FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IHG status match/challenge announced June 18, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1975601-ihg-status-match-challenge-announced-june-18-2019-a.html)

joe_miami Jun 25, 2019 3:37 pm

IHG status match/challenge announced June 18, 2019

IHG announced this status match/challenge, including for Spire, last Tuesday:

https://www.ihg.com/trip-extras/us/en/statusmatch

Only 2,500 people will be matched to Spire, while the other tiers are unlimited.

I have Hyatt Globalist and Hilton Diamond and signed up the first day, but I still haven't received a reply. Anyone else here doing (or trying) this? If so, have you heard back from IHG? Thanks.

Stealthmode Jun 26, 2019 4:02 am

Keep your expectations low... it's IHG

I did a Spire status match request for my partner, so far no reply but the t&c's mentioned that it could take up to 14 days... so guess we have to sweat it out a little more.

Land-of-Miles Jun 26, 2019 6:26 am

I really don't get the thinking that makes IHG think they will get a stream of regular guests by encouraging defections from other programmes which are in many ways far superior. Seems like marketing desperation rather than a well thought out plan. Maybe I am wrong though and the Hyatt Globalists, Hilton Diamonds and Marriott Titaniums will be so impressed by their upgrade from bin view to high floor bin view with no free breakfast, lounge or other meaningful recognition they will ditch their former programme :rolleyes:

I know in practice that things can be better than this but it would seem to have made much more sense targeting Kimpton IC or IC RA at a small group of high spenders elsewhere.

est-gratuite Jun 26, 2019 6:46 am

IHG getting more and more desperate each quarter.

It feels just like when an ex-girlfriend begs for you to take her back, after neglecting you (and treating you like crap) for years and years...and what she's offering now is more of the same nonsense that made you dump her in the first place.

It's sad to watch.

mookie10 Jun 26, 2019 2:04 pm

Thank you for sharing this - have requested Status Match today to Marriott Titanium and will share outcome

Chinatrvl Jun 27, 2019 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles (Post 31241201)
I really don't get the thinking that makes IHG think they will get a stream of regular guests by encouraging defections from other programmes which are in many ways far superior. Seems like marketing desperation rather than a well thought out plan. Maybe I am wrong though and the Hyatt Globalists, Hilton Diamonds and Marriott Titaniums will be so impressed by their upgrade from bin view to high floor bin view with no free breakfast, lounge or other meaningful recognition they will ditch their former programme :rolleyes:

I know in practice that things can be better than this but it would seem to have made much more sense targeting Kimpton IC or IC RA at a small group of high spenders elsewhere.

Maybe the Marriott guest will be convinced that looking at a bin is better than sleeping in one.

Land-of-Miles Jun 27, 2019 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl (Post 31245287)

Maybe the Marriott guest will be convinced that looking at a bin is better than sleeping in one.

You can get both simply by staying at a UK HIX ;)

milesforhire Jun 27, 2019 12:05 pm

Do award stays count towards this status match? T&Cs slightly unclear; I don't see points mentioned or excluded specifically.

Qualifying Rates include most business and leisure rates, such as Advanced Purchase rates, Best Flexible rates, worldwide sales negotiated rates (including but not limited to Corporate Gold rates), national/regional/local government rates, and specified leisure rates as confirmed by SCH's reservation systems.

superally51 Jun 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Status matched

Just received notice today that I have been matched to Platinum Elite from Hilton Gold. It took about 8 or 9 days for the status to be matched.

Concerto Jun 27, 2019 3:42 pm

Wonder if I could do just this, matching to IHG Platinum from Hilton Gold. Only thing is, I got Hilton Gold through a status match from Hilton to "match" my IHG Gold status.

jn in ca Jun 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by milesforhire (Post 31246048)
Do award stays count towards this status match? T&Cs slightly unclear; I don't see points mentioned or excluded specifically.

Stephen Pepper on Frequent Miler said "no." IHG counts award nights for status, but only counts qualifying rate nights for Accelerate, and this clearly says "qualifying" nights.

If I had known, I wouldn't have bothered. I got matched to Spire, but my upcoming stays are all Pointbreaks. I won't possibly have 10 paid nights in 90 days. Although my new Spire status did get me an early check in yesterday.

joe_miami Jun 27, 2019 5:25 pm

When did you apply for the match and when did IHG reply? I did so late on Day 1 but still haven't heard back.

joe_miami Jun 28, 2019 7:01 pm

I just noticed I was matched to Spire, but I didn't receive an email. Between the status match and the overlapping promos (Double Points, Accelerate), this should be a winner for me, even if there's not a big difference between Platinum and Spire.

336 Jul 2, 2019 4:50 am

Sure, why not dilute their status more, all you can ever expect is a "thank you" for your loyalty".

rbAA Jul 3, 2019 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31250555)
I just noticed I was matched to Spire, but I didn't receive an email. Between the status match and the overlapping promos (Double Points, Accelerate), this should be a winner for me, even if there's not a big difference between Platinum and Spire.

Keep in mind that your Spire level is usually maintained even if you don't do the required number of nights/points simply by buying AMB in December. I pay the $200 each year and it rolls Spire for the next12 months, also get a BOGO (saved $300 with the last one at IC Hua Hin,) 15,000 points, and the 10% rebate on awards (17,000 rebate in 2019 so far.) OK so I had to call on the last two items as they don't always post.

And in addition to all the other bene's of Spire-wait, not much-I have gotten more than a thanks. Nicer (bigger) rooms and views; 20% off breakfast (usually not edible anyway so I always plan to go out; and I've even gotten suites, though mostly in Asia where the IHG properties, especially the HI's and HIX are much better.

There are so many IHG properties, I don't think it'll matter if they let in 2500 more. Especially if you're used to Marriwood or Hyatt. Especially if it's mostly US based stays, where HI's and some CP's can be poorer quality.