'm staying at the IC tonight booked on points, hoping to score an upgrade to the exec tower.

Tip: If your company is not paying for parking or you are on your own dime, download the app Spothero on your phone and find a garage for half price. No in and out privileges but $20 beats $50+ IMO.

Update: Just checked in while my girlfriend was shopping with her friend and received a 4 category upgrade (that’s what he said) to a King suite. Room was super nice, 2 bathrooms and 2 doorways to the hallway. Unfortunately I was advised by my girlfriend to downgrade to the two bedroom room because we have a visitor. I was going to sleep on the pullout couch, but decided I’d downgrade to avoid any fuss.

bimmerfreak0 Sep 20, 2020 5:06 am

Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport (Post 32687043)
I've stayed at the Kimpton Grey and Allegro (both leisure). I enjoyed the Allegro more than the Grey. I believe both rooms were upgraded, and the Allegro actually seemed like an upgrade as it had its own seating section (not separate room). The bathroom was super small in the allegro but they have a complimentary shoe shine which I thought was a sweet perk.

The Grey was just a room, nothing special. It didn't have any sports channels on either, might be the same for the Allegro. The shower was one of the showers with the half pane of glass. I dislike taking a hot shower and my ... is still freezing. Not to mention all the water that gets on the ground. They did give me a pint of Jeni's ice cream (pretty well known around chicago) when I inquired about mini bar credit. The front receptionist had mentioned that I was an inner circle (I am not) so that I was entitled to it. I think she said that so I could receive a gift while not drawing attention to herself from her coworkers.

Both hotels will give you a Keurig or Microwave upon request. Both were booked with Spire status. Don't forget to mention the secret code.

I visited a buddy who had a room at the IC, but it was in the 'Grand' tower. It was pretty dated but still nice. I'm staying at the IC tonight booked on points, hoping to score an upgrade to the exec tower.

Tip: If your company is not paying for parking or you are on your own dime, download the app Spothero on your phone and find a garage for half price. No in and out privileges but $20 beats $50+ IMO.

Update: Just checked in while my girlfriend was shopping with her friend and received a 4 category upgrade (that’s what he said) to a King suite. Room was super nice, 2 bathrooms and 2 doorways to the hallway. Unfortunately I was advised by my girlfriend to downgrade to the two bedroom room because we have a visitor. I was going to sleep on the pullout couch, but decided I’d downgrade to avoid any fuss.

Second bathroom would be appreciated. I'll do the IC. Thanks for the solid advice.

hikouki Jun 24, 2021 4:13 pm

I have an upcoming Chicago trip in late-August, and my appointment is at a place in South Michigan Ave.
Googlemap shows that the nearest IHG property is the Gray, then the Monaco and last the IC. I won't be bringing a car.
My priority is location, not in terms of how near the hotel is to my appointment but in terms of nearby restaurants and perhaps even shopping.
Thanks for any advice!

BusinessCasualSport Jun 24, 2021 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by hikouki (Post 33354735)
I have an upcoming Chicago trip in late-August, and my appointment is at a place in South Michigan Ave.
Googlemap shows that the nearest IHG property is the Gray, then the Monaco and last the IC. I won't be bringing a car.
My priority is location, not in terms of how near the hotel is to my appointment but in terms of nearby restaurants and perhaps even shopping.
Thanks for any advice!

don't stay at the grey if it is on the weekend. It's in the loop and the loop is pretty quiet on the weekends. If you're a tourist or want the general Chicago experience, stay at the iC. It's on Michigan which is one of the biggest streets downtown.

Never stayed at the Monaco although I did stay at the kimpton allegro before and it was a great stay. The room in the Grey is kind of bland to be honest. There's a lot of good reviews for the Grey here and I just didn't really get it.

hikouki Jun 24, 2021 7:30 pm

I looked at my dates and the IC is much cheaper compared to either of the two Kimpton's.
Is the breakfast at IC worth it? That package is still cheaper than no-breakfast rooms at the two Kimpton's. Is there a nice breakfast cafe near the IC?

DavidDTW Jun 24, 2021 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by hikouki (Post 33355051)
I looked at my dates and the IC is much cheaper compared to either of the two Kimpton's.
Is the breakfast at IC worth it? That package is still cheaper than no-breakfast rooms at the two Kimpton's. Is there a nice breakfast cafe near the IC?

Starbucks is right off the IC lobby. There is a Corner Bakery on Mich Ave just over the bridge. Yolk on State St is about a 10-15 minute walk. I have never eaten breakfast at the IC. Wildberry on Randolph by Millennium Park is really good too, but a little farther from the hotel.

Lenflyer64 Jun 28, 2021 10:20 am

Originally Posted by hikouki (Post 33355051)

Center Court is the restaurant for breakfast at the IC. It is open again and does a la carte only for now. You can see the menu on the IC Chicago website. I heard they aren't sure exactly when they'll open up the buffet again. I've always enjoyed the buffet very much, but it's kind of pricey (but then so is everything in Chicago). I usually got it as a breakfast add on to the room so didn't pay the full $29 per person (plus tax and tip).

Not much breakfast choice by Michigan Ave that I've seen. Yolk is nice, but it has always been crazy busy when I've tried, so I don't try any longer. There is a McDs not too far. ;)

msn bubba Jun 28, 2021 11:42 am

If you are going to Chicago anytime soon, confirm what restaurants are open. My wife just stayed at the Gray last week and said many of the restaurants are still closed and may not reopen. There are many more choices near the IC.