Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel gets reflagged, reward night guests lose out

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
Hotel gets reflagged, reward night guests lose out

IHG notified me today that its HIE in Bend, OR has been reflagged as a Best Western, which leaves three members of my family, all booking on points for an August trip, out of luck. What really ticks me off is that in early August a new HIE in Bend will open with very high rates and no reward night availability, but has IHG made a deal with them to allow guests to use points? Not on your life. Although the Best Western is offering good rates, the idea in these challenging times was not to have to lay out money and instead burn some of our points.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:36 am

Well, I would say that IHG wasn't known for taking care of its customers in the first place.
336 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
The Best Western conversion hotel mentioned is selling rooms for $90 during August. Unless they remove the plumbing, a fantastic deal among Bend hotel rooms in August. .
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:53 pm
T Q

Programs: HHonors/Marriott/Starwood/SWA Rapid Rewards
haha - good one

Originally Posted by hedoman
The Best Western conversion hotel mentioned is selling rooms for $90 during August. Unless they remove the plumbing, a fantastic deal among Bend hotel rooms in August. .
thanks for making me laugh! I needed that during this time of too much information in the media! I came to Flyertalk to escape and it worked! But to the OP, I'm sorry this happened to you. It seems like all we are getting these days is more bad news!
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:49 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by freebee
IHG notified me today that its HIE in Bend, OR has been reflagged as a Best Western, which leaves three members of my family, all booking on points for an August trip, out of luck. What really ticks me off is that in early August a new HIE in Bend will open with very high rates and no reward night availability, but has IHG made a deal with them to allow guests to use points? Not on your life. Although the Best Western is offering good rates, the idea in these challenging times was not to have to lay out money and instead burn some of our points.
Book the BW at the $90 (how bad can it be? that is a fantastic deal in Bend in the summer) and then once the new HIE opens up you can book it on points if you like the points cost (probably higher than the old one was but who knows). That is how it works with IHG. For new hotels you cannot book with points until the hotel is actually open. It is too bad as I was hoping to do a points stay at the MSP IC but when I was looking to book it was not open yet and I called them and was told this is how it works with IHG, no points transactions until the hotel is actually doing business under the IHG brand as in open for business not just taking reservations. I did not understand. Hilton does not work that way.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:35 am

This situation is not something the hotel industry handles very well. Granted, some hotel groups are slightly better than others...but, none is uniformly great.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I had this happen on a reward stay at a Hilton in Copenhagen at the airport. The only problem was it was the only Hilton property in the country, so I had to decide either to stay there and pay cash, or find another hotel in the city.

I chose a hotel in the city, which was more expensive than what the airport hotel was charging, but better located.

It happens, and it isn't great, but the $90 a night sounds like a steal, I would call the hotel and try to convert my reservation to cash. Especially if you were willing to stay there already.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
Good news!

Pleased to report that the new HIE in Bend, South is now accepting reservations for 20,000 points per night - 5,000 less than their previous HIE property. I would like to think that my post helped prompt this action, but it's probably just a coincidence.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 12:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Interesting. I was looking at the HIE Bend last week and noticed no award availability at all - now I know why. $90 in summer is fantastic indeed.

OP - I had the exact scenario happen to me, except it was at the Holiday Inn Resort - Lodge at Eagle Crest. They ended up putting me at HIE Bend for the same rate, which I suppose was OK, but Eagle Crest was a much more interesting property. I wrote about it here: https://saverocity.com/pointsadventu...-leaves-chain/

IHG is terrible in this regard.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by freebee
Pleased to report that the new HIE in Bend, South is now accepting reservations for 20,000 points per night - 5,000 less than their previous HIE property. I would like to think that my post helped prompt this action, but it's probably just a coincidence.
Hey that is great news and a really good deal. Definitely worth booking.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Never stayed there, but if a HIX is so nasty that it reflags to a Best Western, perhaps they've done you a favour...
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Never stayed there, but if a HIX is so nasty that it reflags to a Best Western, perhaps they've done you a favour...
The HIX reflagged to Best Western because a new HIX was built nearby.

Have been seeing a few of those 00's HIX properties reflag and new gray HIX built nearby. Medford, OR and Elko, NV last year as well.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Sorry for being pedantic but the use of the word reflag in this context is wrong English. Rebranded would be a better word to describe the change.

Happy it all worked out for you OP.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I had this happen on a reward stay at a Hilton in Copenhagen at the airport. The only problem was it was the only Hilton property in the country, so I had to decide either to stay there and pay cash, or find another hotel in the city.
There is a Hilton a mere 20 miles from the airport though, just across the bridge in Malmö and with very good public transport connections between Copenhagen airport and Malmö (about 20 mins to Malmö by train compared with about 10-15 mins to Central Copenhagen also by train).
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by clubman
Sorry for being pedantic but the use of the word reflag in this context is wrong English. Rebranded would be a better word to describe the change.
As I'm certain you're aware, this is a frequent traveler forum. As such, you will find the use of somewhat obscure terms that are what you consider to be "wrong" English. They are, however, perfectly acceptable within the context because they are terms used within the travel industry.

Another example is the use of the word "walk" to refer to relocating a guest to a different hotel when the reserved hotel is overbooked.
craigthemif, EdofFX and Keefy-boy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.