Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged Twice for One Room

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Charged Twice for One Room

Wondering the best way forward in this situation: noticed on my credit card statement that I had been charged twice for a stay. Called the front desk which said I made 2 reservations, but they listed the same confirmation number for each one. Checking my emails from IHG, there is only one for one room with that number.
Seems to obviously be some kind of IT glitch either on hotel or IHG end. Since the General Manager doesn't seem interested in fixing this, do I call IHG or just dispute the charge on my card? I'm inclined to do the latter since I've already spent enough time on this, but I would also like to use the hotel again in the future.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'd call IHG first. Disputing may void your one actual booking you seem to hold. The fact that the hotel supposedly sees two reservations with the same confirmation number indicates something amiss on their end.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is not clear from your OP, but if the stay has already taken place, simply dispute the duplicate charge. One of the online options for most card issuers is likely "duplicate charge." Make certain that you specifically state that there is only one reservation and that you provide the confirmation number.

As a general matter, it is worth one call and one call only to deal with something which has already occurred. Your time has value and it will take you <1 minute to file the CC dispute vs. however long on the phone with IHG (which probably won't do anything other than forward your concern to the property - and you have that answer already).

If the stay is coming up, don't do anything until after checkout.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
As only a Spire with IHG I would make a call to IHG Customer Service (or email) and give them a few days to fix. After stating the fact you have outlined- 1 confirmation recorded twice by hotel, I would inform them if it is not resolved quickly you will have no option but to dispute the charge. I use credit card dispute as last resort.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for replies. Stay has already happened, and as mentioned I do feel like my call to the property was enough time investment. But since I have a future stay I didn't want to jump to disputing the charge too quickly.

I did call IHG and they only saw the one reservation on their end. Opened a case and indicated the property would need to respond within 48 hours. If that doesn't clear things up I will go the chargeback route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.