Wiki Posts
Search

Most awkward check-in

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Most awkward check-in

Some manager at Holiday Inn Express London ExCeL has had a bright idea to make the check-in process more engaging.

As I sign the document, the receptionist places a die on the desk and asks "would you like to roll the dice?"

"What for?", I, curious by nature, inquire. She points at a chart, which explains that Rewards Club members can earn extra rewards by rolling the die. Rolling a 6 gets you 500 extra points, rolling a 5 gets you 250pts, etc.

I thought what the hell, gave it a roll, and it came out as a 4. Which won me free parking. For a car I don't have.

"Would you like to roll again?" she said, clearly flatly bored of this scheme to "mandatory team building exercise" levels of disinterest. I rolled again, it came out as another 4. I rolled again, it came out as a 1. I check the chart, and next to 1, they've written "Unfortunately, you have not won a prize on this occasion "

"Or you can just choose which prize you want", she then said. "Yeah I'll take the 500 points, then."

This whole thing was so unnecessary and made the check-in experience cringey. Especially since the staff member was not interested in it in the slightest, and I could just taste the "my boss made it clear we have to do this" in the air.

Anyone else been subjected to something like this?
nancypants, klanfa, FFlash and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: QF WP
IIRC the doubletree in Cairns does something similar- possibly picking something out of a hat rather than rolling dice

i think I got a voucher for free breakfast, dated, which I couldn’t use as I had an early check out- or something similarly useless
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I hate anything which delays the check-in process. I just want to get to my room. I am not sure where marketers got the idea that people want to spend more rather than less time at check-in and why anyone would think that while you are engaged in playing board games, the people behind you have to wait longer.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I remember spinning a wheel once for similar bonuses, maybe at a Staybridge?

I'm happy with 500 or 1000 points for an extra 30 seconds of my time.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Equally cringe-worthy is the little flag they plonk on reception in some Holiday Inns, together with a ring on a bell. to signal the arrival of a Spire.

Maybe Platinum/Golds get different colour flags, and possibly no ring on the bell

Please, Just check me in and give me a key.
And no, I don't want to carry a paper bagwith a bottle of water in it to my room
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:06 am

I assume you are an adult and can formulate your wishes freely so that you do not have to do anything you do not want and instead get your room card as quickly as possible.
dk9, LAX_BillyJoe and remymartin like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
I recalled that HI Atrium in Singapore used to have such programs as well, ranging from drawing a "scratch and win" card to reveal what you have won or picking a ball from a box, etc. I haven't stayed there for a while, and not too sure if they are still doing some marketing campaign.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I think I've had a Kimpton present a small bucket to pull a secret password prize? Marriott Courtyard sometimes features a roulette wheel.

The flag and bell sounds awful!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Equally cringe-worthy is the little flag they plonk on reception in some Holiday Inns, together with a ring on a bell. to signal the arrival of a Spire.
Oh gosh, that's actively making me want to not reach Spire. ...not that I'm particularly beguiled by Spire in the first place.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
I hate anything which delays the check-in process. I just want to get to my room. I am not sure where marketers got the idea that people want to spend more rather than less time at check-in and why anyone would think that while you are engaged in playing board games, the people behind you have to wait longer.
But if it came to fussing about a room type change, a possible upgrade, confirm breakfast benefits etc I bet you would willingly delay the folks behind you just wanting to check in rather than “just get to the room”.

Do you object when the agent searches and hands you a letter from the manager? Offers water and snacks?

At Hilton many properties have Digital Key so that the customer can have zero human interaction. That might be a good alternative.

I wish free car parking was offered via dice in Hawaii!
:D! and MichaelBaku like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
I remember 2 check-ins at IC Davos where I got a pick from a bowl of rolled up prize tickets/vouchers. I kinda gently rolled my eyes expecting very little the first time around - and received a voucher for a bottle of wine from any bar/dining outlet. Which I was very pleased with, surprised to receive, and enjoyed tremendously. I don't recall exactly what I received the second time, something similar or free drinks etc, but I do remember looking forward to picking from the bowl that time.

I'd roll a dice for the chance of free car parking (just paid £24 last night at the IC o2) or pick a ticket for a bottle of wine etc all day long. But probably be less bothered and excited for the chance of 100 points or a kitkat upgrade.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:27 pm

I've had this a few times at the HIX Excel, and don't mind at all - you're right that they will basically give you whichever offer you want but it's a bit of fun and takes a few seconds and I've always found the staff at that hotel to be very good. Just shows that we are all different, I suppose (and it makes me remember the hotel, which is probably the idea)
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ag51
I've had this a few times at the HIX Excel, and don't mind at all - you're right that they will basically give you whichever offer you want but it's a bit of fun and takes a few seconds and I've always found the staff at that hotel to be very good. Just shows that we are all different, I suppose (and it makes me remember the hotel, which is probably the idea)
I concede that I could have felt differently about it if the staff member in question had showed even the slightest bit of enthusiasm for the scheme. However, in my case, she generally seemed almost annoyed that I was there, and the forced die-rolling made the brusque experience even worse. I opened by saying I was checking in and spelling out my funny foreign name, and she asks me what my name is. After a second go-around and some typing, she just casually keyed in £230 into the card reader without another word. As I was in the middle of putting in my PIN, she places the die on the desk and asks if I want to roll it, without any further explanation. Never even mind being welcomed as a Rewards Club member, given a welcome amenity, or... well, being welcomed at all.

I do agree with you though, I found the other staff members perfectly friendly; and the check-out clerk seemed almost personally embarrassed to hear my comments about the check-in experience, and gave me some blank drinks vouchers for my troubles.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I had a similar thing at the HIX in Glenrothes but far easier, Platinum and Spire (I believe) members could choose a piece of paper out of a bowl on reception and win whatever is on it. Think mine was a free drink and 500 points but it wasn't forced or even highlighted by staff, there was just a note next to to the Priority check in area pointing it out.

I stayed in HIX in Kingman, AZ a few months ago, sounds a bit similar to the "bell" situation, I was highlighted as member of the day on their whiteboard next to the reception and presented with a goodie bag. Goodie bag, fine but slightly embarrassing with your name highlighted for all to see and pointed at on reception.

Suppose it's the hotels way of showing appreciation etc though.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Ha! Most funny we had that wheel on family holiday. Kids asked what is that and then got explained to turn. Then all kids wanted to do that and staff got seeminly embarrassed they could not deny the game while they were obliged to share the gifts for all (by the book they might not).
To the point that i got embarrassed too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.