San Francisco Advice Needed

Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
The steep hills are just one negative. The rooms are small and many unusually shaped or laid out. The one I had on my last visit (which I swore was going to be my last visit,) was a little dated especially the worn out furniture. And remember to try the Top of the Mark for one of their $40 martinis (on a clear day, otherwise it's $30.). Ouch. And the front entrance can be quite the traffic jam going or coming.
6 people on the cable car at $7 each (OK seniors are only $3,) adds up quickly if you're using that as the primary means of getting around. And no "transfers" are allowed, so no hopping on and off, or transfer to the Powell street cable cars from the California St line without another $7 fare. I lived in the Gulch on Jones St a few blocks away, and only having a 10 speed and a Muni Pass (I could ride the cable car on that as I was like a half a block away from the Powell-Hyde line,) so even in my twenties I struggled with some of those hills.
I don't disagree with you that there are other "negatives" about the IC MH. My post was in direct response to the steep hills as a negative, and my advice to the OP is that the hills should not drive his decision.

Regarding your other post about IC SF, many "negatives" there too; perhaps that's why no one else has recommended there? IC MH is certainly a more authentic SF experience, and I believe the IC MH to be a more enjoyable experience than the IC SF.

Last edited by Troopers; Jun 25, 2019 at 10:44 pm
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:57 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Troopers
I don't disagree with you that there are other "negatives" about the IC MH. My post was in direct response to the steep hills as a negative, and my advice to the OP is that the hills should not drive his decision.

Regarding your other post about IC SF, many "negatives" there too; perhaps that's why no one else has recommended there? IC MH is certainly a more authentic SF experience, and I believe the IC MH to be a more enjoyable experience than the IC SF.
It depends on what you like. No place is perfect.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Over in the San Francisco forum the advice is usually to avoid Fisherman's Wharf as it's too touristy. However, since touristy stuff is what you're interested in and with your particular group travel around town will be challenging/costly, I think the HIX FW is your best choice.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
I have been to San Francisco many times and based on your description location is key. I would say hands down Fisher mans Wharf since you have kids in tow. This area offers the best in activities and walking about where kids would enjoy the town.
That said I would recommend the Holiday Inn Express at the Wharf. The other Holiday inn next door does not have free breakfast and saves money. You will pay parking at any hotel you stay at so do not even think about that cost.
From there you can walk to the wharf, museums, great restaurants, etc. Hope this helps
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I'm suggesting a different approach. You've said you're getting in at 11 p.m. By the time you get into the city, check in, and settle down, you're looking at 1 a.m. for getting to bed. You're going to need two rooms at least and probably a van or two taxis (Ubers, et al.) into San Francisco. And at the end of your trip, you're probably going to need to be back at SFO fairly early.

I'd find an IHG property nearer the airport with easy shuttle service and accessibility to BART or Caltrain. I doubt you're going to get up early the next morning, but there's no reason you can't be in the city by 11 a.m. Do a couple of hours of touristy things (hop on, hop off would be perfect), grab some lunch (Japantown for dim sum for a big group is great, but SF is a food town so you're probably OK no matter where you go), spend the afternoon with more touristy stuff, and then find dinner around 7 p.m. Two hours for dinner, back to your hotel by no later than 10 p.m., and you can maximize your sleep before you head home in the morning.

I love San Francisco, but I think you're overextending yourself and your family to try to go in the first night when you'll do nothing and to stay until the morning you leave when you'll probably need to head to the airport extremely early. Instead, give yourself two reasonable nights of sleep, don't try to shoehorn six people into the smaller IHG rooms in the city, and enjoy a relaxed afternoon/early evening in a place where you'd need a week just to skim the highlights.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Anyone who has been to both IC’s have any thoughts on how the two club lounges compare?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.