FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Points, minibar credit, or drink at the lounge? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2005756-points-minibar-credit-drink-lounge.html)

lsquare Jan 22, 20 8:44 pm

Points, minibar credit, or drink at the lounge?

Iím currently at the ICHK and this is the offer given to me at check-in. I think I was also given something similar at the Crowne Plaza in Beijing. IIRC, I went for the drink at the lobby, which I regret. What would you guys do? 500 IHG points, HK$100 minibar credit; or free drink at the lounge (most likely sodís or juice)?

Chinatrvl Jan 23, 20 1:16 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31983766)
Iím currently at the ICHK and this is the offer given to me at check-in. I think I was also given something similar at the Crowne Plaza in Beijing. IIRC, I went for the drink at the lobby, which I regret. What would you guys do? 500 IHG points, HK$100 minibar credit; or free drink at the lounge (most likely sodís or juice)?

100 HKD minibar credit won't buy you a beer there. I doubt the free drink is soft drinks only, rather wine and beer as well.

lsquare Jan 23, 20 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl (Post 31984337)
100 HKD minibar credit won't buy you a beer there. I doubt the free drink is soft drinks only, rather wine and beer as well.

I'm better off just getting the points then?

Chinatrvl Jan 23, 20 5:38 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31984409)
I'm better off just getting the points then?

Those are the seriously tough decisions in life, aren't they? ;)

lsquare Jan 23, 20 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl (Post 31984817)
Those are the seriously tough decisions in life, aren't they? ;)

For sure bro! For sure!!!

Eskimoboy Jan 23, 20 6:13 am

I always take the drink and sometimes the points post as well

Chinatrvl Jan 23, 20 6:21 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31984869)
For sure bro! For sure!!!

Enjoy whatever you have chosen - and greetings from the Grand Stanford. :)

lsquare Jan 23, 20 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl (Post 31984912)
Enjoy whatever you have chosen - and greetings from the Grand Stanford. :)

In hindsight, I probably should have picked that. I did noted in the ICHK thread that it was cheaper. Oh well. I'll probably pick the points before check-out.

htb Jan 23, 20 3:02 pm

At least you get to choose. For years the only choice at Chinese hotels was the drinks voucher which I never used. :(
Still a very meager token for top elites in their program.

Super Mario Jan 23, 20 3:29 pm

I've had some solid cocktails at the bars. I really liked my old fashioned at the Intercontinental Times Square

The_Bouncer Jan 23, 20 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimoboy (Post 31984899)
I always take the drink and sometimes the points post as well

This. At least you know you will actually get the drink - and as mentioned, at least half the time they credit the points too.

By the way, 500 points are worth between $2.00 and $2.50 US, so unless you are teetotal, are usually the lowest value option.

Exception: USA, where the "refreshment" is a 20c bottle of water and a 30c bag of trail mix. Anywhere else in the world, go for the booze.

lsquare Jan 23, 20 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer (Post 31987015)
This. At least you know you will actually get the drink - and as mentioned, at least half the time they credit the points too.

By the way, 500 points are worth between $2.00 and $2.50 US, so unless you are teetotal, are usually the lowest value option.

Exception: USA, where the "refreshment" is a 20c bottle of water and a 30c bag of trail mix. Anywhere else in the world, go for the booze.

So I don't need to say anything at checkout? Even after getting a free drink, there's a chance the system itself will award the points?

The_Bouncer Jan 23, 20 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31987038)
So I don't need to say anything at checkout? Even after getting a free drink, there's a chance the system itself will award the points?

In my experience, about a 60-70% chance.

AMDB7 Jan 23, 20 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer (Post 31987069)
In my experience, about a 60-70% chance.

Agreed. That pretty much sums up my experience too; I always take the drink (and 20-30% of the time, with a bit of friendly chat, they give me 2 vouchers) and the points still post 60-70% of the time too. Nothing further needs to be said at checkout.

lsquare Jan 23, 20 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by AMDB7 (Post 31987601)
Agreed. That pretty much sums up my experience too; I always take the drink (and 20-30% of the time, with a bit of friendly chat, they give me 2 vouchers) and the points still post 60-70% of the time too. Nothing further needs to be said at checkout.

Here's an update. I'm currently sitting at the ICHK lounge. I picked the Chardonnay. I'll be checking out in a few hours. I'll update again if the points post.