Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Maldives - RA Booking 50% cancelled - Fuming!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, IHG Royal Ambassador
IHG Maldives - RA Booking 50% cancelled - Fuming!

Dear All,

Having booked 14 nights at the INTERCONTINENTALŪMALDIVES MAAMUNAGAU RESORT 3 months ago I have just been told that my booking between 1st of April and the 14th of April and received an email stating that the dates from the 8th of April to the 14th of April have been cancelled:

Please be informed that our resort will be on exclusive buy-out from 8th to 13th April 2020 (all dates inclusive). Hence, any guests who have booked and staying during this period will be able to stay until 8th April 2020 only. In consideration of the changes above, we would like to offer you IHG reward points 300,000 as compensation for the shortened 6 nights stay. You can use it on your return visit to InterContinental Maldives or even at any of IHG Hotels & Resorts around the world for your future holidays.

I have incurred substantial flight costs (3 people with J outbound and F inbound so non flexible) and to be told this with a little over 4 weeks notice is a complete farce. Its not like I can jump in a cab to another hotel, the reason I chose the IHG was that as an RA I get certain perks which are well known, even should I move to another hotel at the cost of IHG these perks will be lost. What should I be doing/saying? I have called the IHG call centre who spoke to the hotel who have now asked me to email them...I mean ...??

Please let me have any advice.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:12 am

Did you book your 14 nights using points or a paid stay?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Points, so I think my options are limited on that basis?

100,000/night total of 1.3m

As I said it was booked 3 months ago (and confirmed obviously)
sweets61250 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:18 am

seems like they want cash over a points stay. Does IHG have another hotel in Maldives? Or can they put you up somewhere else?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:25 am
Original Poster

They have the holiday Inn but its not the same standard, we had a sunset over water villa at the IHG which is brand new, trip of a lifetime and as I said its been booked for months, the fact they've not offered any options to us (in terms of putting us up anywhere else) is really unhelpful and the call centre seemed powerless to do anything as well. Its quite unbelievably bad service. They just said "as you've booked and paid for seaplane return let us know where you plan to stay so we can collect you from there to return you to MLE when you leave the Maldives"
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:26 am

Your best bet is to speak to the manager and see what options they are offering and then if not acceptable take this up with someone more senior at customer service.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
Your best bet is to speak to the manager and see what options they are offering and then if not acceptable take this up with someone more senior at customer service.
Does anyone have any contact information for senior customer service? What should I reasonably expect?

I have a young family and we like to "settle" when we go on holiday, a multi centre holiday does not work for us, we chose this hotel specifically and after a lot of researching. If I understand them correctly, and the customer service rep on the phone it would appear that the entire hotel has been booked by one party and they are cancelling stays for everyone at this time - is this even legal?

Ideally IHG would pay for us to stay at a comparable resort, in a comparable room over the same dates. Is this reasonable?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by JSR2014
Points, so I think my options are limited on that basis?

100,000/night total of 1.3m

As I said it was booked 3 months ago (and confirmed obviously)
Not sure why they only offered 300,000 points bonus refund when the cost of 6 nights is 600,000. If they offered a full 1.3 million point refund and let you stay the first 8 nights free would that work for you?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If they can be bought out and give confirmed guests a boot, then they (IC) can buy you out as well. It'll be all down to negotiations, bit 300k points is a joke and very cheap for them.

Ultimately it'll be up to you, but if I was considering this I would ask for the first 8 nights at IC that you'll be there to be completely comped meaning all your points get returned to you and meals and beverages and such are free as well plus no charge for transfers etc.

Then lay out a number for alternative adequate properties like Park Hyatt, Conrad, Waldorf, St. Regis, W or so and tell them they'll be paying for one of those for the nights that they walk you incl transfer to the other hotel etc.

Somewhere along those lines, aim higher initially as this will be a negotiation though it needs to be somewhat realistic still. It will be tough, but honestly 300k points is an insult in this situation and I would clearly the them that the "compensation" they offer is entirely inadequate and not accepted.

You can "buy" IHG points at 0.5-0.7 cent so 300k would equate 1,500$, a joke under these circumstances.
JSR2014 likes this.

Last edited by demue; Feb 29, 2020 at 12:59 am
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Not sure why they only offered 300,000 points bonus refund when the cost of 6 nights is 600,000. If they offered a full 1.3 million point refund and let you stay the first 8 nights free would that work for you?
Yup, I would say the same. They return the 1.3m points and the OP stays fully free for the first 8 nights.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:24 am
Original Poster

I've called again, apparently they've (hotel manager) now gone home for the night and will respond tomorrow. I am lost for words.

Thank you for all your advice, I think bearing in mind our circumstances the walk to another hotel would be the best option for us, I don't want them to suggest the HI Maldives though as its not comparable. Would it be reasonable to refuse this and insist on something of the same caliber as the IC Hotel?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:55 am

Absolutely not unreasonable.

When they oversold those nights to one party, they priced in the cost of reaccomodating current bookings. Their pathetic offer was an attempt to play it very cheaply. Really doesn't look good for the hotel.

Stand your ground.

You have the right to a comparable hotel, with comparable RA benefits, for the dates booked.

The only thing which is normal, is that indeed locally it is currently nighttime. They should get back to you with a real solution tomorrow. Or at least communicate that they are working towards it.

I actually do think they will provide a solution which will satisfy you. Maybe the first offer was due to inexperience.

If that would fail, GM is Stefan Huemer.
JSR2014 likes this.

Last edited by 336; Feb 27, 2020 at 9:28 am
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you - here is hoping!

The first offer was from their reservations manager who is apparently working on the "new resolution", having said that when I contacted IHG they gave me a completely different name for the reservations manager. 1st name is the one from the email, second name the one given to me as the person spoken to by IHG

Nadeep Sakalasooriya
Reservations Manager

Nadee Bandara
Reservations Manager

I'll update this as soon as I have any more information, if anyone has an email address for customer service that would be amazing.

The GM (Stephan Huemer) mentioned above, is that the hotel GM or IHG GM?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:26 am

Nadeep Sakalasooriya and Nadeep Bandara are the same person.

Mr Huemer is hotel GM.
355F1 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 336
Nadeep Sakalasooriya and Nadeep Bandara are the same person.

Mr Huemer is hotel GM.
Perfect thank you ever so much for your help and knowledge, its quite incredible. Have you been to the hotel before? I am absolutely gutted about the whole situation, this holiday (and hotel) was to the the light at the end of the tunnel of a horrendous year for me and my family. My wife has only ever been to one IHG before which was the one in Dallas and so I was super excited to be staying there, such is life and lets be honest, assuming that they resolve the issue then its really just a first world problem right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.