FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   InterContinental Ambassador offer: Enrol, stay once, and receive a Reward Night (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2022670-intercontinental-ambassador-offer-enrol-stay-once-receive-reward-night.html)

Single_Flyer Aug 1, 2020 9:42 pm

InterContinental Ambassador offer: Enrol, stay once, and receive a Reward Night

I didn't see this already posted, but thought I would start a discussion on the new Ambassador promotion. (If it is already posted somewhere else, please feel free to move this, but seems like it deserves its own thread). I received this email:

We invite you to enhance your travels by joining InterContinental® Ambassador with this exceptional offer. Simply enrol in the programme by 31 December 2020 15 November 2020, then stay once at InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton®, or Regent® hotels by 31 January 2021 to receive a Reward Night, in addition to your full suite of Ambassador benefits.

In addition to the exceptional offer above, enjoy these guaranteed Ambassador benefits:
  • Guaranteed room upgrades
  • Extended 4pm checkout
  • IHG® Rewards Club Platinum Elite status
  • A complimentary weekend night at InterContinental Hotels & Resorts and participating Kimpton and Regent hotels
Enrol today for USD200 or 40,000 points.

It seems strange to me that a stay at a Kimpton works for this promotion considering they don't offer Ambassador benefits.

If I already had a stay planned, I would jump on this promotion, but doesn't seem worth it to plan a stay just for this. I don't really see much fo a benefit to Ambassador status. I already have Platinum Elite status through Chase credit card. I also maybe stay at an IC property once a year.

Are you participating in this promotion? Care to share why/why not?

IAN-UK Aug 2, 2020 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer (Post 32575154)
I didn't see this already posted, but thought I would start a discussion on the new Ambassador promotion. (If it is already posted somewhere else, please feel free to move this, but seems like it deserves its own thread). I received this email:

We invite you to enhance your travels by joining InterContinental® Ambassador with this exceptional offer. Simply enrol in the programme by 15 November 2020, then stay once at InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton®, or Regent® hotels by 31 January 2021 to receive a Reward Night, in addition to your full suite of Ambassador benefits.

In addition to the exceptional offer above, enjoy these guaranteed Ambassador benefits:
  • Guaranteed room upgrades
  • Extended 4pm checkout
  • IHG® Rewards Club Platinum Elite status
  • A complimentary weekend night at InterContinental Hotels & Resorts and participating Kimpton and Regent hotels
Enrol today for USD200 or 40,000 points.

It seems strange to me that a stay at a Kimpton works for this promotion considering they don't offer Ambassador benefits.

If I already had a stay planned, I would jump on this promotion, but doesn't seem worth it to plan a stay just for this. I don't really see much fo a benefit to Ambassador status. I already have Platinum Elite status through Chase credit card. I also maybe stay at an IC property once a year.

Are you participating in this promotion? Care to share why/why not?

The headline benefit of Ambassador status is the room upgrade. You can generally leverage a far nicer room than a standard one. Which is good because standard rooms at ICs can be pretty unimpressive. But beware, upgrades can famously be to rooms with a better view etc etc. Bottom line, if you stay at ICs a lot, this benefit is probably worth the investment. If it's only a couple of stays a year, spend the $200 on better rooms......or treat yourself to dinner :)

The almost guaranteed late check-out can also be useful for frequent stays.

Normally the free weekend night attracts attention, but it's not exactly free - you have to book the first night at a more expensive flexible rate.

But this offer gives you an extra really free night, which could easily compensate you for the $200 fee. So, on the surface it could be a good deal, but best to dig under he surface a little.....

.....it's not unknown for IHG to be less than clear in their marketing, so make sure you understand EXACTLY what they mean by "a Reward Night": they don't say "a free-night stay certificate for any Intercontinental hotel", maybe with good reason.

Super Mario Aug 2, 2020 8:21 am

I have found that I generally got fairly decent upgrades with ambassador. Some of the "ambassador check-in" employees are really good at ensuring that. My only problem is that staying at an IC was somewhat rare, so I did not renew my ambassador.

For 40k points and up to a 40k room, I think I may jump back on. Still probably won't stay at a ton of ICs. It was very nice to have once you made it all work.

rbAA Aug 2, 2020 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 32575676)
The headline benefit of Ambassador status is the room upgrade. You can generally leverage a far nicer room than a standard one. Which is good because standard rooms at ICs can be pretty unimpressive. But beware, upgrades can famously be to rooms with a better view etc etc. Bottom line, if you stay at ICs a lot, this benefit is probably worth the investment. If it's only a couple of stays a year, spend the $200 on better rooms......or treat yourself to dinner :)

The almost guaranteed late check-out can also be useful for frequent stays.

Normally the free weekend night attracts attention, but it's not exactly free - you have to book the first night at a more expensive flexible rate..

Actually, the BOGO is always used at the Ambassador Certificate rate using the link to that rate. It's flexible, and usually higher than the lowest rates available, but, just to make things absolutely clear, the first night doesn't have to be higher. In fact the SECOND night is the free night, which usually can be made to work well, i.e. my January stay Fri+Sat at the IC SF, Fri was $160 and Sat was $300 (football playoff game that weekend or some such nonsense.) I was planning on a two night stay in town anyway, so getting the IC was great, as the other SF hotels while OK are not as good IMHO. I didn't get my favorite East Bay view room, but the room was fine for me, with a north view and much of the city and hills. Not bad for $200 all in for 2 nights and the AMB amenity F&B certificate came in handy for some snacks, as I was eating meals with my son and his wife.

So, I find the BOGO (and the 10% rebate on award stays,) to be the value points in AMB, as the UPG as you said, can be an illusion. Oh, and it always extends my Spire another year as well. We'll see how that works in 2021 as I'm extended to 6.21.

minz56 Aug 2, 2020 7:25 pm

Loyalty Lobby is saying that this promotion also applies when renewing Ambassador, but I haven't seen anything from IHG about this. The IHG T&C's in the LL post defnitely mentions renewals, but I am just wondering if anyone has any further insight on this.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/07/31/...ember-15-2020/

soitgoes Aug 2, 2020 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by minz56 (Post 32577092)
Loyalty Lobby is saying that this promotion also applies when renewing Ambassador,

My membership expires September 1 and I received the offer over email.

With your InterContinental® Ambassador membership expiring on 1 September 2020, we invite you to take advantage of an exclusive renewal offer.

Renew by 1 September 2020, then stay once at InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton®, or Regent® hotels by 31 January 2021 to receive a Reward Night,* in addition to your full suite of traditional Ambassador benefits.

We're excited to announce the extension of Ambassador at Kimpton and Regent hotels.** Until 31 December 2021, your membership affords you the following exclusive experiences:

Your Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night† can now be redeemed at Kimpton and Regent hotels globally – any day of the week
Ambassador benefit recognition at Regent hotels

IAN-UK Aug 3, 2020 3:13 am

Originally Posted by rbAA (Post 32577034)
Actually, the BOGO is always used at the Ambassador Certificate rate using the link to that rate. It's flexible, and usually higher than the lowest rates available, but, just to make things absolutely clear, the first night doesn't have to be higher. In fact the SECOND night is the free night, which usually can be made to work well, i.e. my January stay Fri+Sat at the IC SF, Fri was $160 and Sat was $300 (football playoff game that weekend or some such nonsense.) I was planning on a two night stay in town anyway, so getting the IC was great, as the other SF hotels while OK are not as good IMHO.

Yes, the point I was aiming at was that the night you pay is only available at the flexible rate. And that's the thing that still rankles with us RA old-timers, as in the days before the reforms began rolling through the programme you could selected the cheapest, non-cancellable rate for the first night. There'd be occasional arguments at check-out about which night was free, or should they be averaged: but they were arguments easily won, though occasional requiring intervention from IHG Towers.

Serendipity means you can come out with a clear and valuable benefit, as you did in San Francisco, but my last weekend stay, in Bali, saved not much over $50: nice enough, but not quite a free night :D

The market usually gets it right, and the weekend night certificates used to go for around £50 on Ebay.

Oh, and this to be the last year of 10% rebate on reward nights.

craigthemif Aug 3, 2020 5:12 am

Originally Posted by minz56 (Post 32577092)
Loyalty Lobby is saying that this promotion also applies when renewing Ambassador, but I haven't seen anything from IHG about this. The IHG T&C's in the LL post defnitely mentions renewals, but I am just wondering if anyone has any further insight on this.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/07/31/...ember-15-2020/

What kind of insight are you looking for? It's all in the standard T&Cs for Ambassador.

FLYGVA Aug 3, 2020 7:11 am

Indeed. If you look up the T&C on https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...rms-conditions and the bullet point Ambassador Reward Night Enrolment & Renewal Offer is reads

42. InterContinental® Ambassadors who enrol in the program or renew their program membership between July 30, 2020 – November 15, 2020 and then complete one Qualifying Stay at InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton® Hotels & Restaurants, or Regent® Hotels by January 31, 2021 will be awarded a Reward Night redeemable for a Reward Night priced at 40,000 points or less. The Reward Night will be deposited into the Free Nights section of the member’s account within 72 hours after check-out from the qualifying, paid stay and will be valid until April 30, 2021. This Reward Night is in addition to the complimentary weekend night that is already included as an InterContinental Ambassador member benefit. Ambassador benefits are not honored at Kimpton® Hotels & Restaurants globally or at Regent® Hotels & Resorts in Greater China.

The Reward Night must be consumed by April 30, 2021 and cannot be extended or transferred. The number of points required for a Reward Night at IHG hotels varies by date, brand and individual hotel and is subject to availability. Taxes and fees apply and the member may be required to pay such taxes and fees even for a Reward Night. IHG® Army Hotels, Mrs and Mrs Smith properties, and Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas are excluded from this Offer.

This Offer is not valid for InterContinental® Ambassador membership enrolments or renewals obtained on a complimentary basis or using the IHG Employee discount. Ambassador members must be within their standard renewal window in order to take advantage of this Offer. A Qualifying Stay is defined as a paid, minimum 1-night stay booked under a Qualifying Rate, with total spend exceeding US $30 per night. Reward Nights do not count as Qualifying Stays. A Stay is defined per IHG Rewards Club Membership Terms and Conditions as one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel, regardless of frequency of check-in/out. Only one room per member per Qualifying Stay will be eligible to earn the member a Reward Night under this Offer. If more than one member checks into the same room, only one member may use it as his or her Qualifying Stay for this Offer. No credit will be awarded for Stays completed prior to the member’s enrollment or renewal.
This means, you have to
a) enrol in the program or renew their program membership between July 30, 2020 – November 15, 2020
b) and then complete one Qualifying Stay at InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton® Hotels & Restaurants, or Regent® Hotels by January 31, 2021
and c) will be awarded a Reward Night redeemable for a Reward Night priced at 40,000 points or less

You will receive an free night award of 40000 points max. And given that this is IC, it might be helpful to save the t&c as PDF or in another way so that you are able to follow up, if the night does not show up in your account. It might be a bit early and I doubt, that many flyeralk renewed and already have had a qualifying night.

minz56 Aug 3, 2020 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by FLYGVA (Post 32577928)
Indeed. If you look up the T&C on https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...rms-conditions and the bullet point Ambassador Reward Night Enrolment & Renewal Offer is reads

This means, you have to
a) enrol in the program or renew their program membership between July 30, 2020 – November 15, 2020
b) and then complete one Qualifying Stay at InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton® Hotels & Restaurants, or Regent® Hotels by January 31, 2021
and c) will be awarded a Reward Night redeemable for a Reward Night priced at 40,000 points or less

You will receive an free night award of 40000 points max. And given that this is IC, it might be helpful to save the t&c as PDF or in another way so that you are able to follow up, if the night does not show up in your account. It might be a bit early and I doubt, that many flyeralk renewed and already have had a qualifying night.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

flyertalker28120 Aug 4, 2020 4:22 pm

Amb renewal is a no-brainer for me. I would have renewed without the promotional benefit most likely. But with it, it's the easiest decision ever.

Vasiliy Fomin Aug 5, 2020 4:13 am

I'm Spire and plan to buy Ambassador.
Will I get any addition bonuses (15000 points or 10% points discount on reward stays etc) if I pay $200 instead of 40000 points?

TheWiseOne Aug 5, 2020 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Vasiliy Fomin (Post 32582723)
Will I get any addition bonuses (15000 points or 10% points discount on reward stays etc) if I pay $200 instead of 40000 points?

The 10% discount has been discontinued and was only for renewals and not new sign-ups.

craigthemif Aug 5, 2020 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Vasiliy Fomin (Post 32582723)

Your additional bonus would usually be an extension of Spire, even if you didn't earn it.

This year of course that is irrelevant...

Otherwise no... you get the same benefits as Spire Ambassador as an IHG nobody who pays their $200.

DaveH Aug 9, 2020 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by TheWiseOne (Post 32583296)
The 10% discount has been discontinued and was only for renewals and not new sign-ups.

Source please? I've seen conflicting reports on this. Many thanks!