Search

Sneaky Dynamic Pricing- HI T-4 LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold

Stayed at HI T-4 numerous times. When asked always state will pay in pounds. This time asked to insert my cc and came up showing both GBP and USD BUT If you press "enter" it will automatically charge to USD. Have to press "cancel" to charge in GBP. Desk agent advised there was a 4% fee and I was not the first to make the comment it was a sneaky way to do it.

I still like the hotel for overnight stay - just be careful.
olegator likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Not "dynamic pricing", DCC - dynamic currency conversion.

Not specific to this hotel.

And although hotels should really do a better job (maybe because they are getting kickbacks either directly or hidden within their credit card fees), it's the bank providing the credit card machine that is doing the scamming.
:D! likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
There is a plan for all machine to clearly tell people the fees or mark up that they paying for using this “service” (scam)

if you use an Amex I don’t believe they can do this either as Amex doesn’t allow DCC.
:D! likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
There is a plan for all machine to clearly tell people the fees or mark up that they paying for using this “service” (scam)

if you use an Amex I don’t believe they can do this either as Amex doesn’t allow DCC.
Correct about AMEX but I use "whatever" hotel cards at their hotels (IHG Chase at IHG, US Bank Radisson,, Chase Hyatt, AMEX Bonbon card, Amex Hilton, etc.).
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:28 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Beware of prepaid rates then, because they may just apply DCC without asking then you have a fight to get refunded the full amount you were wrongly charged.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
Beware of prepaid rates then, because they may just apply DCC without asking then you have a fight to get refunded the full amount you were wrongly charged.
This is possibly my number one pet peeve. I rarely book prepaid hotel rates, but whenever a hotel, car rental, etc. applies DCC when the card isn't present (or if the clerk accepts DCC without asking me) it drives me crazy...

I find it especially galling when my USD card attached to a UK address, ends up DCCed into sterling and then converted back into USD by my bank with yet another commission.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.