FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   No 3 bed rooms with IHG in London, UK, really? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2005125-no-3-bed-rooms-ihg-london-uk-really.html)

FFlash Jan 19, 2020 4:50 am

No 3 bed rooms with IHG in London, UK, really?

As said, I cannot really find a central property in London, neither LHR which offers 3 separate beds. All seem to offer 3-4 pax yes, but including a King bed and a sofa bed or comparable, none has 3 separate beds and even havin 2 twin roommwith extra rollaway seems non-existing or rather difficult to discern if yes, reading the room descriptions and photos.
Any helpful pointers?
Thx!

SWCPHX Jan 19, 2020 7:56 am

I ran into this same problem a couple of years ago trying to book for four adults. We ended up at the Town Hall Hotel and Suites, Marriott/Starwood property, near Bethnal Green tube station.

Often1 Jan 19, 2020 9:50 am

Same answer as on the Hilton thread. Call and ask. Nobody advertises their one-off room configurations and they will generally want to know who is occupying, e.g. three full-sized adults vs. 2 + smallish kid.

FFlash Jan 19, 2020 12:13 pm

Thx for replies.
I have emailed one property and awaiting response.

Often1 Jan 19, 2020 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 31969841)
Thx for replies.

As noted both in the Hilton thread and here, this is a phone call.

You need a real live person to whom you can describe your very specific needs and ask them what they have that might fulfill your needs. That is a conversation.

somedudefromFLa Jan 20, 2020 12:06 am

Interesting, perhaps since it is London they're trying to discourage 10 people piling into one room or whatnot as when I searched for 4 ( or 5 ) total adults/children very few hotels came up but usually in most cities they're many...

I did find crown plaza London-Kingston has a suite with 2 doubles and a separate "lounge" room, which I'm assuming has sofa bed? Also the IC by O2 lists a room for 5 people but saying over 1000 pounds MEH

craigthemif Jan 21, 2020 2:53 am

Hmmmm... 3 single adults travelling together who don't want to pay for privacy... sounds exactly like the target market for 4-5 star hotels in London. :D

I certainly agree that hotel chain websites could do a better job of showing bed layout, but a 3/4 single bed room is something that 99% of people booking a high end hotel simply would hate to be randomly allocated if travelling alone or with a partner. There are dozens of youth hostels and cheap B&Bs in London that cater to groups of friends.

LondonElite Jan 21, 2020 3:04 am

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 31969841)
Thx for replies.

Emailing hotels generally does not work very well. This is because emails are point to point and hotels work on the principle of stationing people. Call a specific hotel and speak to their reservations desk.

FFlash Jan 21, 2020 5:04 am

Got the reply on email stating they dont have rollaways nor extra beds. CP Kings Cross.

Yes I started to look into other options but obviously I wanted to earn/burn IHG or Hilton points and use my Spire/diamond benefits. It has been so easy in many other places globally that I thought it would work in London too but I stand corrected.

Finally, with a smiley I must admit that I dont know if I was actually more surprised by the tone of comments of You dear flyertalkers on this topic. Kinda made me feel an alien on this planet although we are just normal average Joes here. Go figure, maybe we are not normal in this weird world :D

TGLoyalty Jan 21, 2020 2:00 pm

CPs have two double bed rooms these doubles are generally big enough for two adults each.

I know CP the city does in London.

3 separate beds is probably unlikely.

baroqen Jan 22, 2020 12:33 am

I'll admit that while getting 2 beds and a rollaway was easy throughout most of the US, I've found it a bit less common in a lot of places around the world (for standard rooms). I've received or identified a few diffferent reasons such as including fire regulations/safety to the simple fact that some places have rooms that literally don't have any space to fit a rollaway, much less safely. Speaking of which... I was at two properties in NYC recently, and although I didn't ask about a rollaway... I'll be honest, I can't even imagine where they could have even fit a rollaway in the small room. Many of the hotels still had an option for rollaways in their larger (more expensive) rooms, although some just didn't have rollaway beds at all. I've even found properties that didn't even have cribs.

Of course, some places just don't like it due to the fact that certain demographics really will try to pile 10 people into a room. The hotel wouldn't like that for a number of reasons including lost revenue on the additional rooms and/or safety.

Good luck with your search. My kids have been growing quickly... unfortunately my salary has not shared that same growth rate so I've been facing increasingly tight spaces as we travel.

Lorian Jan 23, 2020 2:46 pm

its very uncommon in the uk

The_Bouncer Jan 23, 2020 3:50 pm

3-bedded rooms are just generally not a thing in the UK.

​​​In the rest of the English speaking world, USA, Canada, Australia, NZ, etc. you can usually find a "family" room with, for example, a double and two singles, but in the UK (and really the rest of Europe), it's not really an option outside of cheap B&Bs or hostels.
​​​
In chain hotels, the best you can hope for is a twin with a sofa bed or a rollaway.

Try a quick search of the relevant property's TripAdvisor reviews and enter a search term like "rollaway" or "extra bed".

scubaccr Jan 24, 2020 7:46 am

Best option is look for a 2x Queen Bedded Room , which sleeps 4 ppn. alteernate option is i)King with rollin in bed at $$/night fee ii)2x Singles with rollin in bed at $$/night fee iii)HIE with either King/2x Singles plus sofa bed in my experience

Certainly I see less sofabeds outside of HIRs offerings in europe. Other issue is local fire regs and hotels limiting numbers in rom to 3ppn not 4ppn which 2x queen doubles often allows

The_Bouncer Jan 24, 2020 8:32 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr (Post 31989408)

Certainly I see less sofabeds outside of HIRs offerings in europe. Other issue is local fire regs and hotels limiting numbers in rom to 3ppn not 4ppn which 2x queen doubles often allows

Of course. I had forgotten about the fire regulations. To be honest, I think the OP is going to have to book two rooms.