Transfer IHG Points to Airline Transfer Time

Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Transfer IHG Points to Airline Transfer Time

I know the transfer rate is not great, but I am heavy on IHG points. I need to top off an upcoming Points flight and thought I would use the IHG points.

The IHG website does not have any transfers times. Some basic Googling says it could take up to 8 weeks. Has anyone transferred points and how long did it take to hit the airline account?

Thanks
TD
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...sfer-time.html

From what I gather, they use a third party. It sounds like this third party transfers twice per month.

I just transferred some today. My guess is that I either missed the first transfer of the month on the 12th, and will need to wait until the 26th. Or the first transfer will be on the 19th, with the next happening on February 2nd.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:19 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I know the transfer rate is not great, but I am heavy on IHG points. I need to top off an upcoming Points flight and thought I would use the IHG points.

The IHG website does not have any transfers times. Some basic Googling says it could take up to 8 weeks. Has anyone transferred points and how long did it take to hit the airline account?

Thanks
TD
I'll keep you posted....ongoing thread here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...-how-long.html

*Update*

My IHG to AA transfer time was 7-days total, last Saturday to today. ^
Traveler Dave likes this.

Last edited by Tony300S; Jan 19, 2019 at 2:27 pm Reason: UPDATE
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Day 8: still waiting

I transferred 100,000 IHG points to my EK Skywards account on 11/16/19. The points were deducted immediately from my IHG account . As of today ( Nov 24), there is no sign of these transferred points.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Day 10, No points transferred

Originally Posted by gpicur
I transferred 100,000 IHG points to my EK Skywards account on 11/16/19. The points were deducted immediately from my IHG account . As of today ( Nov 24), there is no sign of these transferred points.
Day 10 , no sign of the 20000 EK points I bought with 100,000 IHG points
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
I transferred IHG to SIA KrisFlyer Program before. Based on my memory, it takes around 2 weeks or more for it to appear in the SIA account.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 6:18 am

Day 13, No Transfer

Originally Posted by hclee01
I transferred IHG to SIA KrisFlyer Program before. Based on my memory, it takes around 2 weeks or more for it to appear in the SIA account.
Thanks HCLee for your input. I am on Day 13 since IHG took 100,000 points from my Ambassador Account for 20,000 EK miles and neither IHG nor EK can tell me where the points are.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 7:48 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Rang IHG on 26 November and transferred 30,000 points to BA. Just looked today (30 Nov) and it’s in my BA account crediting with the 35% bonus miles which totals 8,100 miles...
Old Nov 30, 2019, 9:45 am

Could take time

The time depends on both parties responding to the request. For all you know the issue could be at the airlines' end. Etihad told me it could take as long as 6 weeks to post.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
I had posted these details on a link above. Here is the main point from the link:

I can add a little more info/data.

I happened to talk to IHG yesterday about some upcoming bookings. I ranted about the long transfer time. The rep seemed pretty knowledgeable, and explained that they use a third party for these transfers, so that might explain a little.

And then today, the points arrived in my AsiaMiles account. It shows both the transfer date and the credit date. I made the first transfer on 12/4. Then on 12/11, when the points had not arrived, I transferred another 100K, thinking that perhaps there was some error with the first. They both credited on Saturday, 12/15/18.

I went back and looked at my transfer from December 2017. I transferred on 12/15/17, and it credited on Saturday, 2/16/17.

Just speculating, but perhaps this third party transfers at the close of business on a Friday in the middle of the month, and it credits with AsiaMiles (and other partners?) on that Saturday.

Maybe IHG just transfers points to partners twice a month? So transferring on, say, the 2nd of the month might mean it'll take 2 weeks, while transferring on the 14th might mean it'll take a day or two.
QasimDar69 and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 5:02 am

11 days and counting to AA miles
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:55 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by poppyz
11 days and counting to AA miles
I guess probably need to wait for at least 2 weeks for the points to show up in the FFP account. I have transferred IHG Rewards Points to SQ KF miles around 10 days ago, nothing is showing up as yet.
Old May 10, 2021, 10:25 am

Just recieved today 56 days never again !!!!
wsc likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.