Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedia booking - no benefits and points

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:49 pm
sam
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
Expedia booking - no benefits and points

I have 75% discretion over which hotel I stay in on business but 0% discretion over whether it is booked direct or via Expedia. Therefore I get really annoyed that ihg do not recognise my loyalty (and my spire elite status) when I stay in an Expedia booking
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sam
I have 75% discretion over which hotel I stay in on business but 0% discretion over whether it is booked direct or via Expedia. Therefore I get really annoyed that ihg do not recognise my loyalty (and my spire elite status) when I stay in an Expedia booking
None of the big chains (Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton) officially offer elite benefits for Expedia bookings. Requiring you to use Expedia is a cost control measure by your employer. They don't want to possibly pay more just so you can access your benefits.

MTA: I'm not unsympathetic. My husband's employer requires him to use a corporate travel agent which sometimes has drawbacks, but luckily those hotel bookings still qualify for elite benefits. I'd be pretty upset if they switched to Expedia. But I'd blame the employer, not the hotel chain.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sam
Sorry, but can you explain what this means, please?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sam
Your loyalty Or the loyalty of your employer?

And it is as easy as this: Booking platforms offer various benefits. IHG.COM is nothing but a booking platform and offers certain benefits (points, status). EXPEDIA.COM is another booking platform and offers other (or no) benefits (at least not to you). Both, IHG.COM and EXPEDIA.COM get a certain percentage of the value of the relevant transaction. Your employer decided to use EXPEDIA.COM, probably because your employer gets (a) a good reporting, (b) offers not limited to one chain and (c) a substantial kick-back at the end of the year. IHG.COM, offering points and status, gets nothing, you can't expect anything.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Sorry, but can you explain what this means, please?
He has the choice to spend 100 USD per night. In 75% of all cases, IHG offers a property in that range, in 25% not.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
He has the choice to spend 100 USD per night. In 75% of all cases, IHG offers a property in that range, in 25% not.
I appreciate that English may not be the OP’s first language, but that is not at all clear from the initial post. What is 75% discretion?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Your employer dose not care abut your points collectionn and hotel status. All they are about is the price of where you stay. Perhaps they have negotiated a corprate rate with expedia where they are rebated a % of the expenditure of the business they put expedias way?

If you expense yoru stays then are they amenable to you booking your preferred IHG hotel direct but only claiming the expedia cost (which you would of course very by providing screen shots of the expedia booking engine) or to the limit of their per diem for hotel bookings?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Mr.'s current employer also uses Expedia (engenia or whatever crap it's called), I book hotels for him so I know how it works: I can see both point earning and non-point earning rates for ALL chains, if you want points the price will be at least 20% more. It means Mr. will not book those under any circumstances (we don't have the "you can spend $200 max per night to book whatever you want" thing).
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Your employer dose not care abut your points collectionn and hotel status. All they are about is the price of where you stay. Perhaps they have negotiated a corprate rate with expedia where they are rebated a % of the expenditure of the business they put expedias way?

If you expense yoru stays then are they amenable to you booking your preferred IHG hotel direct but only claiming the expedia cost (which you would of course very by providing screen shots of the expedia booking engine) or to the limit of their per diem for hotel bookings?

Expedia pays a certain percentage of the value of all bookings as a kickback. This can be very substantial.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:01 am
sam
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
Expedia pays a certain percentage of the value of all bookings as a kickback. This can be very substantial.
I suspect our travel company gets this but, in return, we don’t pay a booking fee
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:05 am
sam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I appreciate that English may not be the OP’s first language, but that is not at all clear from the initial post. What is 75% discretion?
LOL! I’m as English as they get.

I mean that (on average) 3 out of 4 occasions I can choose the hotel I want to stay in but not the way it is booked. My point is that i am annoyed that Hilton and ihg do not recognise my prior loyalty and I now have no reason to choose their hotels ( in fact my annoyance is a disincentive ).
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:25 am
Suspended

So you have 100% discretion 75% of the time.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by sam
My point is that i am annoyed that Hilton and ihg do not recognise my prior loyalty and I now have no reason to choose their hotels ( in fact my annoyance is a disincentive ).
I just want to highlight the point that ehallison, Flying Lawyer, and UKtravelbear all mentioned earlier. You're not getting frequent traveler benefits because of a decision your employer made. If you choose to be annoyed, it really should be with your employer.

Being for-profit businesses, hotels need to limit costs to make money. In most cases, when someone books through a third-party company like Expedia, the hotel must pay a commission to that company. All of the major US hotel chains have decided that individual hotels don't have to pay that commission and pay the costs associated with providing frequent traveler benefits. Hotels will pay one or the other.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
All of the major US hotel chains have decided that individual hotels don't have to pay that commission and pay the costs associated with providing frequent traveler benefits. Hotels will pay one or the other.
Rest assured, the individual hotels pay commission to the chain. And they have to pay the costs (most of these like upgrades on availability don't cost anything) of these benefits. Or do you really believe the cashbay paid by shoop and others comes out of IHG's pocket. No, the hotels pay about 15% as commission to the chain, plus, plus, plus....
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Rest assured, the individual hotels pay commission to the chain. And they have to pay the costs (most of these like upgrades on availability don't cost anything) of these benefits. Or do you really believe the cashbay paid by shoop and others comes out of IHG's pocket. No, the hotels pay about 15% as commission to the chain, plus, plus, plus....
Basically benefits from the loyalty clubs are paid partially by the rate you pay to hotel, that's why you'll see no points rates are a lot cheaper in expedia compared to the "regular" rate which is higher than directly from the chain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.