IHG removed points from my account without notice

Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

IHG removed points from my account without notice

Beware, IHG can unilaterally remove points from your account without your knowledge or approval.

Who analyzes their account activity regularly? Not me, but just happened to check something and noticed a redemption entry I didn't make nor authorize. After a week of investigation, IHG finally reversed the transaction. Apparently, a hotel I stayed last year on redemption didn't think I was charged for redemption and had IHG redeem points for 1 night.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by FlightorFight
Beware, IHG can unilaterally remove points from your account without your knowledge or approval.
Thank you for the warning, hopefully we all know that.

Who analyzes their account activity regularly?

Answer: a prudent person. Considering what you described and a bunch of other reasons, including but not limited to: program shutdowns, hacking, expected activity, its wise to check (analyze) each program on a regular basis. Similar to checking financial accounts on a regular basis, its good to know about and act upon unusual activity sooner rather than later. Accounts used on a daily basis (checking, credit cards) should be reviewed on a daily basis, other account weekly or monthly. Occasionally Ive noticed fraudulent activity before the credit cards computers noticed.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Who analyzes their account activity regularly? Not me, but just happened to check something and noticed a redemption entry I didn't make nor authorize. After a week of investigation, IHG finally reversed the transaction. Apparently, a hotel I stayed last year on redemption didn't think I was charged for redemption and had IHG redeem points for 1 night.
Mistakes do happen. The hotel charged you twice in error - which is what this is and nothing more nefarious - and it was resolved.
Crofton138 and Brendan like this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe less drama than the title suggests?
Often1, Crofton138 and ksucats like this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe change the title to, "IHG corrected error"
Old May 1, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador

Can't remember the number of times that I've been accidentally overcharged for something and then after contacting the company concerned, they've corrected their error. Happens everyday, not sure why this has been posted on here with such a dramatic title.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Gold, B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, CET 7*, MLIFE Plat, Cosmo Gold
Originally Posted by Crofton138
Can't remember the number of times that I've been accidentally overcharged for something and then after contacting the company concerned, they've corrected their error. Happens everyday, not sure why this has been posted on here with such a dramatic title.

Do you often get charged for something you purchased a year prior or months down the road?

Not sure how the title is perceived as dramatic. It's exactly what IHG did, they removed points from his account without his knowledge.

I can see why OP or any else would and should be concerned, especially for folks who don't regularly check their accounts. It's concerning for any company that charges you months after something (besides for rental car damages or maybe other incidentals) and not notify you about it.
Graf von B and Happy like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
As the OP states that he does not check his account then the points could have been taken shortly after his stay and unknown to him.
Isn't there enough hyperbole out in the world without creating more on here ?
Crofton138 likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:55 pm

Although I imagine most people here know, I'll add this for people that find this thread in the future via search engines:

This isn't just an IGH thing. Every hotel group will treat you the same way. If a hotel discovers they weren't paid in full (or even just believes that to be the case), they will deduct points from your account after the fact. Chances are strong that no one will contact you when that happens.

So, consider that fact if you are contemplating leaving IHG over this type of incident. The grass isn't any greener at a different hotel group.

Additionally, this is something done by individual hotels (that are almost always franchises). As such, the best course of action is to never stay at the hotel that did this without notifying you. But be certain to research the owner. It's not unusual for a local company to own multiple hotels of different flags in the same region. Moving your business to the nearby Marriott/Hilton/etc might mean you're still giving money to the same owner.
Old May 7, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by easy_money
Do you often get charged for something you purchased a year prior or months down the road?

Not sure how the title is perceived as dramatic. It's exactly what IHG did, they removed points from his account without his knowledge.

I can see why OP or any else would and should be concerned, especially for folks who don't regularly check their accounts. It's concerning for any company that charges you months after something (besides for rental car damages or maybe other incidentals) and not notify you about it.
How do you know it was months after that the charge was made? Please explain how you know it was this long? It could have been a few days given that the OP doesn't check their account.

This is just a standard error that the company corrected when notified. Spot on from IHG, nothing to see here.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold, B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, CET 7*, MLIFE Plat, Cosmo Gold
Originally Posted by Crofton138
How do you know it was months after that the charge was made? Please explain how you know it was this long? It could have been a few days given that the OP doesn't check their account.

This is just a standard error that the company corrected when notified. Spot on from IHG, nothing to see here.
You're right, I don't know. But it seems like you have the inside scoop and know for sure. Fact is, we BOTH don't know, or anyone else for that matter (besides OP), if it was days, weeks, or months.

Again, more speculation from you. How do you know it was a "correction" vice a mistake? Since OP hasn't reported back, BOTH of us won't know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.