Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego unrestricted IHG cert

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:02 am
Original Poster

San Diego unrestricted IHG cert

I searched this forum for recommendations for San Diego and found several threads but each with some problems. Some recommended hotels that have left IHG, some are too old and don't know about the IC, and some are tailored for needs other than mine (families or work).

Basically I'm going to be in San Diego with my wife for the first time this coming April. I have my last Chase IHG unrestricted certificate to use. We're probably going to spend 1 night at an IHG property and 2 nights elsewhere since I'm not longer IHG loyal. What is the general consensus for the highest quality hotel with relatively easy access to tourist attractions in San Diego. I'm not going to be driving and want to be walking distance from restaurants and entertainment.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Stay downtown, in/near the Gaslamp area. It's easy walking distance to plenty of restaurants and entertainment. You can walk to Balboa Park (which includes the San Diego Zoo), too, or take a cheap Lyft/Uber ride. Pick one of the downtown hotels based on availability or whatever amenities (pool, fancy bar, etc.) are meaningful to you.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

I guess that narrows it down to:
HIX Downtown 8.4
Kimpton Palomar 8.6
IC SD 8.8
Hotel Indigo Gaslamp 9.0

I've never actually stayed at a Kimpton/Indigo so I'm not sure what to expect... I'll do more research.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum, National Executive
I stayed at my first Kimpton (though not in san diego) and the stay was fantastic. I had heard good things about the kimpton brand in general. Unless one of the other hotels jumps out at you or comes highly recommended or the location is better, I'd pick the Kimpton.

I'm not really and IHG person either, but the experience was so great, I may shift some vacation stays to their hotels.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: AS,UA
I love San Diego, i'm just not a fan of downtown and the gas lamp area from a hotel standpoint, none of the hotels really wow me. This is probably not possible for you but I would use it at the Kimpton Shorebreak Huntington Beach Resort 90 miles up the road,nice resort right on the beach, can soak up your entire day at the resort and walk around Huntington Beach.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:00 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Kimpton Palomar is a fantastic property. I’m Spire and was upgraded to a top floor suite with floor to ceiling windows and two balconies almost 360 degrees around.

Agree with the poster above - I love the Shorebreak hotel if you’re willing to head up to Orange County.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:39 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I'm also interested in this - staying with wife and 2 year old for one night in April.

50K points for the Kimpton or the Indigo
60K points for the IC

I only have Gold status, so not sure I should count on an upgrade, but it will be midweek and only 1 night, so maybe...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.