Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Extension of Annual Free Night from IHG Rewards Club Visa / Mastercard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
12/17/21 - separate thread discussing the already-extended certificates expiring 12/31/2021: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2054777-will-ihg-extend-expiration-certificates-set-expire-12-31-21-a-6.html
12/16 Updated today: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ihg-free-night-update/
12/15 People are seeing a new certificate posted with expiration of 8/31/2021
12/8 Doctor of Credit: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-ihg-to-extend-free-night-certificates-until-august-2021/
12/8 The Points Guy: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ihg-free-night-update
12/3 Loyalty Lobby: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/12/03/opinion-ihg-is-really-shortsighted-for-not-extending-expiring-certificates
11/18 Loyalty Lobby: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/11/18/...g-certificates

IHG Executive Contact Information for those who want to escalate:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/intercontinental-hotels/

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Extension of Annual Free Night from IHG Rewards Club Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:43 pm
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Just in; they will extend by 6 more months!

Just got off the phone.

You still need to call in and open a case.

The ideal is to put that request like a week before expiration date - so you have the full extent of the 6 months (if you don't mind the risk...)
Happy and TravelinSperry like this.

Last edited by YUL; Mar 20, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
IHG will extend the free night certificates to 12/31/2020 but you should call to make a case.

IHG will extend chase free night certificate to 12/31/2020
YUL likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
After waiting on hold for 30+ minutes, I got my certificate (which was expiring this weekend) extended to the last week September 2020. The extension was immediately reflected on-line, and the T&C's do not mention a point cap. However, the new T&C's are not identical to the ones previously listed (which I saved in a Word document).

Just to be safe, I also asked for and received a reference number for the matter.
YUL likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:37 pm

I called in a few days ago and have a case number. But online my certs are still showing as expiring. Are they going to have to through one by one to update them? Yikes!
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:48 pm

I called IHG again, and they also told me that the team dealing with Chase certificates are in quarantine.....
Tried calling back a few times today to extend my certificate, but no luck so far
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YUL
Just got off the phone.

The ideal is to put that request like a week before expiration date - so you have the full extent of the 6 months (if you don't mind the risk...)
The extension is from the original expiry date. It does not matter when you call in. They need to open a case and submit it to the team that does the work. There is no system auto-sweep like Marriott or Hilton seem to be doing.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tercader
I called IHG again, and they also told me that the team dealing with Chase certificates are in quarantine.....
Tried calling back a few times today to extend my certificate, but no luck so far
All you need is to open a case. The rep just sends the case to the dept that handles the extension. It does not matter whether the team is in quarantine or not - all you need is a case set up for your request to extent the cert. If the rep keeps giving you the garbage, ask to speak to a manager.

When I called yesterday I told the front line rep that this would be for something probably above your authority, therefore it is better to get a supervisor / manager who has the power to do something that is not ordinary. The first rep fiddled around then dropped the call. On the second call I was promptly tranferred to a supervisor after my request. It turned out the supervisor was US-based in Utah. He opened the case without me asking. Today the cert shows the 6 months extension to Sept 26.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pigx5
IHG will extend the free night certificates to 12/31/2020 but you should call to make a case.

IHG will extend chase free night certificate to 12/31/2020
So far in actual extension it is only for 6 months from date of expiration.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:04 am

update: I called IHG China Center and extend my free night to Sep 27. It is real-time reflected in my account.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by magich
update: I called IHG China Center and extend my free night to Sep 27. It is real-time reflected in my account.
Based on magich's DP, I just called and have my free night cert extended to Sep 27 as well. My original exp. date is 4/18, so it is not 6 months from the original date of expiration. I think it is somehow based on the date of request: "Book 1 between 03/21/2020 - 09/27/2020." If someone book tomorrow, please report back. Considering someone had theirs extended until 09/26 yesterday, a request tomorrow might very well result in a cert valid for 03/22/2020 - 09/28/2020.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Damn. Just 'wasted' my uncapped cert on a Holiday Inn Express. Didn't even get a warm breakfast - all they had was 'grab n go'.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by YUL
Just got off the phone.

Great news! I just called and opened the case. Extension for 6 months as mentioned. Now here's hoping the zombie apocalypse ends before then
YUL likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Great news! I just called and opened the case. Extension for 6 months as mentioned. Now here's hoping the zombie apocalypse ends before then
Same for me this morning, definitely should call because I never got a follow up to my email inquiry.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mathprof
Same for me this morning, definitely should call because I never got a follow up to my email inquiry.
Agreed, and double check your expiry dates after the call. The rep initially changed my 2021 cert backwards to Sep 27, 2020 and left my cert that expired last week, expired. Had to call a second time to get it corrected.
beltway likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
All you need is to open a case. The rep just sends the case to the dept that handles the extension. It does not matter whether the team is in quarantine or not - all you need is a case set up for your request to extent the cert. If the rep keeps giving you the garbage, ask to speak to a manager.

When I called yesterday I told the front line rep that this would be for something probably above your authority, therefore it is better to get a supervisor / manager who has the power to do something that is not ordinary. The first rep fiddled around then dropped the call. On the second call I was promptly tranferred to a supervisor after my request. It turned out the supervisor was US-based in Utah. He opened the case without me asking. Today the cert shows the 6 months extension to Sept 26.
Thanks for the info! After calling IHG 3x yesterday and getting nowhere, I called again today and asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor opened a case for me and my husband. The supervisor again said that the team handling the Chase certs are in quarantine, but we will definitely get the dates extended as this is not due to our fault. My night has already expired. Fingers crossed it works out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.